Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can a splitter help cooling? (front breather C6)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 08:39 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
My car now cruises at 187. It used to cruise at 194 so yes, deshrouding a radiator DOES improve cooling but I can't say by how much when you induce the heat from tracking the car. My fan is still controlled by the PCM but there is no low/high, it kicks on around 200.
From the standpoint that your radiator has less restriction during high speed operation....yes it does help but it has nothing to with the actual fan and everything to do with the obstruction of airflow.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:10 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
From the standpoint that your radiator has less restriction during high speed operation....yes it does help but it has nothing to with the actual fan and everything to do with the obstruction of airflow.
That was entirely my point!
Old 10-16-2017, 07:22 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
That was entirely my point!
Got it. Sorry-I misunderstood the intend of statement. Do you have the hood vented to let that air out?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:29 AM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by jbondfl
Can’t tell from your photo,,, have you thought about hood vents like tracspec?

I wasn’t in TX but it helped for me.
thanks, but i already have hood vents
Old 10-16-2017, 10:41 AM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Originally Posted by R_W
Fellow TX C6 track-rat here.
I did the DeWitts stand-alone radiator (trans and diff have their own coolers), dual spal fans, 160* thermostat. I then focused on sealing off the front part before the radiator using the Katech undertray w/brake ducts ( https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...pre-order.html ) and a small rectangle of sheet aluminum to close the little leaf-dropdown hole right below the radiator. I realize there may be a bit more that could be done to further seal the inlet portion, but for now, it does the job for me.
Behind the radiator, I have the LG W.C. hood for ventilation, as well as removed the plastic inserts behind the fenders to increase airflow out of the bay (and hopefully create a suction effect through the radiator that helps increase airflow).

I have actually thought about a way to further increase airflow into the radiator by modifying the front bumper to resemble something like a wedge shape on the bottom lip area, similar to this if my temps ever start to get TOO out of control:

That's on the extreme end, of course.

In between sessions, I am running a snail-style fan into the front grill w/the hood off to help get air blowing across the radiator and heat blowing out.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lasko-Pro...4905/202185788

When are you overheating?
Originally Posted by z06801
Just need to open that front up!
]48215472[/attach]
it has definatly crossed my mind. ive thought of picking up a another silver front bumper off ebay and opening it up like the C7R have. for more grill opening.

option #2 is ive looked at one of the Duraflex "stingray/C7" style from bumpers for the C6, for the sole reason that that appear to have a much larger grill opening than a stock C6 bumper

Old 10-16-2017, 10:47 AM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

even though i bought the dewitts rad, ive often wondered about a forward tilt rad. ive seen it done several times on C5s, but ive never see it done on a C6. i assume you must go to a shorter rad to get it to fit?

more info on this "custom water pump". where can i get one, what was done to make it "custom" and cost?
ive never heard anyone else mention this mod.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:45 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
even though i bought the dewitts rad, ive often wondered about a forward tilt rad. ive seen it done several times on C5s, but ive never see it done on a C6. i assume you must go to a shorter rad to get it to fit?

more info on this "custom water pump". where can i get one, what was done to make it "custom" and cost?
ive never heard anyone else mention this mod.
I'm in for more info on the forward tilted radiator.

I have an LS3 water pump on my car (supposedly better than the LS2 one) but still have the hoses run to the heater core. I figured if nothing else it acted as another heat exchanger removing heat from the water as it runs through the system.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:02 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Just as important as radiators and and pumps is having a smooth airflow in on a front breather, a friend has a very well sorted C5 ST1 car that had trouble staying cool, after chasing different and bigger radiators, it turned out that a sharp upward bend was causing a vortex literally blocking airflow the the top half. Smoothed it out cooling troubles gone!

Last edited by z06801; 10-16-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:40 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 641 Likes on 401 Posts

thanks, but i already have hood vents
What hood are you using. What hood vents do you have on your car? Do you have a picture we could look at?

Give us a call at LG Motorsports. 972.429.1963 ask for Lou.

Thanks,

Dane
LG Motorsports

Last edited by Dane@LGmotorsports; 10-16-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:33 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

currently running the SS extractor(no drip tray). and going to be adding the mustang vents on the sides to closer replicate the WC hoods and add more opening area.

do you have any data on if a splitter does direct more air into the grill opening?
would be a flat race style splitter, not a ZR1 style.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 10-16-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:54 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I've never seen that Duraflex C7 front bumper on a C6 before! It looks so goofy!!! Maybe I'm used to the C6 looks.

Anyway, I'm glad to have met someone as crazy as I am who would take a sawzall to my car to alter/modify to get things to work.
I don't see why chopping off the lower part of the bumper to increase the opening size wouldn't work. I mean, when is "too much airflow" a bad thing? I would, however use that as a last resort. I would work on sealing off all air-escapes in front of the radiator (as Z06801 stated, I also hate that upward bend, hence my attempt at creating suction on the back side of the radiator to help counter-act that), and then work on venting behind the radiator to pull air through and let it escape.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:36 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports

currently running the SS extractor(no drip tray). and going to be adding the mustang vents on the sides to closer replicate the WC hoods and add more opening area.

do you have any data on if a splitter does direct more air into the grill opening?
would be a flat race style splitter, not a ZR1 style.

Something like this?
Front splitter increases air speed below bringing the car toward the ground, with a slight amount of rake then it could channel more air into the radiator. I don't see it being a measurable amount. Our WC hoods utilize an aerodynamic feature to help pull air out of the vented area's. If you'd like to send the car to us we'll do the forward mounted radiator for you.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:52 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by z06801
Just as important as radiators and and pumps is having a smooth airflow in on a front breather, a friend has a very well sorted C5 ST1 car that had trouble staying cool, after chasing different and bigger radiators, it turned out that a sharp upward bend was causing a vortex literally blocking airflow the the top half. Smoothed it out cooling troubles gone!
This is actually a very important fact. I redesigned my intake ducting after reading this article which I'm pretty sure is about your friend

https://nasaspeed.news/tech/engine/r...ic-principles/

While I was no longer having cooling issues I do believe I helped the extractor pull more air out and increase downforce.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:12 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
This is actually a very important fact. I redesigned my intake ducting after reading this article which I'm pretty sure is about your friend

https://nasaspeed.news/tech/engine/r...ic-principles/

While I was no longer having cooling issues I do believe I helped the extractor pull more air out and increase downforce.
Good catch! I forgot about the article in the NASA news, I benefited from it because I ended up with one of his Dewitt's
Old 10-26-2017, 09:03 AM
mp4659
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

my c6 z06 was originally a florida track day car, now a nasa st2. the previous owner installed twin oil coolers in place of the fog lights. even though its oil cooling, I'm convinced it is big factor why my car runs cool.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:16 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

that wouldn't surprise me.
when i installed the dewitts, i noticed the opposite, the lower water temps, also lowered my oil temps.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:08 PM
wstaab
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 130 Posts

It helps. Reduced coolant temp 10 degrees and oil temp 20 degrees adding an extension to a ZR1 splitter with no other changes.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:01 AM
Dane@LGmotorsports

Originally Posted by wstaab
It helps. Reduced coolant temp 10 degrees and oil temp 20 degrees adding an extension to a ZR1 splitter with no other changes.

Love the color/ set-up.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:05 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

great data! thanks!

Quick Reply: can a splitter help cooling? (front breather C6)