Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new I phone+Harrys or new gopro?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 06:03 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
Default new I phone+Harrys or new gopro?

Hoping some of the tech savvy guys can answer a question. The old gopro has died, and it would be nice to gather some data along with videos of track events. Would a new I phone with the improved camera and the deluxe Harry's lap timer be as good as a new gopro or Garmin as far as video? Acceptable? I'm not sure I can justify spending for a really good data system. The advantages of the I phone route are that the phone can be tax deducted, and they also have a promotion going on--buy one and get two (happy wife). I realize some mini cameras don't gather data.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:19 PM
gpuglisi
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

The newer iPhone camera is not so great as an action cam. Too much jitter for me, some info on this on the Harry's Lap Timer Support site. You can control a GoPro with Harry's and overlay data from the app, again details on the support site.
The following users liked this post:
apex26 (12-14-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 10:36 PM
SnakeaterZ28
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by apex26
Hoping some of the tech savvy guys can answer a question. The old gopro has died, and it would be nice to gather some data along with videos of track events. Would a new I phone with the improved camera and the deluxe Harry's lap timer be as good as a new gopro or Garmin as far as video? Acceptable? I'm not sure I can justify spending for a really good data system. The advantages of the I phone route are that the phone can be tax deducted, and they also have a promotion going on--buy one and get two (happy wife). I realize some mini cameras don't gather data.

Harry's Lap timer is great. A Iphone with a RAM mount would totally work for in car stuff. However later on down the road you can also get a action cam of your choosing. And have picture in picture videos with Harry's overlay.

Here is a link to Harry's with a Hero5 and a PLX Kiwi OBD2 adapter.
The following users liked this post:
apex26 (12-14-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To new I phone+Harrys or new gopro?

Quick Reply: new I phone+Harrys or new gopro?