Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spec Corvette - Car #9 - Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 12:06 AM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Spec Corvette - Car #9 - Build Thread

I'm building a track car for the new 'Spec Corvette' wheel-to-wheel race series that's starting up around the country.

Idea behind the race series is to be able to build a fast and competitive race car for about $20k. Sounded like fun to me so decided to jump in.

Here are some pics of the 100% stock 2002 C5 Z06 I just picked up. Time to tear it down and build it to make it a bit more race worthy.

I will post up pics moving forward and and detail the process.

More details about the rules/specs that I'm following can be found over at their web site - http://speccorvette.com/

On the build list for me is:
- required safety gear (cage/harness/fire suppression)
- halo race seat
- optional AFE suspension Spec component (sways, sphericals, coilovers)
- optional Wilwood front BBK
- cooling upgrades for water/oil/diff/trans
Old 10-30-2017, 12:07 AM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Cage going in at Pierce Motorsports

new seat mount from Mark at AMT

Old 10-30-2017, 01:37 AM
Don Lambert
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to following your progress.

Don
Old 10-30-2017, 02:17 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

It looks like you have the new AMT Motorsports seat mounts. Nice. I just got those, too.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:13 AM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

subscribed.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:57 PM
henryr
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

would you mind recapping costs ?

what yr / mileage z06 / $ ?

who did the cage and cost ?
Old 10-30-2017, 01:35 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

I am jealous of you guys out in Cali. I had a Veloster turbo previously and was buying up as much of the Pierce Motorsports stuff I could for that car. He make incredible stuff. I was hoping to one day get out and race in the hothatch series Jim started but sold the car and got the Corvette. I saw he was building the cages for the Spec Corvette series but doesn't look like he has much else yet for the Corvettes.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:27 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
I am jealous of you guys out in Cali. I had a Veloster turbo previously and was buying up as much of the Pierce Motorsports stuff I could for that car. He make incredible stuff. I was hoping to one day get out and race in the hothatch series Jim started but sold the car and got the Corvette. I saw he was building the cages for the Spec Corvette series but doesn't look like he has much else yet for the Corvettes.

All you need is the cage. All the other stuff is spec'd out at www.speccorvette.com.

There are even 50% registered builder racer discounts negotiated by Spec Corvette.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:54 PM
jacks2000
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Olitho
All you need is the cage. All the other stuff is spec'd out at www.speccorvette.com.

There are even 50% registered builder racer discounts negotiated by Spec Corvette.
Does the cage clear the dash and door panels?
Old 10-30-2017, 08:34 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jacks2000
Does the cage clear the dash and door panels?

I am not sure what you mean by clearing the dash, but mine clears the door panels in that I still have my door windows, but not the door panels. Some are opting to do the NASCAR style door bars that require removal of the door glass.

I am not sure what Clint did, but I am sure he will answer soon.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:23 AM
jacks2000
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Olitho
I am not sure what you mean by clearing the dash, but mine clears the door panels in that I still have my door windows, but not the door panels. Some are opting to do the NASCAR style door bars that require removal of the door glass.

I am not sure what Clint did, but I am sure he will answer soon.
I should have asked if you had to cut the dash or door panels. I want to do a cage similar to yours but not cut onto the dash. If I can find some salvage door panels i wouldn't mind cutting them up. If you just leave the panels off how are you going to mount your window switches?
Thanks
Jack
Old 10-31-2017, 12:32 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

I should have asked if you had to cut the dash or door panels. I want to do a cage similar to yours but not cut onto the dash. If I can find some salvage door panels i wouldn't mind cutting them up. If you just leave the panels off how are you going to mount your window switches?
Thanks
Jack

The front cage bar can go in without cutting the dash up as I recall. That is a better question for cage builders like Phoenix Performance in PA and Pierce Motorsports in CA.

The window control switches can be attached to the door frame without the door panels on the car. I don't have pictures of my current car right now, but it can be done.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:05 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Thanks
Jack
Hi Jack, on mine it is strictly a track car so I wasn't too concerned with those items.

However the dash is still fully intact without cutting. I did remove the glove box - that would need to somehow be modified/cut if you still wanted to use it.

Door Panels - I have mine removed. The door panels would not fit with my cage. You would need a different cage design then what I went with if you wanted to keep the door panels as my cage door bars are flush up against the door when it is closed.

Window Controls - I actually do still have my windows in the car and they are fully functional - the controls I just have zip tied to the door or place them inside the door cavity area.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:28 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Am I not seeing a dash bar in the pictures?
Old 10-31-2017, 05:26 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

There is not an added in bar that goes across the dash.

The door bars you see in the pictures have a bar welded into the factory bar that is underneath the dash about knee high.

Pierce Motorsports in Torrance in Torrance, CA did my cage. They have a deal worked out for the Spec Corvette's to do the full cage for $3k
Old 10-31-2017, 05:47 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

I thought the rules for spec corvette state rollcage to be compliant to scca T1 rules. Did I miss something reading the rules? If so, I don't see any footwell bars either.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:37 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3X2
I thought the rules for spec corvette state rollcage to be compliant to scca T1 rules. Did I miss something reading the rules? If so, I don't see any footwell bars either.
I'm not too familiar with all the cage specs rules. But I was under the impression this cage they put in for me would met the NASA/SCCA tech specs.

Maybe Oli could chime in here?

Get notified of new replies

To Spec Corvette - Car #9 - Build Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 08:54 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 3X2

to the GCR:
Front Hoop Bracing
All open cars with a high front hoop and all closed cars except those competing in the T4,
Improved Touring, Spec Miata, and B-Spec classes must incorporate a horizontal front hoop
brace at the approximate level of the dashboard. It is recommended that cars competing in T4,
Improved Touring, and Spec Miata classes also have the front hoop brace.

"incorporated" being important here, but (if it was me) I'd ensure this member also meets 1.5" x .120
The following users liked this post:
Mick14 (11-04-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 08:25 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

I would hate to see someone get bounced for a non compliant cage. That picture is not a footwell bar.

per 11-17 GCR pg 88 "Cars competing in Improved Touring, Spec Miata, Touring, and B-Spec may extend one tube, from each front down tube, forward to the firewall, bulkhead or wheel well, but not penetrating any panel."

The oem dash bar does not meet the tubing spec for material, pg 88, or size, pg 89, for cars over 2700 pounds.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:35 AM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

That pic above that EMF posted is very similar to how the cage in my car is setup.

Quick Reply: Spec Corvette - Car #9 - Build Thread