Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing SKF x tracker bearings, C5

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 11:08 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Installing SKF x tracker bearings, C5

Replacing the front bearings and installing AP brakes today. The torx bolt holding the bearing in has some red locktite on it when I removed them. Factory service manual doesn't say to put locktite on in the replacement procedure. Do you guys put locktite on these when replacing the bearing. If yes, do you use blue or red?

Since it's a torx, I don't want to strip the head if/when I have to replace these again. If I locktite it, am I taking this chance?

Thanks gents
Dan
Old 12-27-2017, 12:43 PM
0Adrian @ F.A.S.T.
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H.
Replacing the front bearings and installing AP brakes today. The torx bolt holding the bearing in has some red locktite on it when I removed them. Factory service manual doesn't say to put locktite on in the replacement procedure. Do you guys put locktite on these when replacing the bearing. If yes, do you use blue or red?

Since it's a torx, I don't want to strip the head if/when I have to replace these again. If I locktite it, am I taking this chance?

Thanks gents
Dan
Put locktite there, a lot of the times service manuals say to replace the bolts, which will come with locktite on them already. Just reuse your bolts and put locktite on them, if you ever remove them: with the spindle removed, give the torx socket a few taps with a hammer to help let loose. We never had one strip doing it this way.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:23 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Default bearing bolts

It sounds like you are far enough into it that you probably don't want to stop, BUT...
the torx bolts you are referring to are "torque to yield". They should not be reused according to most experts.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:35 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Yeah, they are already in. I reused the old bolts. Cleaned the threads on a bench grinder. And put a dab of blue locktite on. Torqued then to 96 ft-lbs and marked the with a sharpie to see if they loosen over time.
Name:  photo199.jpg
Views: 1762
Size:  648.9 KB
Old 12-28-2017, 02:43 PM
RocketRod
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice wook and setup! Did you go with ARP studs?
Old 12-28-2017, 03:00 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Yes, those are the arp's. They are way longer than the stockers. I picked them up with the hubs from joe at Phoenix. Their shop is about an hour south of me so it's fun to drop in there and look around
Old 12-28-2017, 10:34 PM
alextz
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Red locktite a must
Old 12-29-2017, 01:04 PM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by alextz
Red locktite a must
What he said...blue does nothing at the normal temps in that area. I replaced the bolts with high strength reusable fasteners and put a dab of Loctite red on each one. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The Service Manual doesn't indicate the bolts should be replaced and it doesn't mention using Locktite. I removed and replaced several hubs on my two C5s and C6Z. I reused the bolts and didn't put any Locktite on them. Torqued to the proper setting they never came loose. Biggest issue getting the bolts out is the lower bolt that requires dropping the ball joint stud down so you can gain access to it. The knuckle isn't as deep there so the bolt sticks out through the other side of the knuckle where it can get covered with dirt and moisture. If you don't clean those threads before trying to remove the bolt you can be in for a severe problem trying to turn the bolt after a couple of turns. That might lead to screwing up the Torx socket in the bolt head.

Bill
Old 12-31-2017, 08:55 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Thanks for the help gents, the bearings installed and marked. I'm pretty excited to try out these new brakes.
The following users liked this post:
RocketRod (12-31-2017)
Old 01-03-2018, 10:24 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Marking them was a good idea Dan. Easy to see if they loosen up. I've got almost every bolt under the car marked - suspension, shocks, hubs, sways, cradle, etc. Makes doing routine Nut & Bolt check so much easier.

FYI - you are going to love the AP brakes. They are a revelation. I could go on all day about how much I love em but to me the best thing is their longevity - they are as close to 'install and forget' as your'e going to find. As any advanced driver on stock C5 brakes knows - they work but require a ton of maintenance - constantly bleeding and flipping pads. With the APs, all that goes away - the maintenance is so low.

Last edited by argonaut; 01-03-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:34 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by argonaut
Marking them was a good idea Dan. Easy to see if they loosen up. I've got almost every bolt under the car marked - suspension, shocks, hubs, sways, cradle, etc. Makes doing routine Nut & Bolt check so much easier.

FYI - you are going to love the AP brakes. They are a revelation. I could go on all day about how much I love em but to me the best thing is their longevity - they are as close to 'install and forget' as your'e going to find. As any advanced driver on stock C5 brakes knows - they work but require a ton of maintenance - constantly bleeding and flipping pads. With the APs, all that goes away - the maintenance is so low.
Thanks for the response!
Yes, I used to run through all my suspension bolts/nuts with a torque wrench twice a summer. Now that they are all marked, I'm checking more often but without having to do the torque wrench as often.

I'm really looking forward to running with these brakes. I'm not quite an advanced driver, but I did reach the stage of constantly dealing with melted boots, tapered pads, bleeding fluid, and cracking rotors. Really looking forward to less of that not to mention the increase in performance.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:04 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts

These wheel bearing bolts should be added to everyones check list when the car is in the air. Most dont have problems, but I cant tell you how many we come across that are loose.

"Keeping You on Track!"
http://www.gspeed.com
877-512-5180

Instagram_Facebook_YouTube

GSpeed C7Z Cooling Development

2014 NASA Texas TT1 Champion
2015 NASA Texas ST1 Champion
2018 NASA TTU & TT3 National Champions
2019 NASA ST2 National Champion
2019 NASA Texas TT2 Champion
2020 SCCA Majors COTA GT2 pole sitter
2020 SCCA Trans Am Road Atlanta SGT Winner
2022 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion TT2
Old 01-03-2018, 09:47 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 316 Posts

A related question - I have been told by a couple NASA racers that if/when I were to setup to the AP brakes it might also be wise to also step up to the stronger C6 ZR1 spindle/knuckles as well. Thoughts?
Old 01-03-2018, 09:54 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by JHrinsin
A related question - I have been told by a couple NASA racers that if/when I were to setup to the AP brakes it might also be wise to also step up to the stronger C6 ZR1 spindle/knuckles as well. Thoughts?
The C5 has a weaker upright (spindle) in the brake ear area and weaker bearings. It also has a PASSIVE ABS sensor.

If you took the C6 upright, combined with the standard SKF tracker bearing, you would have the SAME setup as the ZR1, with the proper passive sensor the C5 needs for the ABS to function.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:18 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

It's on all C6s after 2009. The part was upgraded for the ZR1 but all cars got it not just the ZR1s. Yes, it's a worthwhile upgrade if you're replacing the upright. It does come with a new upper ball joint too. I paid just over $300 shipped last year for both sides.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:01 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

+1 on replacing the spindles. When I stepped up to the AP brakes on my C5, I also installed the SKF Xtracker bearings and the ZR1 spindles.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing SKF x tracker bearings, C5

Old 01-04-2018, 06:55 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Yes, for two reasons.
1. They need to be replaced periodically due to stress. I change mine now after every 150 hours of run time. They will eventually break due to stress. I broke one at a race and went off track. Fortunately there was runoff.
2. With AP and any high bite/grip brake/tire combo you will get flex in the C5 spindle on the flange that holds the caliper mounts. This will result in diagonal pad taper.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:17 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

What is the part number for the ZR1 spindles?

Thanks!!
Old 01-04-2018, 10:45 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
What is the part number for the ZR1 spindles?

Thanks!!
Part numbers are note above in post #16
The following users liked this post:
fatbillybob (01-05-2018)

Quick Reply: Installing SKF x tracker bearings, C5