Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 12:45 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,274 Likes on 793 Posts

OFFICIAL : Kubi on track next weel

Matin = am
Après-midi= pm

3 free practice 1 for him in 2018 : Spain, Austria and another race Williams will choose.

Last edited by BKorsaire; 02-23-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:17 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Old 02-23-2018, 03:19 PM
Z06PSI
Team Owner

Received 245 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

I am back to keep this thread on track.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:31 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles

Comparison between W08 and W09 by French site
Wheelbase and rake are virtually unchanged according ingénieur Andy Cowell

Last edited by BKorsaire; 02-23-2018 at 03:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BKorsaire:
BrianCunningham (02-26-2018), sunsalem (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 03:42 PM
Z06PSI
Team Owner

Received 245 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

I knew the teams would be copying Ferrari's inlets.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:07 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z06PSI
I am back to keep this thread on track.
We didn't know it was off-track...

You think maybe this time you can be respectful of other members and not shovel **** in every corner?
Old 02-24-2018, 06:34 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

I THINK the 2018 cars look cool, but I can’t tell because the only thing I can really see is that unbelievably unattractive Halo. What an eye sore that thing is. I think there needs to be an emergency meeting to rip all those things off and figure out how to make a canopy work instead.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:58 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,391 Likes on 744 Posts

My input on the halo (and a windscreen/canopy as well) is that they (and Indycar) are trying to solve problems that don't really exist. Can impacts happen? Sure, it happened once, just in the past couple of years, and that's tragic.

So, what are the odds of that happening again? Just as rare as Wilson's accident was before that freak event occurred. So, they've eliminated that risk with the halo, and maybe with Indycar's windscreen (although I doubt it).

Now, how has the risk increased for driver egress? You can't just unclip the halo, nor the windscreen. I've not read anything about that issue, and I have a real hard time believing the impact is zero.

As far as asthetics go, I'll get used to them. Heck, F1 cars remind me of a high speed food blender now with all the aero elements sticking out of the bodywork, and I'm OK with them.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 02-24-2018, 08:10 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

I'm having a hard time with that halo wart too. Apart from the aesthetic aspect, which even those who do not consider aesthetics to be important, find it horrible, I would say that the other point concerns the pilot who is deprived of ventilation. I don't know how the teams solved this problem because, being ventilated, as before, the indoor temperature reached 60° C for drivers in hot countries.

I think F1 will have found something more aesthetic when Mr. Todt will go ! and I hope he doesn't get an extra mandate yet.

Last edited by BKorsaire; 02-24-2018 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Pic cockpit halo added
Old 02-24-2018, 09:47 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

One lap with halo, no sorry, with Valtteri Bottas

https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/mer...eq-power-plus/
Old 02-24-2018, 11:52 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
I THINK the 2018 cars look cool, but I can’t tell because the only thing I can really see is that unbelievably unattractive Halo. What an eye sore that thing is. I think there needs to be an emergency meeting to rip all those things off and figure out how to make a canopy work instead.
Maybe we will have to go to a closed canopy like LMP1 cars?
After watching the Bottas video below, I can't see a future for the Halo.

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr

As far as asthetics go, I'll get used to them. Heck, F1 cars remind me of a high speed food blender now with all the aero elements sticking out of the bodywork, and I'm OK with them.

Have a good one,
Mike
I have to agree (reluctantly)...after a race or 2, we will probably stop talking about it.

Originally Posted by BKorsaire
One lap with halo, no sorry, with Valtteri Bottas

https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/mer...eq-power-plus/
That's HORRIBLE!
If the video POV is really what the driver sees, I can't see how it could be workable piece of kit.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:43 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Characteristic chassis 2017. Certain teams will increase the rake, of which Ferrari

La plus longue The longest
La plus courte The shortest
La plus penchée The most leaning

For 2018, Ferrari has increased its wheelbase. As a result, she borrowed and from RBR and Mercedes, I can't wait to see the result.

The small article indicates that Ferrari decided to follow the RBR school in 2018. The teams will start to show their F1 on Monday (Renault presented a hybrid, not the real F1 2018), new parts will appear, we will know very soon. But I don't think Mercedes will follow this concept, his car is dominating, the team will correct Diva's mistakes : Andy Cowell said there would be no change to rake and wheelbase for the W09. Ferrari, on the other hand, is doubling its aggressiveness: the design of the mirrors letting the air flow around the mirrors to feed the top of the pontoon is brilliant.

Last edited by BKorsaire; 02-24-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:12 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

FIA closed engine loophole in an effort to make customer engines equal to manufacturer's:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...gine_equality/

This could be a big, big deal in 2018.
IMO, it might make the grid more competitive.
Time will tell if it actually works.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:16 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by BKorsaire
Ferrari, on the other hand, is doubling its aggressiveness: the design of the mirrors letting the air flow around the mirrors to feed the top of the pontoon is brilliant.
Very clever by Ferrari.
Here is what brilliant mirror design looks like:

Old 02-24-2018, 06:58 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Very clever by Ferrari.
Here is what brilliant mirror design looks like:
So, this looks like the mirrors move to a horizontal position for airflow purposes?
Old 02-25-2018, 02:03 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

So, this looks like the mirrors move to a horizontal position for airflow purposes?

One of the stand-out features of the Ferrari SF71-H, launched on Thursday, is its tiny sidepods, which have shrunk dramatically compared to its predecessor, the three-time race winning SF70-H.
Whilst the reduced size of the sidepod inlets is likely down to a number of factors, which could include improved engine reliability and therefore reduced cooling requirements, plus a larger central airbox – although this is partly down to the Halo creating disturbance in this area – another key factor is the SF71-H's unusual wing mirrors.
Mirrors might not seem an obvious area for development, after all their primary function is to allow the driver to see what's behind him – although it's debatable as to just how effective they are at doing that – but with designers looking for any gain, no matter how small, they can't be ignored.
Teams will often play with the mirror stem, shaping it to create better airflow, but Ferrari have taken this a step further. The Scuderia have actually opened up the front of the mirror to create a duct to channel the air inside the casing, but around the mirror itself, and directly into the sidepod, increasing the amount of air passing through the radiators located inside the sidepods.
However it doesn't enter through the traditional inlet, but through an upper opening.
As you can see from the image, the mirrors are perfectly aligned with the openings on the tops of the sidepods on either side.

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...idepod_inlets/

Last edited by sunsalem; 02-25-2018 at 02:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BrianCunningham (02-26-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 07:18 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sunsalem
However it doesn't enter through the traditional inlet, but through an upper opening. As you can see from the image, the mirrors are perfectly aligned with the openings on the tops of the sidepods on either side.
Yeah, I saw that article. But, it only talks about the mirror housing and its front opening, but not about the actual mirror itself. If the mirror is in it's fixed, traditional position (which I think would be a spec requirement), then I don't see how you could get enough airflow around the mirror inside the mirror housing) to make any significant difference going into the side pods (or pontoons as BK calls them).

Now, if Ferrari have found a weakness in the regs that would allow them to rotate the mirror to where it's parallel to the airflow, then that would be:

1. Brilliant, as BK points out
2. Risky, as the mirrors are most likely rotated parallel at the end of a straight, right when you most need them in a passing situation
3. Will quickly be banned

BTW, this brings up the question: why hasn't any F1 team investigated using a rear camera, similar to what's used in LeMans cars? Sure, right now you don't have the room for a display, and I know there's a current reg for having 2 mirrors, but that seems an obvious idea that I've not heard anyone even playing around with.

Anyway, on to testing!

Have a good one,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To F1 Chat Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 11:30 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 735 Likes on 545 Posts

Rear view camera?
"Because a-what-is-a-behind-a-me is-a-not important"
VetteDrmr (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 11:52 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Yeah, I saw that article. But, it only talks about the mirror housing and its front opening, but not about the actual mirror itself. If the mirror is in it's fixed, traditional position (which I think would be a spec requirement), then I don't see how you could get enough airflow around the mirror inside the mirror housing) to make any significant difference going into the side pods (or pontoons as BK calls them).

Now, if Ferrari have found a weakness in the regs that would allow them to rotate the mirror to where it's parallel to the airflow, then that would be:

1. Brilliant, as BK points out
2. Risky, as the mirrors are most likely rotated parallel at the end of a straight, right when you most need them in a passing situation
3. Will quickly be banned
I tried to find a pic that shows the mirrors up close, particularly from the rear of the car looking forward.
Anyway, as far as I can tell there isn't one available yet.
However, I did find the pic below.

I'm not sure, but it looks the mirror itself might rotate in the housing...like a flap maybe?

BTW, this brings up the question: why hasn't any F1 team investigated using a rear camera, similar to what's used in LeMans cars? Sure, right now you don't have the room for a display, and I know there's a current reg for having 2 mirrors, but that seems an obvious idea that I've not heard anyone even playing around with.
I think you identified the reason why: no room to put a screen in the cockpit.
BrianCunningham (02-26-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 11:54 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Rear view camera?
"Because a-what-is-a-behind-a-me is-a-not important"
Spoken like a TRUE racer...