Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 09:05 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
When he backed off on that corner when he had the momentum and inside line; (from Vettel’s tyres giving him understeer?), I couldn’t believe it. I thought he was an actual racer. Guess I was wrong.
I wonder if he feared he couldn't pull if off without banging into Vettel?
Had he done that it's possible he could have damaged his own car or punted Vettel out of the race and incurred the wrath of the stewards.
Just saying....
Old 04-08-2018, 09:32 PM
Erik L
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Very exciting race at the end. I too can't wait until all 3 top teams are on point at the end of the race.

Great result for Magnusen and Gasly, fun to see.

I agree with Sunsalem. I dont think we should be too quick to judge Bottas, I was a little surprised he could not bring a little more. Looking forward to hearing more from the peanut gallery on possible reasons he could not.

Also wondering why the Mercs were a little off the pace all weekend (rear tire overheating issues). I suspect they will be a juggernaut next race.

One thing about the Liberty announcements that seems particularly exciting is the roll back of the fuel restrictions they are talking about. That might make more excitement because they dont have to conserve fuel and can fight all race? IDK probably just work out so one team has a huge advantage again for a while.

Last edited by Erik L; 04-08-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:38 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Ok, THAT was fun to watch! Excellent race by Vettel, Bottas, I don't know. Hamilton's communication issues *might* have made the difference, but Merc's always tough on rear tires, so maybe not.

Raikonnen's incident: I hope FIA comes down on Ferrari with a large hammer.

Haas: Great pace by Magnussen. Grosjean looked frustrated.

And then there's Red Bull. I haven't read what happened to Verstappen, but looked like DR's just died on him.

Ok, on to ESPN/Liberty. SOMEONE listened, because the coverage of both qualifying and the race was the best possible; no commercial breaks! Couldn't have been a bigger difference possible.

On to China!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-09-2018, 02:43 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,275 Likes on 794 Posts

The teams were inventive in terms of tyre strategy. Strategies were very varied in Sakhir. The drivers made two stops but the first three and Marcus Ericsson made only one, with very different tyre choices: SS then S for Sebastian Vettel, SS then M for Valtteri Bottas, and S then M for Hamilton and Ericsson.

The strategies at two stops were also varied. Alonso, Vandoorne, Ocon, Pérez, Leclerc and Sirotkin even used the 3 different types of tyres.

Grosjean had to make 3 stops, because of the parts he was losing on his single-seater, notably the left bargeboard, hampering the performance of the flat bottom and the rear spoiler. The mechanics must have ripped something off. The strength of the parts is still a problem at Haas.

Very brilliant overtaking of Hamilton, aspiration on Nando then Hulk and Ocon, 3 at once. The caprices of "La Diva'' have not all disappeared totally : the rear tyres overheat, I saw in Q3, the rear tyres mounted on the #44 without having been removed from the heating blankets. There will not be this problem in China and Pirelli will develop tyres more suited to Mercedes for Catalunya, Le Castellet and Baku, tracks renewed.

Last edited by BKorsaire; 04-09-2018 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Vidéo
Old 04-09-2018, 03:07 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Erik L

Also wondering why the Mercs were a little off the pace all weekend (rear tire overheating issues). I suspect they will be a juggernaut next race.
This is the 2nd race in a row where it seemed Ferrari power was > than MB.
Has another powerunit manufacturer really caught up to MB or will it ultimately be just wishful thinking?

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr

As long as it's a gigantic fine, I'm fine with it.
And then there's Red Bull. I haven't read what happened to Verstappen
For the record, Max says he left LH room, but Lewis didn't want to give up the spot.
looked like DR's just died on him.
Electrical failure of some type.
Ok, on to ESPN/Liberty. SOMEONE listened, because the coverage of both qualifying and the race was the best possible; no commercial breaks! Couldn't have been a bigger difference possible.
It isn't ESPN, it's just that the World Feed has no commercials.
After ESPN gets their tail out from under their legs, I expect they will program commercials again (as NBC did).
Old 04-09-2018, 07:03 AM
Erik L
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah I dont see how it can be sustainable to to keep showing the races with out commercials. I was happy with the coverage. I miss the old team a little but happy with the world feed, its nice to have former drivers commenting who drove the cars in the recent past.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:32 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Had he done that it's possible he could have damaged his own car or punted Vettel out of the race and incurred the wrath of the stewards.
Just saying....
Champions have that killer instinct. Senna, Schumi, LH and Vettel would have made the attempt, Ricciardo, Massa, Webber likely don't.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:39 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

Just saying....
He had tons of room and the momentum. Not taking the opportunity to pass in that corner cost him a race win, and that’s what they all want; a first place trophy, not a second.

I could see being strategic if it’s towards the end of the season and you are winning the DC and want to keep the points; but the second race and you bottle out? Seriously?
Old 04-09-2018, 11:26 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Ok, THAT was fun to watch! Excellent race by Vettel, Bottas, I don't know. Hamilton's communication issues *might* have made the difference, but Merc's always tough on rear tires, so maybe not.

Haas: Great pace by Magnussen. Grosjean looked frustrated.

And then there's Red Bull. I haven't read what happened to Verstappen, but looked like DR's just died on him.

On to China!

Have a good one,
Mike
Amazing coverage , if for no other reason, NO COMMERCIAL BREAKS!!!
Old 04-09-2018, 12:55 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

For the record, Max says he left LH room, but Lewis didn't want to give up the spot.
That I understand, but I was meaning his retirement after leaving the pits.

It isn't ESPN, it's just that the World Feed has no commercials.
After ESPN gets their tail out from under their legs, I expect they will program commercials again (as NBC did).
Yeah, but the fact that ESPN/Liberty (don't know who made it happen, just glad it did) didn't screw up the feed was fantastic.

BTW, there was one mention of who sponsored the coverage: Mother's car finishes. The fact that I remember that shows that it's not the incessant bombarding of commercials that works, it's the commercials that you pay attention to.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-09-2018, 12:56 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Erik L
I miss the old team a little but happy with the world feed, its nice to have former drivers commenting who drove the cars in the recent past.
I'm not ashamed to admit my missing NBC's team.
They taught me an awful lot about F1 over the last 20 some years.
There was a certain comfort having the same crew year end and year out (like an old bath robe ) and they had real chemistry with each other.
That said, I like the insights of Paul Di Resta and Martin Brundle.
The other guys are useless to me.

Originally Posted by 93Polo
Champions have that killer instinct. Senna, Schumi, LH and Vettel would have made the attempt.
You're right about killer instinct.
The great ones do have it, and sometimes even the not-so-great.

Originally Posted by thebishman
He had tons of room and the momentum. Not taking the opportunity to pass in that corner cost him a race win, and that’s what they all want; a first place trophy, not a second.

I could see being strategic if it’s towards the end of the season and you are winning the DC and want to keep the points; but the second race and you bottle out? Seriously?
At this point in time, I think all Bottas cares about is finishing ahead of his teammate.
His seat is definitely up for grabs for next season.

If Ricciardo doesn't go to Ferrari (as the rumor now currently is) there is a strong possibility IMO he will end up at MB.
It seems DR thinks he can never be #1 at RB with Max there.

Last edited by sunsalem; 04-09-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:14 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

That I understand, but I was meaning his retirement after leaving the pits.
Oh, that.
In a post-race interview, Max said the differential bit the dust.

Yeah, but the fact that ESPN/Liberty (don't know who made it happen, just glad it did) didn't screw up the feed was fantastic.
Agreed.
Had they DID, boy oh boy...wouldn't U.S. fans be burning up the internet now.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:25 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

A picture paints a thousand words at Williams:

Martin Brundle's Post-Race Analysis:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...ss_in_Bahrain/

Kimi slammed for being uncaring:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...mechanics_leg/

Porsche can do it:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6..._upgraded_919/
Old 04-09-2018, 01:26 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Old 04-09-2018, 08:04 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Not convinced that MB has greater power than Ferrari. Certainly was not the case in qualifying. Bottas really didn't make an impression on Vettel until the end of the race when his tires were well worn. From 4th place on down the competition against MB & Ferrari was pitiful. Let's hope that RB can mix it up. McLaren wasn't even competitive and the facial expressions on Zac Browns face told the story.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:26 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

The Renault powerunit still isn't on the same page as MB's or Ferrari's.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:34 AM
Z06PSI
Team Owner

Received 245 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

the renault powerunit still isn't on the same page as mb's or ferrari's.
Name:  captainobvious_medium.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  21.3 KB

Get notified of new replies

To F1 Chat Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 04:10 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,275 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by bcmarly
Not convinced that MB has greater power than Ferrari. Certainly was not the case in qualifying. Bottas really didn't make an impression on Vettel until the end of the race when his tires were well worn. From 4th place on down the competition against MB & Ferrari was pitiful. Let's hope that RB can mix it up. McLaren wasn't even competitive and the facial expressions on Zac Browns face told the story.
Salut Bobby ! Tu vas bien ? Dis à Mansour qu'il faut revoir le châssis pour Barcelone , je suis désespéré pour Woking. I hope they will not be as Williams.

The Renault powerunit still isn't on the same page as MB's or Ferrari's.
For sure, and Renault will have to work because the Honda is amazing and STR will fight to be the 4th force. This is why Renault wants to introduce a 4th PU : to introduce a series of innovations with this PU. Honda has already announced that it will have 5, again to introduce development.

if we compare RBR and Mc, it is obvious that the Mc châssis is not at the level of that of the soda makers. The introduction of the PU Renault was late.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:33 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Someone on another forum I'm on wrote a thank you to Mothers for the coverage, and this was the response he got:

Dear Rick,

Thank you very much for letting us know of your positive experience with the Formula 1 2018 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix. The response to the commercial-free airing of the race has been over-the-top. After the first race, we knew something had to change. Fortunately, ESPN is a great partner, and was eager to look at and adjust the broadcast to create a truly immersive experience. Our hope is to continue the season in this new format, giving the U.S. a fresh and exciting way to watch Formula 1 racing.

Thank you again for your support and kind words, but more importantly thank you for being a Formula 1 fan.

Sincerely,

Dennis Holloway
CEO
Mothers Polishes Waxes Cleaners
So when you guys need new car cleaning products, supporting Mothers wouldn't be the worst idea...
Old 04-10-2018, 10:03 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by BKorsaire

For sure, and Renault will have to work because the Honda is amazing and STR will fight to be the 4th force. This is why Renault wants to introduce a 4th PU : to introduce a series of innovations with this PU. Honda has already announced that it will have 5, again to introduce development.
If Honda gets 5, I think it's fair that Renault should get 5 too.

if we compare RBR and Mc, it is obvious that the Mc châssis is not at the level of that of the soda makers. The introduction of the PU Renault was late.
Yes, I do recall McLaren saying something about having to modify their 2018 car considerably to make the Renault fit.
They may have modified it too much.

Originally Posted by mattastick

So when you guys need new car cleaning products, supporting Mothers wouldn't be the worst idea...
Mother's does have quality products.
Thank you for the reminder.