Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driveline removal FYI

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 12:24 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Default driveline removal FYI

I have always taken out the motor or the torque tube or the rear end as single pieces to repair. Since I am doing a complete driveline refresh I decided to see if I could pull the whole driveline as one piece. The answer is you can and it is way easier and faster to remove the entire driveline than single pieces of it. I welded up a frame to hold the driveline and removed the electrical connections and lifted the chassis off the drivetrain. Now I can roll the drivetrain around the garage and work on it much easier. So for those with a lift that's my FYI.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
crimlwC6 (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 09:39 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I agree! Even if you just need to do a motor it's easier to drop the whole driveline as long as you have a cart to work with.
One thing I would add is that it's easier to disconnect the wiring from the chassis and connecting everything before you set the body back on top. You have to disconnect from the bottom of the fuse panel and the ECU but it makes for cleaner routing and easier connections.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:20 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
I would add is that it's easier to disconnect the wiring from the chassis and connecting everything before you set the body back on top. You have to disconnect from the bottom of the fuse panel and the ECU but it makes for cleaner routing and easier connections.
That's a good idea! I take a good look at that tip. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:22 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Man...wish I had a lift. Removing drivetrain components on Jack stands got old a long time ago!
Old 11-07-2017, 05:19 PM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I zoomed in on the photo and it looks like the cart you made just supports the flat flange on cradle? Anything fancier than that?

Very slick!
Old 11-07-2017, 09:06 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Nope totally quick and low tech. Made from 1.75" tube and some 2" tube as a receiver. This way I can take it apart in the middle and out away in the shed. I have 1" tube welded to the upright square tubes that sticks up and engages the holes in the craddles.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:45 AM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Nice work Carl. Might be nice to see some close up's of the contact points between the cradles and the frame.

Get notified of new replies

To driveline removal FYI

Quick Reply: driveline removal FYI