Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone just used SRF and not bled brakes before HPDE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 02:35 AM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

I saw Motul 600 mentioned above - does anyone know how SRF compares to Motul 660?
Old 02-08-2018, 09:02 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

660 has an even lower wet boiling point than The 660. SRF is "only" about 600 dry but it is all abouve 500 wet where everyone else drops into the 400s wet.

https://www.lelandwest.com/brake-flu...ow=1&SF=4&ST=2
Old 02-08-2018, 09:05 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Someone needs to make a container we can pull a vacuum on for brake fluid so we can store it after we open the bottle. I wonder if those wine vacuum things would work.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:33 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
Someone needs to make a container we can pull a vacuum on for brake fluid so we can store it after we open the bottle. I wonder if those wine vacuum things would work.
Interesting idea. You'd probably need to pour the left over in to a glass bottle anyway as the plastic won't pull a vacuum without collapsing.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:41 AM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
I'd stick with the Motul 600 unless you do a true bleed. The SRF may not be compatible with what's in it. I use the Motul for the clutch and it works fine there. I also have a remote bleeder so I can keep it clean.
I've got nothing to lose, once your petal stays down, and the ranger method changes very little fluid. Don't see why SKF isn't as mixable as Motul. Besides, with a massive 150Ml syringe it will flush out most all of it. Remote bleeder in it's future, but not yet.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:27 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Interesting idea. You'd probably need to pour the left over in to a glass bottle anyway as the plastic won't pull a vacuum without collapsing.
Yeah, I'm just not sure how much vacuum they pull. I bet it's pretty good though- at least enough to minimize the air in there and keep air from circulating in and out. I'd use a smaller wine bottle though- less headspace/air.

Then again, just thinking through it, it's not worth it for 1/2 a bottle of $16 RBF600 and I wouldn't want it sitting around for 4 months if it's SRF. My buddy fills his old bottles with nitrogen. He races bikes competitively so 1 bottle of SRF is good for like 5 complete flushes.

Last edited by village idiot; 02-08-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:04 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 834 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
...Then again, just thinking through it, it's not worth it for 1/2 a bottle of $16 RBF600...
Yeah - most every other fluid comes in smaller containers (500ml, 12 or 16 ounces), but the SRF only comes in 1 Liter jugs. With a Liter of SRF costing around $70, half jug of SRF is worth $35 or so, so it's definitely worth trying to save it.

I wish they sold the SRF in 500ml bottles!

BTW - I use a Motive Power Bleeder, but any fluid left in the Motive jug after a flush or bleed is junk. So I never put the fluid in the Motive jug. I just use the Motive as a pressure source by hooking up the empty Motive to the m/c and pumping it up around 5-10psi, and that's plenty of pressure for a flush or bleed. I do need to be VERY careful to keep the m/c filled up so no air gets into the brake lines. I always check and top off the m/c with fluid after bleeding each corner.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:06 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Yeah - most every other fluid comes in smaller containers (500ml, 12 or 16 ounces), but the SRF only comes in 1 Liter jugs. With a Liter of SRF costing around $70, half jug of SRF is worth $35 or so, so it's definitely worth trying to save it.

I wish they sold the SRF in 500ml bottles!

BTW - I use a Motive Power Bleeder, but any fluid left in the Motive jug after a flush or bleed is junk. So I never put the fluid in the Motive jug. I just use the Motive as a pressure source by hooking up the empty Motive to the m/c and pumping it up around 5-10psi, and that's plenty of pressure for a flush or bleed. I do need to be VERY careful to keep the m/c filled up so no air gets into the brake lines. I always check and top off the m/c with fluid after bleeding each corner.

I use my Motive bleeder the same way. I wonder how squirting a little nitrogen, like wine saver, would do as far as moisture control in an open bottle of SRF?
Old 02-08-2018, 12:31 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 834 Likes on 594 Posts

...I wonder how squirting a little nitrogen, like wine saver, would do as far as moisture control in an open bottle of SRF?
Info on the Motul site about RBF 600 says:

Each bottle is filled with Nitrogen, increasing shelf life and eliminating contamination while factory sealed.

I'm sure Castrol does the same thing with their fluids.

I guess that after opening and using some fluid, if you could displace any humid air with dry nitrogen and then close the bottle firmly that you could store it for a little while longer.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:38 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

I guess that after opening and using some fluid, if you could displace any humid air with dry nitrogen and then close the bottle firmly that you could store it for a little while longer.

I was thinking the same thing. Next time I open a bottle I'll give it a shot.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:52 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Put it in a ziplock back and use a little plastic wrap Uber the cap.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:08 PM
mp4659
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

My car is a dedicated race car, but even when it was just a track day car once I switched to srf from another brand basically stopped bleeding my brakes. Just being honest. I’ll swap fresh srf mid season but that’s about it.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:34 AM
bellwilliam
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H.
I've cooked motul twice now, WGI and VIR. This is with brake cooling ducts, fresh fluid every time, and new full thickness xp12 pads. These events rattled my confidence so this winter AP six piston calipers and SRF became the off season project
you sure it isn't your XP12 pads overheated ? XP12 is pretty standard on a 130whp, 2,400LB (including driver) Spec Miata. On 140whp Supermiata, many of us run XP18 on hard braking track.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:59 AM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H.
I've cooked motul twice now, WGI and VIR. This is with brake cooling ducts, fresh fluid every time, and new full thickness xp12 pads. These events rattled my confidence so this winter AP six piston calipers and SRF became the off season project
What calipers and what size rotors were you using when you cooked the Motul?
Old 02-09-2018, 06:28 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Love SRF. Do an event a month. I bleed spring and fall and that's it.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:45 AM
Koan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had many dedicated track cars over the years. When I was using ATE Superblue or Motul, I'd bleed each corner between events. I switched to SRF in my GT3 and changed the fluid only 1 time/season, and never had brake fade. I'd average 12 2 or 3 day events/yr.

Once, I had 1/2 bottle of SRF in the plastic bottle sitting around for 1 year with the cap tight. I tested the fluid with a hygrometer, and it was as good as new. The plastic isn't going to bleed humidity, and I conclude that the amount of moisture in the air above the fluid was not sufficient to change the moisture content in the fluid in the bottle. I simultaneously tested the fluid that had been in the car for a year, and saw that it did have some moisture in it, albeit only a small amount. I flushed the whole system.

I'm running SRF in my 2017 GS ZO7 with ST43 pads and Girodisc rotors. The vette has better brakes than a 6GT3 with PFC 04 pads.
The following users liked this post:
badhabit_wb (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 07:02 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I use my Motive bleeder the same way. I wonder how squirting a little nitrogen, like wine saver, would do as far as moisture control in an open bottle of SRF?
I'm just not sure how you would do that. Its not like the bottle cap has a bleeder on it. It would be great to be able to do this with fluid left in the power bleeder. I already have a quick disconnect on the end of the line so I can switch caps.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone just used SRF and not bled brakes before HPDE?

Old 02-09-2018, 07:16 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I'm just not sure how you would do that. Its not like the bottle cap has a bleeder on it. It would be great to be able to do this with fluid left in the power bleeder. I already have a quick disconnect on the end of the line so I can switch caps.
I was talking about squirting it in the srf bottle and then putting the cap on it. I have a tank with nitrogen in it that I use to fill tires, etc so I could use that. The motive bottle is big but I don't put brake fluid in it I just keep refilling the master cylinder.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:09 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

The amount of water in less than 1L of air is negligible for whatever SRF is left in the bottle with the trapped air and closed lid. I think tying to displace that air with nitrogen is really splitting hairs.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:34 AM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

How about brake fluid storage in the same type of bag system that “boxed wine “ use. No air enters the bag, valve controls the discharge.

Quick Reply: Has anyone just used SRF and not bled brakes before HPDE?