Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best places to live/retire as a HPDE fan

Old 12-07-2017, 12:13 PM
fuggles
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
I'm a bit jealous of the NE... Road America, Mid Ohio, Watkins Glen...
Don't think I could hack the winters.
Considering Eastern Tennessee or Western N Carolina. Somewhere in the foothills? Summers might not be too bad with a little elevation.
Right now, central Oregon is at the top of the list for logistical reasons. Other than PIR, are there any tracks there? At least Thunderhill won't be too far away!
Oregon is high on my list also. Other than PIR there is another track called Oregon Raceway Park. Its straight up 97 from Bend on the east side. I've never been there but it looks very technical and fun.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:41 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by ShahulX
...Surprised nobody mentioned florida... ​
Well....you said you wanted snow - and we just don't get snow in Florida, darn!!!

But...I live in Daytona and it's:

Daytona Int'l Speedway - 15 minutes, but there are only 5 or so HPDE type events every year (1 in April, 4 or so Oct-DEC), and they're expensive ($500-$600 for 1 day; $600-$1000 2 days; $1100-$1300 3 days)

Sebring - 2:30 away

Palm Beach - 2:30

Roebling Road - 3:30

Homestead - 4:30

Road Atlanta - 7:30

Barber Motorsports Park - 8:30

VIR - 9:00

NOLA Motorsports Park - 9:30

Nat'l Corvette Museum Motorsports Park - 11:30
Old 12-07-2017, 12:41 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,463 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by fuggles
Oregon is high on my list also. Other than PIR there is another track called Oregon Raceway Park. Its straight up 97 from Bend on the east side. I've never been there but it looks very technical and fun.
Oregon Raceway Park (ORP) is my favorite track! I'm member of the ORP club: we do have open track days with the club for 3 seasons, and you can't have any more track time than that during the day: it's 9-5 except lunch, open, and there are usually no more than 5-10 cars, si so there's no traffic, either. I'm usually too tired for the day by ~3PM : )

Last edited by X25; 12-07-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:02 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 733 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by fuggles

Awesome! Also curious if the track in Kent, Wa is still open. Saw some old footage of a Trans Am race there (1970?), and the track looked like a blast.
My wife has friends in Redmond, so we're looking around that Bend/Redmond area.
Seen some pretty nice places in Powell Butte and Prineville. 5+ acres, nice shop space, barn... For about half price of here.
Low temp this AM: 19F.

I'll get over it.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:20 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,463 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker

Awesome! Also curious if the track in Kent, Wa is still open. Saw some old footage of a Trans Am race there (1970?), and the track looked like a blast.
My wife has friends in Redmond, so we're looking around that Bend/Redmond area.
Seen some pretty nice places in Powell Butte and Prineville. 5+ acres, nice shop space, barn... For about half price of here.
Low temp this AM: 19F.

I'll get over it.
You mean Pacific Raceways? I honestly avoid it; just too many ways to wreck your car and/or have an injury, there.

I live in Redmond, WA; ~40 minutes to there.

Last edited by X25; 12-07-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:31 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshboody
Opposite in weather, but giving a shout out for Phoenix for others viewing this thread. Many of the tracks no one has heard of but pretty good selection.

Wild Horse and AMP: 5 tracks within 45min... 1 facility with 4 diff tracks / 2 are run backwards which totals 7 configs.
Inde 3hr away... many diff configs
Chuckwala 4hr
Other south CA tracks maybe 6-ish hrs

And $150-ish per track day!
Not to mention they're building a huge motorsports complex down by Casa Grande. Looks very impressive.

http://www.pinalcentral.com/casa_gra...f3ca4d19c.html
Old 12-07-2017, 05:31 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

We looked at a number of places (I'm Retired) and here is what we found out.

Austin (Tex in general) housing was affordable compared to CA but property Taxes were insane.

Atlanta, Same as Tex for affordable homes, better taxes, way to much traffic.

Bluffton SC (just out side of Hilton Head), Great home prices, close to two great cities, but I dont react well to NoSeems bits.

So we stayed here. Truckee Ca. Lots of snow (some years) but the roads clear fast and only once I wasn't able to get out for a track day because of snow. And NO, I drought I could afford CA if I was coming from somewhere else. Traffic is a problem near metro areas, but the back roads are great. Politics? are well Politics.
So forget CA. Why? Because by the time you retire all the Tracks will be for bicycles only.
Mark.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 733 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto One
And NO, I drought I could afford CA if I was coming from somewhere else. Traffic is a problem near metro areas, but the back roads are great. Politics? are well Politics.
So forget CA. Why? Because by the time you retire all the Tracks will be for bicycles only.
Mark.
...after all, it IS the 'anything can happen' state.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:35 PM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

St. Louis (West St. Louis County) - The Gateway To The West

Hours from St. Louis
Road America: 7
NCM Motorsports Park: 4.5
Autobahn Country Club: 4.5
Putnam Park: 4
Mid-Ohio: 7
Road Atlanta: 8.5
Heartland Park: 4.5
Hallett: 6
High Plains Raceway: 11
COTA: 12
VIR: 12
Blackhawk Farms: 5
Gingerman: 6.5
Waterford Hills: 8.5
Barber: 8
MSR (Cresson): 10.5
NOLA: 10
Brainerd: 10.5
Pitt Race: 10
Raceway Park of The Midlands: 6

And on and on...

Feff
Old 12-08-2017, 09:16 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by phxcobra
Not to mention they're building a huge motorsports complex down by Casa Grande. Looks very impressive.

http://www.pinalcentral.com/casa_gra...f3ca4d19c.html
It would be great but this is the 4th pipedream that has been in the media without a load of dirt ever being moved in the last 5 or so years, off the top of my head there is also:
http://www.apexmotorclub.com/
the one on Pima County Fairgrounds that was suppose to be an FIA class III track, one in Pinal Co that started with an 's', the track/resort of the 17 near the downtown bend,etc.

I think the 120 degree summer days may not work for OP or the 100 days over a 100. That said we do have 2 track complexes with multiple configurations and/or tracks within the metro area and two great tracks under 3 hours away Inde (private memberships available) and Chuckwalla.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:27 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
You mean Pacific Raceways? I honestly avoid it; just too many ways to wreck your car and/or have an injury, there.

I live in Redmond, WA; ~40 minutes to there.
I concur! My wife won't let me race there. The (unprotected) trees come right to the edge of the track on the back "straight".
Old 12-08-2017, 01:37 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My wife and I recently moved to Cartersville, GA which is in foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains about 30 miles NW of Atlanta. July and August are HOT but we are up on a mountain ridge and the late afternoons and evenings are pleasant. Today we got about 6" of snow with more to come this afternoon.

Road Atlanta 1.5 hrs (depending on traffic)
Barber Motorsports Park 2.5 hrs
Atlanta Motorsports Park 1 hr
NCM Motorsports Park 4.5 hrs
Virginia International 7.5 hrs

CMP and Roebling Rd are also relatively close however, I've not run those yet.

Jim
Old 12-08-2017, 02:08 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

Florida is my vote also.
Worrying about snow and ice on a track day just does not make any sense.
We can go 365 and only have rain once in a while. Unless it’s Sebring where it rains on half the track sometimes.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:23 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,911 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by ShahulX
Im gonna post this in the off topic forum also... maybe off topic really...

So just curious... where would you live as a track/hpde fan? Where would you live where there are GREAT tracks.. like COTA, VIR, or Watkins Glen... or preferably private tracks like Spring Mountain, Monticello, racetrack resort in NH..

caveats for me.. I dont want to be somewhere where its 100 plus degrees every day of spring and summer.. would like to maybe get a couple snowfalls a year (I like seasons) but not buried every winter. More of a east coast guy.. Id be interested in living near Austin for COTA but man its hot in Austin lol..

As for being near great tracks in an area with a low cost of living look anywhere within 60 to 70 miles of Watkins Glen. The only problem is you need to be retired as there aren't many jobs. That distance gets you a World Class track that you can drive to on a daily basis with lots of track days available every season.

Within a day's drive of that region you can reach Pocono, Pittrace, NY Safety Track, Limerock and Summit Point.

Bill
Old 12-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Andrie
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You know, this made me think, how about retire in Europe? Anyone has more info about Europe?
Old 12-08-2017, 04:54 PM
PeteC7
Pro

Received 214 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrie
You know, this made me think, how about retire in Europe? Anyone has more info about Europe?
Nurburgring and Spa are very close to each other. Italy and Spain also has some great tracks and great weather. Not many Corvettes in Europe, for multiple reasons, so you'd probably end up with a Porsche or BMW or something.

Australia could be fun too since they have that V8 super car series over their not to mention Phillip Island.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:42 PM
balljointnut
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshboody
Opposite in weather, but giving a shout out for Phoenix for others viewing this thread. Many of the tracks no one has heard of but pretty good selection.

Wild Horse and AMP: 5 tracks within 45min... 1 facility with 4 diff tracks / 2 are run backwards which totals 7 configs.
Inde 3hr away... many diff configs
Chuckwala 4hr
Other south CA tracks maybe 6-ish hrs

And $150-ish per track day!

Get notified of new replies

To Best places to live/retire as a HPDE fan

Old 12-09-2017, 09:43 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Just before I retired, I was looking at a move to France (southern), at the time (2004) prices were great, 5 year visa, never did get a quote for the carnet for the Z. At the time my wife was way in to her family so it became a No Go. I most recently have looked in to Marbella Spain, mostly because I want to be warm, and I can deal with Spanish better then French. Germany, Swiss, AUS, just to expensive.

Mark.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:53 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Miami is great. I love Homestead, Daytona, Road Atlanta and they’re all relatively close.

The Glen is awesome but I’m not a fan of the NE

Laguna & Thunderhill rock but I hate CA.

Let you know after I drive COTA

Then again, $ no object a place in Germany near The Ring with a garage full of race cars would be fun

Last edited by Mjolitor 68; 12-09-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:04 AM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrie
I moved to north west london. About 1hr to Silverstone and Brands Hatch. About 2hours to donnington. That excludes lesser known tracks of which there are many.

Then lots of people ferry to mainland Europe. Drawbacks are weather and food in the UK compared to California.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best places to live/retire as a HPDE fan