Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best places to live/retire as a HPDE fan

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 06:20 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

A country club racetrack is interesting... Road America is nice.. Taxes (living and retirement) stink in Illinois right? winter is rough too?

Last edited by ShahulX; 12-06-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:02 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by ShahulX
yea i just looked cota track days are like $550
I feel like that is what most track days cost. Road Atlanta days, I swear I've seen higher than that.

If OP is "retiring" I'd imagine 100 bucks variation in track day cost probably won't impact decision too much either.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:08 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

I'm not retiring anytime soon.. Im 38.. Im just planning.. But may buy a house for investment and may retire there after its paid off.. This is mostly musing.. I'd assume most of us who like to track would want to live close to tracks, in a nice place etc..

Summit and vir tracks days here are like 250-300.. 550 is like 2 summit point track days. I'd pay more for cota
Old 12-06-2017, 08:54 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 735 Likes on 545 Posts

How funny...
Born is San Jose, lived on the peninsula my whole life. Currently in Morgan Hill, an hour away from Laguna, around 2 to Sears Point, and just about midway between Buttonwillow and T-hilll. Excellant tracks to choose from, and the climate is awesome too.
But...
The Bay Area has changed to the point that I don't even recognize it anymore. Housing is stupidly expensive and the roads are clogged with REALLY bad drivers all day long. Last time we went to Monterey (an hour drive), it took us 3. Can't wait to leave.
Very interested in the topic!
Old 12-06-2017, 09:08 PM
jonnyc
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

So this is the part I show that I'm a nut job.. Im terrified of earthquakes and the west coast freakes me out
lived in cali my whole life (46yo) and iv'e never felt an earthquake.but i live in sacramento.best part about living here are the tracks are open 12 months a year.the only thing we worry about is having to drive in the rain.laguna seca and sears point are historic tracks and thunderhill is great in its own right.
cons of living here is government and cost.i can deal with the cost but the other really sucks here.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:22 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

yea i just looked cota track days are like $550
For a weekend or a day? Most COTA events are closer to 900-1000 for a weekend. I am pretty sure even MVP’s 3 day is around 1200. Not saying it can’t be done cheaper but most are not cheap.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:55 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

...forget to mention that California is 'The Anything Can Happen State'.
You just never know what ol' Moonbeam will dream up next.
Earthquakes are more predictable, and a lot less frightening.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:14 PM
Andrie
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Nowanker, you’re exactly right about Bay Area has changed, and not for the better. Too many high tech money with all the baggage that came with it. Unfortunately, the bad outweigh the good. That being said, I’m still hard press to find a better place to live.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:21 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

I'm not retiring anytime soon.. Im 38.. Im just planning.. But may buy a house for investment and may retire there after its paid off.. This is mostly musing.. I'd assume most of us who like to track would want to live close to tracks, in a nice place etc..

Summit and vir tracks days here are like 250-300.. 550 is like 2 summit point track days. I'd pay more for cota
I'm the same age, I'm movin to Vegas this summer and rubbin my palms together for Spring Mountain to do this massive 15 mile thing they are going to build. I'm hoping they move some land around or something, to give it some topography...we'll see. Couple road courses up on North Vegas too at the Speedway.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:24 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by jonnyc
cons of living here is government
They ruined the place man....sucks. I'm trying to forge a dual living scenario at this point. I'd like to move in and out of Ca somewhat freely through dual residences. We'll see.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:53 AM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I grew up in San Diego and then moved to the Detroit area for work. The Metro Detroit area is great for track days:

Waterford Hills (15 minutes)
M1 Concourse (20 minutes)
Grattan (2 hours)
Gingerman (2.75 hours)
Mid-Ohio (3 hours)
Nelson Ledges (3 hours)
PittRace (4.75 hours)
Autobahn (6 hours)

For slightly longer drives you can get to Watkins Glen, Road America, Calabogie, VIR, and many more.

It's just a 5 hour drive to Indy for PRI, the 500, or Brick Yard. For professional races, we have the Detroit Grand Prix, two Nascar races, many series running at Mid-Ohio; drag racing in Norwalk, OH and Chicago. There is the Woodward Dream Cruise and the North America International Auto Show. Lots more to list.

As for weather, we don't have hurricanes or wild fires to worry about. The winters can be rough, but they also give you some down time to actually work on the car; or you can head north and snow mobile. The only poisonous animal is a small snake that I have never seen (I saw more than my share of big rattlesnakes in CA).

It's not for everyone, but the track situation is actually very good here.

Ken
The following users liked this post:
Scooter70 (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 10:10 AM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
I'm the same age, I'm movin to Vegas this summer and rubbin my palms together for Spring Mountain to do this massive 15 mile thing they are going to build. I'm hoping they move some land around or something, to give it some topography...we'll see. Couple road courses up on North Vegas too at the Speedway.
What thing in spring mountain?

​​​​​​I know we are all wound up so tight in the DC metro area.. Wonder if I could be a Californian lol

Surprised nobody mentioned florida... Tracks too flat? No elevation?

Lastly what do you all think about the private club racetracks? Monticello, autobahn, thermal, Atlanta motorsports Park? This one in New Hampshire opened this year... Seems amazing

Old 12-07-2017, 10:11 AM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

florida... Tracks too flat? No elevation?

Lastly what do you all think about the private club racetracks? Monticello, autobahn, thermal, Atlanta motorsports Park? This one in New Hampshire opened this year... Seems amazing
Old 12-07-2017, 10:14 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

​​​​​​

I can't even begin to think how annoying monticello must be at times
Old 12-07-2017, 11:06 AM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
I can't even begin to think how annoying monticello must be at times
How so? I've been there twice.. Its a nice track.. Quiet.. It'd be cool to just be able to go to the track when you want.. Not just on pre determined track days..
Old 12-07-2017, 11:19 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

How so? I've been there twice.. Its a nice track.. Quiet.. It'd be cool to just be able to go to the track when you want.. Not just on pre determined track days..
I have heard the track is beautiful. But I've lived in NJ/NY and it can be frustrating for a lot of reasons. I think it would be like a 5 hour golf round.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:21 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

VIR has about 18 member days a year along with a myriad of racing and DE's.

Rent a seat in a chump car once. The only thing I ever did close to that was to buy a Corvette track car.

Get notified of new replies

To Best places to live/retire as a HPDE fan

Old 12-07-2017, 11:35 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I have found NCM MSP to have it all for me. I, too, am thinking of building a house there. It has nice weather, located near town with lots to do, centrally located in the eastern part of the US, it is a fantastic track, equidistant from great lakes to the gulf and has great motorsports groups attending throughout the year. But, mostly, it is a great track.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:48 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

What thing in spring mountain?

http://www.thedrive.com/news/9118/wo...as-not-germany
The following users liked this post:
Torch FRC (12-11-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

I'm a bit jealous of the NE... Road America, Mid Ohio, Watkins Glen...
Don't think I could hack the winters.
Considering Eastern Tennessee or Western N Carolina. Somewhere in the foothills? Summers might not be too bad with a little elevation.
Right now, central Oregon is at the top of the list for logistical reasons. Other than PIR, are there any tracks there? At least Thunderhill won't be too far away!

Quick Reply: Best places to live/retire as a HPDE fan