Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Track car

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 03:04 AM
salcolkat
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Good Track car

Just got back from spring mountain and i'm hooked. I have a 2017 Blk 1LZ M7 Callaway 757 and after experiencing how much abuse you dish out on the track combined with the track prep i can't bring myself to track my car. I am thinking about getting a used car to dedicate as a track car. I don't want to spend a ton of money and was thinking about a used stingray Z51. Any advise from people who regularly go to the track would be helpful Thanks.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:11 AM
Erik L
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.motoiq.com/Projects/Chevr...ay(C7Z51).aspx

Here is a track build for a C7 Z51. Its a little budget no object but gives you an idea.

Have you thought about a C5? they seem to make great relatively inexpensive track cars with the right mods. Especially with the new Spec Corvette C5 class there will be lots of data on how to make them live on track out there.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:38 AM
mp4659
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

C6 Grand Sport. Beefier trans/diff, factory dry sump, ls3, wide body (315/345 ready) and steel chassis easier to cage/repair
The following users liked this post:
PRE-Z06 (02-10-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 09:33 AM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 498 Posts

The only place you can enjoy that beautiful Callaway is on the track. I wouldn’t worry about driving your car on the track. These cars are pretty robust as long as you keep up with track prep. I have been tracking my c7z for 2 seasons and you would be hard pressed to see any signs that I track it. If you find yourself driving the car 8/10 and you are driving every other weekend then buy yourself a dedicated car like a c5z. There are a few guys driving c5z’s that I track with that routinely have the FTD for the time trials.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:44 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Find yourself a good C5 Z06. You have way too much car there and you will regret the results (or worse). Driving that car won’t make you a better driver but will allow you to develop bad habits that will be masked by tremendous horsepower.

If you REALLY want to have a blast cheaply and learn to drive a car to the limit, consider a Miata. You’ll learn the penalty for scrubbing speed and develop the skills that eventually will allow you to take your Vette on track with a level of skill and confidence.
fmcokc (02-06-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 09:50 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
Find yourself a good C5 Z06. You have way too much car there and you will regret the results (or worse). Driving that car won’t make you a better driver but will allow you to develop bad habits that will be masked by tremendous horsepower.

If you REALLY want to have a blast cheaply and learn to drive a car to the limit, consider a Miata. You’ll learn the penalty for scrubbing speed and develop the skills that eventually will allow you to take your Vette on track with a level of skill and confidence.
I concur. Consumables will be much cheaper and you learning curve will be steeper. I would buy a USED, but properly setup RACE car (full cage,coolers, brakes etc) from a shop like Phoenix Racing as that is a much more efficient usage of your money.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:59 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 63corvette
i concur. Consumables will be much cheaper and you learning curve will be steeper. I would buy a used, but properly setup race car (full cage,coolers, brakes etc) from a shop like phoenix racing as that is a much more efficient usage of your money.
amen
Old 02-04-2018, 02:01 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

For an economical, but fast build - www.speccorvette.com
The following 2 users liked this post by Olitho:
briank17 (03-15-2018), D K (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 02:35 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Newish driver... spec Miata.
Once you learn to go fast with no horsepower, you'll be spectacular when you get some!
Old 02-04-2018, 03:44 PM
bssofro
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would highly recommend picking up a used GTA tube frame car.
For the following reasons

1) safety- these are tanks and you want something built to protect you in the event you have a "big" one.

2) fast- these are fast high horsepower cars.

3) inexpensive- tires are 160 each and slicks. Brakes are 150 for pads

4) fun factor. These are a ton of fun. No clutch uplifts. Sound amazing.

5) easy to work on. Everything is easily accessible. Clutch change is easy. Quick change rear end allows you to easily modify fro any track

And. Yes. I'm speaking from experience.
AzMotorhead (02-09-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 04:27 PM
salcolkat
Racer

Originally Posted by bssofro
I would highly recommend picking up a used GTA tube frame car.
For the following reasons

1) safety- these are tanks and you want something built to protect you in the event you have a "big" one.

2) fast- these are fast high horsepower cars.

3) inexpensive- tires are 160 each and slicks. Brakes are 150 for pads

4) fun factor. These are a ton of fun. No clutch uplifts. Sound amazing.

5) easy to work on. Everything is easily accessible. Clutch change is easy. Quick change rear end allows you to easily modify fro any track

And. Yes. I'm speaking from experience.
Thanks for all the advice. You guys gave me a lot to think about.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:35 PM
salcolkat
Racer

Originally Posted by Olitho
For an economical, but fast build - www.speccorvette.com
Sent Private message.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:50 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Good track car.

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06

YES - Miata then Spec Corvette
Old 02-04-2018, 08:11 PM
duk007
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I was in some boat last year. 600hp c6z06 that I didn’t want to beat up. Bought a low mileage c5z and had a blast last summer , learned to be a much better driver with less horsepower, building it as a spec car right now. I’m more comfortable driving it a 9/10s knowing I can afford to wreak it, and not worrying about every chip. I frequently pass new z06’s and modified modern cars in my stock , 350 at the wheels , 16 year old car.

I would either buy a built track/ Race car, or buy a c5z and just add safety items until you learn how to drive. A well drivin c5z is hard to beat for most smiles per dollar at most tracks.
63Corvette (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 09:19 PM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

True but the learning curve sucks!

I started off in formula fords and made the ‘mistake’ of testing a shifter kart (which are animals compared to FF)
I never raced FF again.

I think the OP has a GREAT plan!

No reason to tear up a beautiful car on the track!

And, for those who believe you can track a car with no signs of track use: youre not diving hard enough!

Its such a HUGE relief to be able to drive/race a car on track without having to worry, and therefore driving at 8/10 or whatever.

Im also looking at the spec vette very seriously as I believe its a great formula and free of the usual self serving interests of other series!

D

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Newish driver... spec Miata.
Once you learn to go fast with no horsepower, you'll be spectacular when you get some!

Last edited by D K; 02-04-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:04 AM
kdm123
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

I can only agree with the advice others have already given you.

Buy a Miata and do nothing to it but some basic safety equipment. That's a cheap way to learn the basics, and it's also very challenging to drive fast.

Meanwhile, build a spec Corvette!
Old 02-05-2018, 09:21 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

The only reason I wouldn't do the Miata route is the double spend. Great car to learn with but still requires a purchase and small operating and maintenance spend.

I would go straight to the Spec Corvette. Fun, Fast and safe!

Get notified of new replies

To Good Track car

Old 02-05-2018, 09:59 AM
kdm123
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

"The only reason I wouldn't do the Miata route is the double spend. Great car to learn with but still requires a purchase and small operating and maintenance spend.

I would go straight to the Spec Corvette. Fun, Fast and safe! "

Actually yeah, I agree. Contact Oli and he'll guide you through what you need to do.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:19 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by kdm123

Actually yeah, I agree. Contact Oli and he'll guide you through what you need to do.

I like what I am seeing from this Spec Corvette concept and for years I have felt the C5 is one of the best platforms there is for a reasonably priced, fast and safe race/track car.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ffordable.html
Old 02-05-2018, 10:22 AM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you planning on driving said car to the track, or are you planning to trailer it? This is a huge deciding factor.

For the cost of a used Z51 Stingray you could buy a used truck and race car. Race cars simply don't hold their value, so they can be had for cheap. There are plenty of used Camaro/Mustang Challenge cars out there for under $10k. That's a fully caged, ready to race car with rear wheel drive and a V8. Corvettes are great (I'm in the middle of prepping a C5), but there are tons of other options to have a good, safe, time.

The best advice I can give, is to try and plan it out. That means, which truck? Which trailer (open or enclosed)? Where are you going to store all this stuff? How are you carrying tires, tools, and other spares to the track? Which tracks are you going to? Are you sleeping in a hotel at events, or buying a motorhome, or sleeping in your trailer? The car is really the easy part.

Ken
Racingswh (02-05-2018)

Quick Reply: Good Track car