Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil pressure on long left hander

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 01:05 PM
Andrie
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
Hi Andrie,
Thanks for the clarification. Since the pressure switch is up to the task, what would you recommend to mount to the dash so as a driver I can get a visual of what the oil pressure is and possibly an audio "low oil" alert that can be set by me?

Are aftermarket gauges such as Autometer able to react fast enough to meet this challenge using the stock oil pressure switch? I run an Edge CTS 2 monitor plugged into the OBD II port to keep tabs on coolant temps, etc but it does not have a PID for oil pressure.
I don't know any gauges that is fast enough. A data logger with advance warning setting maybe fast enough. For instance you can set a data logger reading 10hz with parameters of above 4000 rpm, oil pressure below 40 psi to light a warning light. All depends on setting. For instance if you set the oil pressure below 10 psi before the warning light come up, While the light might be fast enough, I don't think human is fast enough to shut the car before damage is made.
The following users liked this post:
TrackAire (12-02-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 05:25 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

AEM makes a good sender
Old 12-04-2017, 11:12 AM
ooldguy93
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just as an FYI - 50+ yrs. track experience ( W2W and open track )

with many types of cars.

Ran a '13 Z with no mod's except 888's and alignment for 13 track days this past season.

Road America and Indy for example

Zero issues with the car including oil
Old 12-04-2017, 11:31 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
Thanks Joel for your idea to check under the valve covers. I recently acquired an '06 ZO6 that had a few improvements done to it prior to my getting it. The heads valve stems were fixed, a Katech larger dry sump reservoir was added the oil pump was replaced with one of the Katech high pressure race pumps. Yet sometimes I too notice the oil pressures dropping into the low 30s at idle. Not sure if the valve stems were replaced but I'll take a look to make sure they are all still there. Remedial 101 question here... when I take off the valve covers, I'll plan on installing new gaskets. That is the best thing to do, isn't it? If gaskets are missing, is there a brand that you suggest for an LS7? Again if missing, I'll dive into the screen of the sump, but am also wondering about other small oil orifices through out the engine? Wonder if detergents found in today's oils help open these up? Now that I think of it, probably not or many of the elastomeric seals between various dissimilar metals found in the engine would be eaten up.
I doubt that you will need to replace the valve cover gaskets - they are basically a really big O-ring that will stay in the valve cover so I would leave them alone. If the valve seals are missing you have bigger problems.

This is what a stock LS7 valve seal looks like - the valve spring sits on the bottom of the seal - so if all of that metal went through the engine it's rebuild time.

Since your heads were re-done, more than likely they swapped out the stock style for an aftermarket valve seal which is smaller and harder to see.

The valve seals are in the lower LH corner of this picture - sometimes I use a small dental mirror to see the seals - especially if they use dual valve springs.

Low 30's isn't bad with hot oil at idle especially if you're running 5w30, we were seeing under 30 with 15w50 Mobil 1 - that was not good.

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure on long left hander