Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pca not allowing harness bars???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 03:53 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by ncstingray
I think we are losing sight of the context of the post. The Joey Hand crash was during a race with guys running 10/10ths trying to get a better race position. I surely don't try and run at that level during a HPDE and this is what PCA is directing the harness bar limitation to is HPDE. I think a "well designed" harness bar in a car with halo seats, 6 point harnesses and a HANS is much safer than three point belts and that's all. I am considering adding a full cage to my GS as this will be the next increment in making my car safer.

A cage isn't in my future, but it would be if I was planning to track this car much more.
The Joey Hand crash is also an example of having track hazards to be aware of. His initial off was of no consequence, but it sent him across a berm that acted like a launch ramp.
If there are potential trouble spots, best to be wary of them. Buttonwillow comes to mind (heading there next week!). If you look over the edge of that big banked curve (Riverside?), there's nothing but soft sandy dessert soil. A high speed off there might be ugly.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:53 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by ncstingray
So the Simpson provides HANS without the need for race harnesses?
My apology, it's just the Simpson Hybrid, not the Pro S.
https://www.ogracing.com/simpson-fia...neck-restraint
Old 05-10-2018, 08:57 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

The Simpson Hybrid S is the model compatible with 3-point belts. You can use it with a harness as well.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:04 AM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Having just been at the National Corvette Museum, where they have a rolling chassis C5 z06 on display, I took a long look at the rollover hoop--which sheet metal one good whack from a sledge would do considerable damage to, and noticing the front windshield pillar is aluminum, the sensible conclusion was to consider a cage. Trouble is, it's sort of the point of no return for a car, and a major commitment. But, having driven fast cars for a lifetime, and always walking away, you sort of feel like Audie Murphy felt when he said he felt like a "fugitive from the law of averages." Damnit, it's on the agenda nagging, despite having the BK harness bar, seats, harnesses, hans, and front air bags--which is pretty darn good.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:05 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I have a HANS but haven't worn it since I sold my C6Z with the cage and harnesses. I just bought a Simpson Hybrid at VIR last month and am using that. At this point my rationale for getting a harness is so I don't have to prop myself up on the doorsill with my elbow any more.

I've been in a rollover in a stock Viper with stock belts and walked away. It was a slow roll though as we climbed the tire wall until the car went over and came to a stop. I need hit my shoulder on the top of the door and the belts gave enough that I did hit my head when we first went over. After that I was hanging from the stock belts upside down.
Sean I'd like to hear more about the Simpson Hybrid, as I'm thinking of getting one to use with the three point belts in my AMG GTR.

Bish
Old 05-11-2018, 02:51 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by thebishman
Sean I'd like to hear more about the Simpson Hybrid, as I'm thinking of getting one to use with the three point belts in my AMG GTR.

Bish
Here you go. My RV is in the shop and all my gear is in the RV so I'm not able to just go look at the model on what I bought but here is a ton of info:

https://simpsonraceproducts.com/hybr...lt-compatible/

The following users liked this post:
thebishman (05-12-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 03:03 PM
mp4659
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I know pca is chapter dependment, but after the few chapters I’ve tried to run with I don’t even consider their track days as an option. Hooked on driving and chin track days are really phenomenal.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:24 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by mp4659
I know pca is chapter dependment, but after the few chapters I’ve tried to run with I don’t even consider their track days as an option. Hooked on driving and chin track days are really phenomenal.
Surprised to hear that! Been a while, but I time trialed for years with Golden Gate Region. I always found the events well run and safe.
Going to Buttonwillow next weekend with Central Coast and GGR. They've abandoned the Sunday afternoon time trial format, but I hope it's otherwise as I remember...
Old 05-12-2018, 04:58 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by thebishman

Bish
Bish, what questions do you have? I've used mine for 5-6 events now. It buckles around your chest and overall is pretty comfortable. You do have the carbon fiber part between your back and the seat which takes a bit of adjustment in driving position and getting used to the feel of it. The hybrid S still has harness grooves over the shoulder for use with a full race harness, so you can use it in ride alongs in any type of car. You do NOT run a 3 point shoulder belt over these grooves if you're not using a harness. You just buckle in normally with the hybrid S in place and 'working' separately from your 3 point belt.

Try them on first if possible as they run a bit large.

It's really a no brainer. I wouldn't go to the track without it these days.

Last edited by spearfish25; 05-12-2018 at 04:59 AM.
thebishman (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 08:30 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

My only complaint was that it felt like it rode up on my a little bit when I sat down but I have a fair amount of success ballast around the mid-section. That and it does push your head a bit forward.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:23 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Well the F1 safety car uses a harness bar. They don't even cross the belts behind the seat like Schroth recommends if the distance to the seat back is over 21".

Correction: it's a little hoop rear cage. Doesn't really clear the driver's head.

Last edited by spearfish25; 05-13-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:25 AM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

So how safe is "safe? Lets face it, taking your car on a race track at high speed is not as safe as bowling or golf and even in the safest race cars, drivers can die or suffer serious injury, so the question is relative safety. Obviously cage, containment seat, fire system including 3 layers suit, harness and HANS are the best we have now but if we all required that, there would be lot fewer of us on track.

So the decision here is which is more safe, A) OEM 3 points or B) HANS hybrid or C) full harness with a HANS (which requires a harness bar). Certainly my choice is C) and I think most event organizers would be really taking a risk saying that I would not be allowed to wear a HANS ( a proven safety device) because of THEIR perceived risks to me. They could potentially need to prove their position in any investigation of an injury caused by not wearing a HANS and I don't believe they have the data for that.
ncstingray (05-16-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 01:48 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
My only complaint was that it felt like it rode up on my a little bit when I sat down but I have a fair amount of success ballast around the mid-section. That and it does push your head a bit forward.
Mine rides up as well, I have to pull it down after getting settled in the car. I am tall (6'6") and it scuffs the head rest in C6 GS. I shipped it to Simpson and they installed a velcro cover over the metal parts which will help. I made up a head rest cover from stocking cap which is protecting as well.

Only used for six days, still getting accustomed to it.

Quick Reply: Pca not allowing harness bars???