Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Race or HPDE seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 02:43 PM
pielet97
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Track Race or HPDE seats

C6Z, which seats are too tight for the vehicle? I'm looking for seats to swap in and out for track days. I'm 6'1", 195, athletic build, 33" waist/inseam.

My closest dealer is in Austin, about 3 hours away.

I'm leaning towards the Sparco Ergo, Evo or Pro 2000, and the OMP HTE-r or R400.

thanks!
Old 12-11-2017, 02:51 PM
paul69camaro
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Also look into the OMP WRC-R. Very similar to the evo and should fit the C6Z since they fit in the C5Z. I wanted to buy the OMP R400's but I co-own the car with a guy that also has a very athletic build and he felt the shoulders were too tight so we settled on the WRC's. I'm only 6 foot tall but I guess I have a long torso and the harness slots on the EVO were significantly too low for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by paul69camaro:
pielet97 (12-11-2017), speedwaywhite (12-12-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 03:14 PM
jw1
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I just installed the Sparco Evo II LFs in my 2011 Grand Sport using the Marrad sliders. The fit was tight, but everything went in even with full interior.

Given your size you can probably get away with the regular sized Evo seat so they should easily fit.
The following 2 users liked this post by jw1:
DASH2005 (01-31-2018), pielet97 (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 05:52 PM
hanseng1
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Highly recommend you make the trip and try out a variety of seats. It can be difficult for those with athletic builds. I've tried a wide variety, including Cobras, OMPs, Bimarco, Sparco, and am yet to find one that fits well.

As an example, I'm 5'11" with a 32" waist and a 44" chest. My driver's seat is a Sparco Pro 2000, which fits my back well. The Evo 2 on the passenger side doesn't. However, the shoulder bolstering on the Pro 2000 makes it very difficult to shift; have to tuck my right arm in when shifting.

My first attempt was blindly ordering a Corbeau FX1 Pro, which was a horrible mistake. It took me a couple months of trial and error to find a seat that wasn't horribly uncomfortable.

Good luck.

Last edited by hanseng1; 12-11-2017 at 05:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hanseng1:
DASH2005 (01-31-2018), pielet97 (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 06:45 PM
pielet97
Instructor

Originally Posted by hanseng1
Highly recommend you make the trip and try out a variety of seats. It can be difficult for those with athletic builds. I've tried a wide variety, including Cobras, OMPs, Bimarco, Sparco, and am yet to find one that fits well.

As an example, I'm 5'11" with a 32" waist and a 44" chest. My driver's seat is a Sparco Pro 2000, which fits my back well. The Evo 2 on the passenger side doesn't. However, the shoulder bolstering on the Pro 2000 makes it very difficult to shift; have to tuck my right arm in when shifting.

My first attempt was blindly ordering a Corbeau FX1 Pro, which was a horrible mistake. It took me a couple months of trial and error to find a seat that wasn't horribly uncomfortable.

Good luck.
Sounds like sage advice, but I dread sitting the the car for 3hrs each way to spend 30 minutes in a shop......

So, it sounds like most seats fit in the C6? Winding road racing responded with some inventory. I'll see if they have the WRC-R in stock.

"We currently have a Pro 2000, Evo, a couple other Sparcos, but not the Ergo. OMP we have a HTE-R but not the R400. Other seats we have include Oreca, Momo, Driven."
Old 12-12-2017, 10:46 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Just a heads-up...

Some HPDE groups requires the same seat both driver and passenger when you have an instructor. You may be solo'd by everyone but just passing the info along.
The following users liked this post:
pielet97 (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 01:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

The other thing to look at is using an aluminum racing seat. Kirkey and Ultrashield have excellent choices. Just have to install a back brace from the back of the seat to the harness bar. IO Port makes the back braces.

I ran a 17 inch Ultrashield on both sides of my C6Z. Size is determined by sitting on a bench and having somebody measure the distance across your hips. Waist isn't important. Even the lowest cost ones have shoulder supports that wrap around the shoulders to hold you in place and you can get full containment seats as well. The advantage of an aluminum seat is it is modifiable to fit the way you want it to. If the side bolster is tough to climb over when getting in or out of the car you can use a baseball bat and some wrenches to arc the side so you can get in easier.

They don't look as fancy as the other seats but they are light, provide great support and are easily swapped in and out between events. I had mine set up on Hardbar rails (several vendors still make the design) and it was easy to lift them out of the car. Lap and sub belts were connected to the seat mounts and installed as a package with the seats.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 12-12-2017 at 01:15 PM.
pielet97 (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 07:27 PM
_BlueZ06_
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 08 z06

I replied to your other thread, but I have the OMP HTE-400. Given your height, the seats will not be fun to swap in and out. That was my intent, but I leave them installed and only put factory seats back in winter. Sliders may have your helmet hitting the roof too as an fyi.

I'm 6'0 / 230lbs.
pielet97 (12-12-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 03:38 PM
mnmthoele
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I run a seat from BiMarco, the Futura model. I do not know if there is a US distributor. I ordered mine online a couple of years ago and have been very happy with them. They are FIA spec. They come out of Poland, so they take a little extra time to get delivered. I'm a little shorter than you, but about the same weight, and mine are in a C5.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:07 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by pielet97
C6Z, which seats are too tight for the vehicle? I'm looking for seats to swap in and out for track days. I'm 6'1", 195, athletic build, 33" waist/inseam.

I'm leaning towards the Sparco Ergo, Evo or Pro 2000, and the OMP HTE-r or R400.

thanks!
If you're ever in DFW, I'll let you try and fit in mine. I have an Evo 1 - Driver / Evo 2 - Passenger.

Originally Posted by jw1
I just installed the Sparco Evo II LFs in my 2011 Grand Sport using the Marrad sliders. The fit was tight, but everything went in even with full interior.

Given your size you can probably get away with the regular sized Evo seat so they should easily fit.
I haven't been able to attach sliders to my Sparcos...
What rails did you use? What is your full setup?
pielet97 (12-14-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 08:44 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Kirkey
Bill - you must being into S&M - or like sitting in the cheapo/economy seats in the back of the plane!!! Not knocking you - just trying to keep it light. I had a Kirkey (it was a freebie) for the 1st seat in my ASA/GTA car...OMG! So very uncomfortable - absolutely hated it, gave it away...it's in Georgia now in another ASA/GTA car. Just giving my input, again, not picking on you.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:32 PM
pielet97
Instructor

Originally Posted by R_W
If you're ever in DFW, I'll let you try and fit in mine. I have an Evo 1 - Driver / Evo 2 - Passenger.

Thanks, after the input, I think the Ergo, Evo or OMP are in the fight.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:47 AM
jw1
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I have the Marrad low rails with their sliders and side mounts attached to a Sparco Evo 2 LF.

Originally Posted by R_W

Old 12-15-2017, 02:51 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1
I have the Marrad low rails with their sliders and side mounts attached to a Sparco Evo 2 LF.
Ok, I was told that Marrad brackets won't fit Sparco Evos. Hmmm
What harnesses are you running?
Old 12-15-2017, 06:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
Bill - you must being into S&M - or like sitting in the cheapo/economy seats in the back of the plane!!! Not knocking you - just trying to keep it light. I had a Kirkey (it was a freebie) for the 1st seat in my ASA/GTA car...OMG! So very uncomfortable - absolutely hated it, gave it away...it's in Georgia now in another ASA/GTA car. Just giving my input, again, not picking on you.
I only rode in a few Kirkey seats and didn't think they were all that bad. My Ultrashield 20 degree layback seat was very comfortable. On the passenger side I had a 10 degree layback seat that let me recline the back at the same angle as the driver's seat but raised the front of the seat bottom a few inches. That let the seat accommodate a larger range of passenger body sizes. The tall people were folded like a jack knife and the short people had trouble getting their feet on the floor. The belts worked across a wider range of occupants because their butts were sunk down in the seat with their knees higher than their pelvis so there was less chance of submarining under the lap belt.

The only comfort issue with the aluminum seat is the very high seat bottom bolster since the side of the bolster is above the top of your legs. You have about an 8 inch drop into the seat so the best way to get into it is to sit on the edge of the seat bolster and let your butt slide down into the seat. If there is anything hanging low between your legs it can get quite painful. It helps to have underwear that keeps stuff in its proper place.

Bill
Old 12-19-2017, 07:28 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I added Kirkey's lumbar support (a piece of foam ) to my aluminum seat, and it made a world of a difference in comfort to me. I can easily drive the car for several hours without any discomfort.

Last edited by Jason Staley; 12-19-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:05 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by pielet97

thanks!
ALL.............of the seats, and other racing/track gear are available to sit in and test at GSpeed (Lou's son) at MSR in Cresson. https://gspeed.com/

Get notified of new replies

To Track Race or HPDE seats

Old 12-20-2017, 01:13 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I agree with Bill's comments about the Kirkey aluminum seat.....I have narrow shoulders, so the standard seats (Sparco, etc) did not really fit me well (my first seat was a Sparco Evo). With the Kirkey, I was able to bend the "ears" so that it gripped my shoulders while in hard corners. Some guys even bend the sides to grip their bodies. The point is that it is adjustable to better fit a variety of body sizes and shapes.

Good luck with your search.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:38 AM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Sparco makes two versions of the Evo. There is the US version which is wider and the Euro which has higher harness slots. I’m 6’2” and the regular Evo does not have the harness slots high enough for me. I got the Euro version which put the harness slots in the correct place.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:00 PM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you looked at Angel Pads as an inexpensive alternative? They're not the equivalent of a full race seat, but an excellent choice for part-time HPDE use. I use mine with a 6-point harness in my daily driver and they work great.
DASH2005 (01-31-2018)

Quick Reply: Track Race or HPDE seats