Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 z06. Trans cooler install. Temp sensor in drain rather than return?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 05:31 AM
Sub8
Pro

Received 107 Likes on 94 Posts

Default C5 z06. Trans cooler install. Temp sensor in drain rather than return?

Hi. Just finishing my trans cooler install. Similar to the DRM kit.

As standard the temp sensor goes in the fill hole. This becomes the return from the cooler typically with a t piece fitting to accommodate temp sensor and return oil line.

In this configuration the sensor is no longer in the gearbox and it would be reading the return oil temp not bulk box temp.

Any reason not to move it to drain / cooler feed location? Now your measuring bulk box temp. Only issue I can see is having the bulky t-piece in a more vunerable location on bottom of box.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:30 AM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I think its important to know how hot the oil is getting.

I would mount mine somewhere between exiting the diff and before entering the cooler, depending on ease of accessibility, wiring, etc.

Last edited by D K; 01-27-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:24 AM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I put a T on the inlet to the pump and put the temp sensor there. This way you're getting exit temps but in a secure protected location behind the wheel well. Also makes the wiring easy as you can run the temp wires with the power wires in one loom.

Last edited by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe; 01-27-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:04 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
I put a T on the inlet to the pump and put the temp sensor there. This way you're getting exit temps but in a secure protected location behind the wheel well. Also makes the wiring easy as you can run the temp wires with the power wires in one loom.
I did something similar except my T fitting is at the fill hole. We used a nipple out of the trans to the T and then installed the temp sensor in one end and the output to the cooler pump in the other. This way you are getting almost the exact location and can reuse factory plug without extending wiring.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:32 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
I did something similar except my T fitting is at the fill hole. We used a nipple out of the trans to the T and then installed the temp sensor in one end and the output to the cooler pump in the other. This way you are getting almost the exact location and can reuse factory plug without extending wiring.
If I was reusing the factory wiring, I would do this. If you buy the DRM kit, Randy will supply a T fitting for the trans inlet for this exact purpose.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 z06. Trans cooler install. Temp sensor in drain rather than return?

Quick Reply: C5 z06. Trans cooler install. Temp sensor in drain rather than return?