Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Bias questions/proportioning valve

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 04:29 PM
jtswenson
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Brake Bias questions/proportioning valve

Hi,

I've been very unhappy with my brake bias in my 2011 ZR1. I road race the car and it seems very front heavy on bias. I pulled the ABS fuse and did some testing the other day and it locks the fronts up long before the rears are doing much of anything. I realize that a front bias is ideal, especially for a street car, but what's ideal for a race car is a bit different.

Has anyone installed a proportioning valve in their c6? I'm thinking about installing one between the master cylinder and the ABS module on the front brake line...that way I can reduce front pressure.

I'd love to hear of someone who's done this before. Yes, I've played around with different pads and compounds, but it still is not where I would like it. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2017, 06:29 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Do you run the ceramic setup or have you switched to iron brakes?
Old 10-25-2017, 09:06 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

I have seen a couple of guys at the track with a proportioning valve on the C6Z. I agree the bias is too heavy up front. I have a 2011 Zo7 and just put on AP racing brakes up front and now it's even worse. Subscribed.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:23 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I have several cars that are running custom rear brake set-ups to help with the brake bias - the off the shelf stuff works for some people but guys who are really pushing there brakes are going to have problems, especially cars that are running aero. GM Performance had ABS modules that were reprogrammed for racing and they would add 15% more brake bias to the rear to help things out - since those modules are no longer available (and they never made a version for the 09+ Bosch ABS cars) You are left to figure out how to do it on your own, I wouldn't want to put a bias **** on the front brakes because you are giving up front braking to balance the rear - why not just add more rear brake?

My method of choice is to install a custom StopTech kit in the rear - they have the most options for rear caliper sizes so you can pick the bias that you're looking for based off of how your car is set up.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:28 AM
micjester
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jtswenson
Hi,

I've been very unhappy with my brake bias in my 2011 ZR1. I road race the car and it seems very front heavy on bias. I pulled the ABS fuse and did some testing the other day and it locks the fronts up long before the rears are doing much of anything. I realize that a front bias is ideal, especially for a street car, but what's ideal for a race car is a bit different.

Has anyone installed a proportioning valve in their c6? I'm thinking about installing one between the master cylinder and the ABS module on the front brake line...that way I can reduce front pressure.

I'd love to hear of someone who's done this before. Yes, I've played around with different pads and compounds, but it still is not where I would like it. Thanks!
You are too fast...just drive slower, and you won't have any issues!
Old 10-26-2017, 02:27 PM
jtswenson
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
I have several cars that are running custom rear brake set-ups to help with the brake bias - the off the shelf stuff works for some people but guys who are really pushing there brakes are going to have problems, especially cars that are running aero. GM Performance had ABS modules that were reprogrammed for racing and they would add 15% more brake bias to the rear to help things out - since those modules are no longer available (and they never made a version for the 09+ Bosch ABS cars) You are left to figure out how to do it on your own, I wouldn't want to put a bias **** on the front brakes because you are giving up front braking to balance the rear - why not just add more rear brake?

My method of choice is to install a custom StopTech kit in the rear - they have the most options for rear caliper sizes so you can pick the bias that you're looking for based off of how your car is set up.
My car has the carbon ceramics and I've played with pads but it's not enough....not even close. Having adjustability would be nice, too.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:12 PM
Andrie
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This is very interesting as I did not feel this in my limited experience with the car. I’ve only driven it once at the track as the car is new to me. And I run same brake pads front to rear. I’ve also only able to run the car hard for 2 laps before loosing confidence of the brakes due to overheating.

I'll pay closer attention to this next time.

also interesting that varying brake pads have not worked well for you.

Last edited by Andrie; 10-26-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:07 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jtswenson
My car has the carbon ceramics and I've played with pads but it's not enough....not even close. Having adjustability would be nice, too.
How long or how many days have you tracked the CC brakes and rotors??
Playing with other than stock pads only cooks the rotors faster. Evaporation. Became quite an expensive consumable. It starts with going through pads faster then rotors have the evaporation condition making them rougher, which eats pads faster. Switch to Iron. Cheaper and better for tracking in long run.
I am considering getting a little more pad for the rear now that I am on iron and seeing if that will balance it out. Doubt it, because many track guys have the valve?
Old 10-26-2017, 10:14 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I investigated this when going to a C6z this year. The C6z's abs computer controls brake bias, so, no matter what you do, the abs controller is going to control braking to the rear. I just run stock sizes and run same pad compound front and rear. I have no complaints on the braking of the car. I did test a couple compounds and found what worked for me.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:36 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Doug Rippie Motorsport sells a custom adjustable master cylinder...

http://dougrippie.com/products/drm-c...ster-cylinder/

Old 10-31-2017, 09:56 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

You might try the C7 carbon ceramic rear pad on the rear as it has a lot more surface area than the C6...........fronts are the same but not the rears.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:39 PM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
Doug Rippie Motorsport sells a custom adjustable master cylinder...

http://dougrippie.com/products/drm-c...ster-cylinder/

does that change bias by having a smaller bore for the rear or how will it help?
Old 11-06-2017, 07:41 AM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

I called doug rippie on that MC. You can remove bias from the rear but you can’t add it.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:15 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I have the same issue. I run the same pads front and rear. I end up eating up front pads in a weekend and rears last 6-7 weekends. I'd love to find a way to adjust it as well.

Can a tech II or similar adjust the pressures in the abs module?
Old 11-08-2017, 10:23 AM
0Adrian @ F.A.S.T.
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Can't adjust the ABS module at all, I have tested pad setups and have seen an improvement using a DTC 80 pad in the rear, DTC 70 in the front. Also remove the rear brake ducts as well.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:59 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...der-setup.html

"Keeping You on Track!"
http://www.gspeed.com
877-512-5180

Instagram_Facebook_YouTube

GSpeed C7Z Cooling Development

2014 NASA Texas TT1 Champion
2015 NASA Texas ST1 Champion