Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima Ultimate Street Corvettes

Old 11-07-2017, 11:45 AM
Josh H
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
Hey noobie, making friends already, huh? I asked a question, and so far I haven't seen you add much value to this thread.

Fleming, however, is adding value, by pointing out where all the high cost maintenance expenses come from.
I read a book called "How to Win Friends and Influence People", and I wanted to put my newfound skills to the test. Thanks for noticing.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:23 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 766 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh H
I read a book called "How to Win Friends and Influence People", and I wanted to put my newfound skills to the test. Thanks for noticing.
I'll confess you did influence me to reply to your post, so apparently the book purchase wasn't totally for naught.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:03 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

All I see is a large parking lot, and a bunch of traffic cones. Where's the big expenses hidden at?
Renting facilities like Road America, Las Vegas Motor Speedway, PPIR, Auto Club Speedway (Fontana) etc for 2 day events that use up their parking lots for auto cross and their road courses for Sunday's hot laps are not cheap venues. The entry fees are "only" $475, which I consider a bargain for a track day and "unlimited auto cross and speed stop runs, secure parking lots at night to leave your stuff in and TV coverage.

To the OP, thanks for all the pics. I am the driver of the yellow #88 C6Z in a few of your pics.

To the others in the thread, yes "most" of these cars are street cars. Some are pushing the envelope a little and many are not daily drivers, but we all have full interiors, HVAC, factory windshields, all factory lighting, horns, radios etc. All of the cars are also registered and insured.

My car has full interior, power windows, full carpet, door panels, factory Nav/radio, factory dash etc. There are a lot of mods, but aero is limited, we have to run 200 tw tires and you're heavily penalized for anything missing from what the factory car was equipped with.

I will refrain from giving my full opinion on an open forum regarding last weekend, but it was mathematically impossible to finish on the podium after the design and engineering segment was over. My design and engineering scores this year were 5th overall, 2nd overall and 3rd overall at the qualifying events I ran. This weekend I was scored 32nd overall and had the lowest raw score of the year.

Oh well, at least I got the national points championship, another jacket and another cool trophy to haul home. I am also proud of my wife for being the only woman to secure an invite based on driving skill. 2 other woman competed last weekend, but Carrie "RaceChick" was the only one to get in on merit.

RICH

Last edited by RichieRichZ06; 11-09-2017 at 07:19 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by RichieRichZ06:
01badvette (11-08-2017), 3JsVette (11-08-2017), mp4659 (11-08-2017), Pounder (11-10-2017), yooper (11-16-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 06:08 PM
tireshredder
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 69autoXr
The last picture looks as if the cars are side-by-side; was this run like a ProSolo?
There is two mirrored autocross courses. Both cars run at the same time. Once you complete the left side, you run the right side. They take your best left time and your best right time for the day and add them together for your lap time.
It's fun to watch because you have two cars launching at once.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:21 PM
tireshredder
Instructor

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06

To the OP, thanks for all the pics. I am the driver of the yellow #88 C6Z in a few of your pics.

RICH
I met you at the LS Fest West. I've got the silver 03 Z06. I talked with you on the phone after the event because I had transmission issues after the weekend. Thanks for the tips.

I plan on running in the Optima event at Fontana and Vegas and LS Fest West next year, work schedule permitting. I hope to see you out there. It's fun to watch but now that I have a taste I just want to drive!
Old 11-07-2017, 07:28 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Renting facilities like Road America, Las Vegas Motor Speedway, PPIR, Auto Club Speedway (Fontana) etc for 2 day events that use up their parking lots for auto cross and their road courses for Sunday's hot laps are not cheap venues. The entry fees are "only" $475, which I consider a bargain for a track day and "unlimited auto cross and speed stop runs, secure parking lots at night to leave your stuff in and TV coverage.

To the others in the thread, yes "most" of these cars are street cars. Some are pushing the envelope a little and many are not daily drivers, but we all have full interiors, HVAC, factory windshields, all factory lighting, horns, radios etc. All of the cars are also registered and insured.

My car has full interior, power windows, full carpet, door panels, factory Nav/radio, factory dash etc. There are a lot of mods, but aero is limited, we have to run 200 tw tires and you're heavily penalized for anything missing from what the factory car was equipped with.

I will refrain from giving my full opinion on an open forum regarding last weekend, but it was mathematically impossible to finish on the podium after the design and engineering segment was over. My design and engineering scores this year were 5th overall, 2nd overall and 3rd overall at the qualifying events I ran. This weekend I was scored 32nd overall and had the lowest raw score of the year.

There was drama associated with the weekend and comments from one judge made to other competitors regarding C6 Corvettes basically took us out of the running. Apparently he didn't like them and we suffered.

Oh well, at least I got the national points championship, another jacket and another cool trophy to haul home. I am also proud of my wife for being the only woman to secure an invite based on driving skill. 2 other woman competed last weekend, but Carrie "RaceChick" was the only one to get in on merit.

RICH
What's the design and engineering scores all about?
Old 11-07-2017, 07:47 PM
VettesRule
Drifting

great photos, thanks for sharing!
Old 11-07-2017, 07:55 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by tireshredder
I met you at the LS Fest West. I've got the silver 03 Z06. I talked with you on the phone after the event because I had transmission issues after the weekend. Thanks for the tips.

I plan on running in the Optima event at Fontana and Vegas and LS Fest West next year, work schedule permitting. I hope to see you out there. It's fun to watch but now that I have a taste I just want to drive!
I thought you user name looked familiar. We should be at LS Fest West again. That was a great event.

What's the design and engineering scores all about?
A panel of judges that are supposed to be unbiased towards other competitors judge the cars for their design and engineering. Basically if you have tasteful mods that are better than the OE parts, your score goes up and if you have a ratty car, the score goes down. If a judge has an issue with your car or you personally, they have the powers to virtually screw you out of the competition, which is what happened.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:56 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

The D&E portion of the event weighs to much in the overall score. There is no way a car that has all the "required bits" that wins the 3 driving events and scores so low on the D&E to lose. It's totally biased and is used to pick whoever they want to win to win.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:19 PM
Tomswheels
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Great driving Rich. D&E is why I usually only make 1 Optima event per year. I need to spend whatever $$ I can afford making the car faster, not prettier. This pic is of Spiewaks Car and mine. He gets the better D&E every time...
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2017, 10:57 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Raftracer legacy in effect.

Optima and SEMA were tired of seeing "RAFT" being plastered all over the media after the slaughter occurred a few years in a row.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:07 PM
Tech Contributor

I thought you user name looked familiar. We should be at LS Fest West again. That was a great event.

A panel of judges that are supposed to be unbiased towards other competitors judge the cars for their design and engineering. Basically if you have tasteful mods that are better than the OE parts, your score goes up and if you have a ratty car, the score goes down. If a judge has an issue with your car or you personally, they have the powers to virtually screw you out of the competition, which is what happened.
Sounds like the next closest thing to a car show (which is why I've never entered a car show in my life).

I'm an engineer (and obviously car enthusiast). If the lap timer says I got beat, I accept it, and try harder the next time in both my driving ability and my car's construction. If a "popularity contest" ingredient pokes its nose in the mix I just spend my hobby/track dollars elsewhere.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:12 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Sounds like the next closest thing to a car show (which is why I've never entered a car show in my life).

I'm an engineer (and obviously car enthusiast). If the lap timer says I got beat, I accept it, and try harder the next time in both my driving ability and my car's construction. If a "popularity contest" ingredient pokes its nose in the mix I just spend my hobby/track dollars elsewhere.
I'm a little bitter over the whole thing, along with other politics that went on before the event so we're trying to also make the decision to stay with them or go elsewhere. We've spent tens of thousands of dollars to support, promote and run the series and it's disheartening to say the least. I ran some numbers and every C6 was scored lower in D&E compared to their average scores from the rest of the year.

I've always tried to defend D&E, but when you have evidence of bias it's hard to look the other way.

It's really unfortunate because the people out there racing at these events are some of the most talented, nicest and stand up racers you can find. We would definitely miss the other competitors if we chose to leave, but there are nice people in all forms of racing.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:42 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,722 Likes on 931 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I'm a little bitter over the whole thing, along with other politics that went on before the event so we're trying to also make the decision to stay with them or go elsewhere. We've spent tens of thousands of dollars to support, promote and run the series and it's disheartening to say the least. I ran some numbers and every C6 was scored lower in D&E compared to their average scores from the rest of the year.

I've always tried to defend D&E, but when you have evidence of bias it's hard to look the other way.

It's really unfortunate because the people out there racing at these events are some of the most talented, nicest and stand up racers you can find. We would definitely miss the other competitors if we chose to leave, but there are nice people in all forms of racing.
I have looked into building a car for this series and D&E scares me for the reason you state. If you were to leave, what group would you run with? The car is probably overbuilt for a lot of other club classes.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:07 PM
Rexracer77
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

All I see is a large parking lot, and a bunch of traffic cones. Where's the big expenses hidden at?
Since I don't think it was addressed, from the pictures its just an autocross. But I believe they do a fully day on the full track, so its not the cost to rent the parking lot, its the cost to rent the entire facility.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:29 PM
Josh H
Intermediate

Maybe you should voice your concerns a little higher up the ladder. I'm sure the organizers and for sure the sponsors don't want to see competitors leave because of a personal problem a judge has with a particular car model.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:43 PM
tireshredder
Instructor

All the photos I've posted are just from the autocross. They also did the speed stop and road course but I wasn't there for those events. The Vegas event is the Invitational, all the winners from the events around the country are invited to go to Vegas and display their cars at SEMA then race on the weekend. At the events around the country, there are a lot more "normal/streetable" cars.

Here are some of the other cars that were competing.
Attached Images          
The following users liked this post:
Pounder (11-10-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Optima Ultimate Street Corvettes

Old 11-08-2017, 07:45 PM
tireshredder
Instructor

Yes, that's a LS7 powered Rolls Royce on the Autocross
Attached Images     
Pounder (11-10-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 07:47 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh H
Maybe you should voice your concerns a little higher up the ladder. I'm sure the organizers and for sure the sponsors don't want to see competitors leave because of a personal problem a judge has with a particular car model.
When representatives from sponsors are the judges of the D&E then complaining to them will fall on def ears. Complaining to the higher ups of the series i believe will be futile as well being they see the money coming in from the sponsors and the money they get from the competitors is secondary. Unfortunately I know that Rich is not the only person looking at possibly taking their business elsewhere. I remember at the first Optima event held at Laguna Seca 4-5 years ago one of the judges wouldn't even bother looking at a friends car because its i Mustang and their business was centered on Chevrolet. It's been an ongoing struggle with the D&E since being introduced to the Optima series.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:11 PM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

That's just the tip of the ice burg in terms of differential treatment between competitors. Issues were presented to the race director and they were dealt with as they have been in previous years...

It's easy to get over being pissed, but losing a little respect for the series is much more disheartening.
thats a shame, maybe they got tired of their asses handed to them by Danny and yourself 👍
D/E is the only way they could stop you guys
Pounder (11-10-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Optima Ultimate Street Corvettes