Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 01:50 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by pjazz
Practice one just started on ESPN 3.
I stopped watching Practices last year.
Several of the announcers on the World Feed are irritating IMO.
And life is just too short to spend it being annoyed...
Old 03-15-2019, 01:56 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by BKorsaire
No conclusions yet, but lessons learned.

Lewis is still called Hamilton, surprise, for me, Le Clerc is very close to V4, 36 thousandths. The Honda works well, even at STR. Alfa is there but Renault P10 and P17, electronic issue for Hulk. Williams very far away. Ham V 26 laps, the 2 Féfé each 18, Bobo 29.

The first three don't let go. FP1 2019 faster than 2018.
VERY interesting results.
I don't know if this is indicative of where everyone really is, but it does provide fodder for some great speculation.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:01 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Old 03-15-2019, 03:05 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,274 Likes on 793 Posts

The top 3 pilots did 33 laps each one.
Ham V hits very hard. Battle between the 2 Stuutgart for the P1, they are far ahead. I remember Dr. Marko "we are ahead of Mercedes"....in a mad dream I guess

The RS19 of Hulk had a badly calibrated electronic box, it was necessary to dismantle parts to be tested to place them on Ricci's car, hence the delay on the track of the 2 RS19.

At the very end of the session, we heard no ''powa, no powa...''', who from? Gasly Honda and Leclerc were complaining about his gearbox.

I think that as usual, Ferrari is preparing the long runs on Friday and will show its muscles on Saturday but Mercedes is not at all dumped, it is not yet at its maximum.

We will see tomorrow which of the two speed philosophies (fins and barge board) will be right.

About Charlie Whiting : he died while sleeping.

Last edited by BKorsaire; 03-15-2019 at 03:08 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:14 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Dr. Marko "we are ahead of Mercedes"....in a mad dream I guess
They're .8 behind Merco, who no doubt have the engines turned down still, and only .1-.25 ahead of Renault, someone they were supposed to have a huge gap to... Maybe the Hondas are also turned way down, and they'll gain significantly with their new party mode, but I doubt that much...

I saw someplace that someone thought McLaren would be towards the front of F1.5, but that's clearly not the case.

The fiance and I watched the first few episodes of Drive to Survive, and she loves it. I'm enjoying it as well, but am not a huge fan of how they're focusing so heavily on 1-2 drivers per episode. If they end up covering the whole field, then it'll be fine, but we'll see.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:57 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles

I would be very surprised if the Salzburg cans were head of the silver arrows ! the 3 demons of RBR spit every day shamelessly on Renault and now with the help of Franz Tost yesterday, it's not very professional ! but I learn that Maxoo will have a new chassis tomorrow, RBR does not specify why !!!! I wonder if this has nothing to do with the vibrations of the Honda better controlled in the Dual Can /STR. This could lead to carbon delamination. Honda said about Gasly's engine that the power loss was not a cause for concern, okay, then zen and wait and see tomorrow. I am worry by Mc.

Seb seemed very irritated by the domination of the Merco's by saying that they were bluffing in Catalunya: hey, petit guy, F1 is not a playground but the big boys' yard ! pressure ? yet ? stop whining and go for it because Leclerc is at your beck and call ! V4 risks his head this year as Bobo de Merco, Ocon (or Ricci) are waiting... Hulk, good, a real competitor

Last edited by BKorsaire; 03-15-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:36 AM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Very interesting!

im inteigued to see how close my prediction will be!

I think MB are gonna be very close in quali but in the race will be a different story.
They look very stiffly sprung and the car gets unsettled over curbs. Probably accelerated tire wear for the race.

Ferrari will turn up but I think they realize that even then, they are further behind than they expected.

Race pace they should be ahead but not by much.

RB look very strng as well. Newey looked pleased (?) on the pit wall.
I would say at least one Honda will tetire from the race, probably 2.

With the midfield being so much closer, Im going to look at strategies becoming more integral to a race result.
Probably more crashes too, since drivers will feel closer to being able to pass the guy ahead.

1.5s slower was just another bluff. More F1BS.

Everybody is at least 1.5s faster than last year except for Williams who went off the memo and designed their car 2s slower.

As the pace i proves, they may fall under the 107%
Old 03-15-2019, 11:09 AM
mattastick
Racer

Originally Posted by D K
Very interesting!

im inteigued to see how close my prediction will be!

I think MB are gonna be very close in quali but in the race will be a different story.
They look very stiffly sprung and the car gets unsettled over curbs. Probably accelerated tire wear for the race.

Ferrari will turn up but I think they realize that even then, they are further behind than they expected.

Race pace they should be ahead but not by much.

RB look very strng as well. Newey looked pleased (?) on the pit wall.
I would say at least one Honda will tetire from the race, probably 2.

With the midfield being so much closer, Im going to look at strategies becoming more integral to a race result.
Probably more crashes too, since drivers will feel closer to being able to pass the guy ahead.

Williams is currently over 1.5 seconds to the good of the 107% rule. Merc would have to turn up the pace a lot to cover that gap, but even then Williams will be able to appeal, and given how they're well within the limit in P2, they should be allowed in. Remember, they should have extra engine modes available too.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:10 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by mattastick

If they end up covering the whole field, then it'll be fine, but we'll see.
They do.
Excepting MB & Ferrari who chose not to participate.

Originally Posted by D K
Williams who went off the memo and designed their car 2s slower.

What a fall from grace THAT would be.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:12 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Old 03-15-2019, 11:22 AM
mattastick
Racer

Originally Posted by sunsalem
They do.
Excepting MB & Ferrari who chose not to participate.
Awesome. I'm excited to finish it then. This weekend is such an awesome one for Motorsports. A friend of mine is racing in TCR at Sebring today (starting P4), we've got the IMSA and WEC races there as well, and the start of the F1 season.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:42 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by D K
...I think MB are gonna be very close in quali but in the race will be a different story.
They look very stiffly sprung and the car gets unsettled over curbs. Probably accelerated tire wear for the race...
I too, the W10 seemed less fluid than the SF90, nevertheless, even led by whip, the W10 is in front. I think the riders are able to tame because they understand the machine better and anticipate the reactions and then Lewis likes a rear suspension that goes around. It's still a F1 limit Diva this Merco. On the other hand, in FP2, the Féfé were less comfortable with their tires.

Observation :
the F1 2019s are already faster than last year. The fastest time, set by Lewis Hamilton, is 1.3 seconds faster than in 2018, despite an increase in mass. The record should be set during the Q's.

According to Pirelli, the performance gap between the C3 medium and the C4 soft is 0.9 seconds, slightly more than expected, and the gap between the C3 medium and the C2 hard is 0.6 seconds.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:17 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by mattastick
we've got the IMSA and WEC races there as well, and the start of the F1 season.
My DVR will be working overtime this weekend.

Alonso crushes the Sebring track record:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...rd_at_Sebring/
I guess that's why he gets paid the big bucks.

RB changes Max's chassis:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...rstappens_car/

Renault making excuses...again:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...am_Toro_Rosso/
I get tired of this guy and all of his whining...I wonder when Renault will too.

Ferrari surprised by MB's pace:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...Mercedes_pace/
I'm surprised they're "surprised."
Hasn't Maranello been paying attention the last 6 years?

Ricciardo and his "gentleman" parts:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6..._with_Renault/
Ya gotta laugh.

Williams couldn't drive over kerbs:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...kerbs__Kubica/
Something has gotta give at Williams...
Anyone looking to purchase an old and floundering F1 team?
Old 03-15-2019, 12:19 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I stopped watching Practices last year.
Several of the announcers on the World Feed are irritating IMO.
And life is just too short to spend it being annoyed...
I just find it a bit exciting to start seeing comparable times at the beginning of the year. Good possibility Ferrari could be sandbagging but there's also a chance Merc has more in the bag also.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:42 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

It's also interesting to see the difference in nose design with the Merc very skinny.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:42 PM
D K
Pro

According to Pirelli, the performance gap between the C3 medium and the C4 soft is 0.9 seconds, slightly more than expected, and the gap between the C3 medium and the C2 hard is 0.6 seconds.
as long as temps stay down...

im guessing the stiff setup on mb is going to accel tire deg.
I have a feeling this race will be won in the pits but there should be plenty of action in the midfield.
Now the teams have more reasons to push to get into the top 10.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:03 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Yes, I think that in the middle of the pack, the places will be expensive for every hundredth of a win.

According to Maxoo's NL radio, GrandPrixRadio, RBR marketing Can Tech of Salzburg is about to break the curfew (3 times without penalty on the season) to change Maxoo's chassis, light still on in his box. 3 possible causes would be invoked in the event of a chassis change: either the hull was damaged, for example by climbing too violently a kerb, or a manufacturing defect appeared or a crack in the tank would have caused a fuel leak. This last hypothesis would be privileged because Maxoo could not complete his long relay in FP2 and Gasly was very close to him despite his "no power" problem.

PS : I noticed that Leclerc had tested the C2 hard tyre as if Féfé was preparing for a delayed strategy for one of the 2 pilots. As someone mentioned above we will probably have a tough strategy battle, and if there is also a VSC or SC....

Last edited by BKorsaire; 03-15-2019 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Strategy

Get notified of new replies

To F1 Chat Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 02:43 PM
mattastick
Racer

Yes, I think that in the middle of the pack, the places will be expensive for every hundredth of a win.

PS : I noticed that Leclerc had tested the C2 hard tyre as if Féfé was preparing for a delayed strategy for one of the 2 pilots. As someone mentioned above we will probably have a tough strategy battle, and if there is also a VSC or SC....
The midfield battle will be very tough this year, for sure. It seems that the gap has closed, at least based on FP2 times. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Renault will also be on a split strategy. Hulk used both of his hard sets, and Ricci both of his medium sets in P2. So that leaves Hulk with 1 set of mediums for the race, and Ricci with 1 set of hards for the race. So they'll apparently be on Softs for all of qualifying.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:11 PM
D K
Pro

Renault making excuses...again:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...am_Toro_Rosso/
I get tired of this guy and all of his whining...I wonder when Renault will too.

That guy is really starting to **** me off.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:26 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

No one can stand him , in fact...