Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 10:23 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by mattastick
Someone on another forum I'm on wrote a thank you to Mothers for the coverage, and this was the response he got:

So when you guys need new car cleaning products, supporting Mothers wouldn't be the worst idea...
I’ll be buying their stuff this weekend to thank them
Old 04-10-2018, 10:32 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Analysis of Vettel's victory in Bahrain:
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2018/...-pull-a-punch/

Ricciardo denies signing with Ferrari:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...al__Ricciardo/

Bottas' killer instinct...or not:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...owheel_racing/
As 93Polo and thebishman discussed earlier, there seems to be a real concern in the paddock now.

Some Bahrain conclusions:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...x_conclusions/

Chinese Grand Prix Broadcast Schedule:

All times EST Practice 1 - Thursday, April 12 10:00 PM - ESPN3
Practice 2 - Friday, April 13 2:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 3 - Friday, April 13 11:00 PM - ESPNEWS
Qualifying - Saturday, April 14 2:00 AM - ESPN2
Race - Sunday, April 15 2:00 AM - ESPN2
Old 04-10-2018, 10:58 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,276 Likes on 794 Posts

Some news about F1 and around :

2 new teams in bzzzzz formula, Formula E if you prefer, and not the least, an ex F1 player and a major F1 player : Porsche and Mercedes. Nico Rosberg as announced today that he is one of the shareholders of Formule E. He will participate at a show with a FE of last season. Bzzzzz, not for me ! F1 and grid girls yes ! oh grid girls ? Singapour too want to negociate as Monaco and Russia to have grid girds even without placards.

F1 : Sainz said he ended the Bahreïn GP with tyres in agony and had just gasoline fumes in the tank to pilot until the final line : pretext ? I can't find the flamboyant Carlito from STR, on the "Palmerization" way ? gasly would be very happy for this place at RBR, he became Marko's "chouchou" but Marko is as fast as the snake's head to turn away...

Last edited by BKorsaire; 04-10-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:19 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

I'll be supporting Mother's products!
Now, let's get to work on those grid girls...
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 11:39 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles

La suite (the following ?) :

Honda is targeting a 27-HP increase for the Canadian Grand Prix in June. Honda has learned a lot from its unfortunate experiences during 3 years, ce qui explique la rapidité du correctif entre Melbourne et Bahreïn and knows that now it is necessary to work on the ERS MGU H and K, especially H which can also supply energy to the K to increase the speed at the end of the straight line. 27HP, it's a lot. I didn't think Honda was able of that, I've denigrated Honda in the past, Lord forgive my sin !

Last edited by BKorsaire; 04-10-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:00 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,395 Likes on 748 Posts

Just sent Mother's a note of appreciation as well. Thanks for the gentle prod to let them know!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-10-2018, 12:19 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 369 Likes on 316 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by sunsalem
You're right about killer instinct.
The great ones do have it, and sometimes even the not-so-great.
Bottas' killer instinct...or not:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...owheel_racing/
As 93Polo and thebishman discussed earlier, there seems to be a real concern in the paddock now.
Thank for the updates

I think Bottas would be in a better place even if he tried to make the pass and for it not to stick than what he did. He is a reliable points tallying #2 it seems. Ferrari made that work for years. So who knows.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:21 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Old 04-10-2018, 12:28 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by BKorsaire
La suite (the following ?) :

Honda is targeting a 27-HP increase for the Canadian Grand Prix in June. Honda has learned a lot from its unfortunate experiences during 3 years, ce qui explique la rapidité du correctif entre Melbourne et Bahreïn and knows that now it is necessary to work on the ERS MGU H and K, especially H which can also supply energy to the K to increase the speed at the end of the straight line. 27HP, it's a lot. I didn't think Honda was able of that, I've denigrated Honda in the past, Lord forgive my sin !
The more powerunit manufacturers, the better IMO.
One of F1's biggest problems right now is there is too few competitive ones.
Hopefully, this will be straightened out in 2021.

Last edited by sunsalem; 04-10-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:29 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

It wasn't Grosjean's best race, for sure.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:45 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

It really wasn't.
Occasionally, he has a race like this.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:42 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by bcmarly
Not convinced that MB has greater power than Ferrari. Certainly was not the case in qualifying. Bottas really didn't make an impression on Vettel until the end of the race when his tires were well worn. From 4th place on down the competition against MB & Ferrari was pitiful. Let's hope that RB can mix it up. McLaren wasn't even competitive and the facial expressions on Zac Browns face told the story.
I think Mercedes has rolled the dice betting their power and drivers can get them front row starts....as such they have built the aero to be superior in clean air but they are not good in dirty air. They just don't seem to do well in the straights when behind the Ferrari's. Appears they have a tough time closing in the last 50 meters or so when trying to catch them.

Just my observation.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:14 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by TrackAire
I think Mercedes has rolled the dice betting their power and drivers can get them front row starts....as such they have built the aero to be superior in clean air but they are not good in dirty air.
I hadn't considered that possibility.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:46 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

I think Mercedes has rolled the dice betting their power and drivers can get them front row starts....as such they have built the aero to be superior in clean air but they are not good in dirty air. They just don't seem to do well in the straights when behind the Ferrari's. Appears they have a tough time closing in the last 50 meters or so when trying to catch them.

Just my observation.
You have right, it's what say the experts F1. the W09 is built to start ahead.

What I read this am in French press F1 about ESPN USA, translation by web for you. Great victory by the F1 fans US.

"The American broadcaster ESPN has confirmed that its qualifying and race broadcasts during the Grand Prix will no longer be interrupted by advertising in 2018.
Following an Australian Grand Prix that caused a lot of fan criticism about the quality of its broadcast, which included several commercial breaks, ESPN responded by broadcasting the Bahrain Grand Prix without commercials this weekend.
And the network decided to apply this recipe for the rest of the season. "We intend to present F1 races this way for the remainder of the 2018 season," said Burke Magnus, ESPN Executive Vice President of Programming. "F1 fans are passionate and we listened to a lot of their feedback; fans are very informed and the feedback we got was polite and constructive. They helped us."

"We don't have a completely finished product but we are very happy with the way the changes after Australia were received. We will continue to work to improve it for the fans."

ESPN actually broadcasts the F1 coverage of Sky Sports, including the pre-race show "On The Grid", but doesn't focus too much on the coverage before or after the events.

The channel announced that the Bahrain GP on ESPN2 averaged 682,914 viewers, the largest audience for a F1 race on cable since the 2012 US Grand Prix on SPEED Channel."

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Last edited by BKorsaire; 04-11-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:57 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

BK, good catch. I just read the same article and came here to post it. First time in a VERY long time that I've seen viewership responses result in a significant change at ESPN.

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/148593-...l-season-s-end

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-11-2018, 09:10 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BKorsaire

F1 : Sainz said he ended the Bahreïn GP with tyres in agony and had just gasoline fumes in the tank to pilot until the final line : pretext ? I can't find the flamboyant Carlito from STR, on the "Palmerization" way ? gasly would be very happy for this place at RBR, he became Marko's "chouchou" but Marko is as fast as the snake's head to turn away...
Yeah, Sainz' future will be interesting. If he continues with good 1 lap pace, but struggles in the race, I think RBR will pass on him, especially if Gastly keeps driving well this year.

I hope Sainz gets his act together, otherwise Hulk and Renault will continue to be a 1 car team this year.

Just my observation.
It's not just the straights, but the corners as well. In Australia this year, and even going back to Mexico last year, Hamilton was not able to run close with other cars. I had hoped Merc would fix that issue this year, but it doesn't seem to have happened. They seemed to have focused on widening the peak that the car had last year, setup-wise, but did nothing to address the car running in dirty air. Hopefully it makes for a better championship this year

Bahrain was difficult for Bottas because he had significantly better tires than Vettel, but Vettel was saving his hybrid energy and deploying it on the straights manually. This was what kept Bottas back, combined with his seeming lack of killer instinct or following team orders to save the points he was getting.

Last edited by mattastick; 04-11-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:17 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
BK, good catch. I just read the same article and came here to post it. First time in a VERY long time that I've seen viewership responses result in a significant change at ESPN.

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/148593-...l-season-s-end

Have a good one,
Mike
That is good news, and surprising.
Did not expect this from ESPN...

Originally Posted by mattastick
Yeah, Sainz' future will be interesting. If he continues with good 1 lap pace, but struggles in the race, I think RBR will pass on him, especially if Gastly keeps driving well this year.

I hope Sainz gets his act together, otherwise Hulk and Renault will continue to be a 1 car team this year.
I'm sure he will get his act together.
It has always been true that The Hulk has outdriven his teammates.

Get notified of new replies

To F1 Chat Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 11:27 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

That is good news, and surprising.
Did not expect this from ESPN...

MAJOR points for ESPN, and Mother's products if they continue to be the sole support.
If this trend continues, I'll be forced to retract all those nasty things I've been saying!
Old 04-11-2018, 02:37 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Tech updates
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/a...-tech-updates/
Old 04-12-2018, 03:23 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nowanker
If this trend continues, I'll be forced to retract all those nasty things I've been saying!
Nah, don't do that.
Liberty and ESPN deserve every ounce of "those nasty things" you've been saying...