Has anyone just used SRF and not bled brakes before HPDE? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > General Corvette Topics > Autocrossing & Roadracing
Reload this Page >

Has anyone just used SRF and not bled brakes before HPDE?

Notices
Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone just used SRF and not bled brakes before HPDE?

Old 02-06-2018, 04:58 PM
village idiot
CF Senior Member

Default Has anyone just used SRF and not bled brakes before HPDE?

I was looking and SRF has pretty high wet boiling point (518)- probably about what the boiling point of the RBF600 is after quick 1qt bleed and 1 session if I had to guess.

I do 1-2 events a month. I'd much rather flush the whole system with SRF every 2-3 months than 1 quart every event. Bleeding fluid kinda sucks.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:41 PM
Captain Buddha
CF Senior Member

I run SRF in both GT2 race cars. Fluid holds up for a weekend of racing (1 day, or less, of practice, two quals, two sprint races). Always bleed before the next weekend. If the pedal feels soft I'll bleed if needed.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:37 PM
63Corvette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha View Post
I run SRF in both GT2 race cars. Fluid holds up for a weekend of racing (1 day, or less, of practice, two quals, two sprint races). Always bleed before the next weekend. If the pedal feels soft I'll bleed if needed.
I concur
Old 02-06-2018, 07:41 PM
badhabit_wb
CF Senior Member

Bleed them!
Old 02-06-2018, 07:47 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,728 Times in 723 Posts

I run SRF and I flush them once at the beginning of the season and might flush them once during the season because the fluid starts to look dark. I probably average about two events a month from March through November. No issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to Poor-sha For This Useful Post:
village idiot (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 12:46 PM
TKOGTO
CF Senior Member

Similar to Poor-sha, I start season with fresh fluid (Motul) and run that for 5 days. New fluid goes in prior to mid-July event @ WGI (heavy braking track) and I run that for the remainder of the year, another 5 - 6 events. With Quantum duct kit, I have yet to have an issue.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:25 PM
Dan H.
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '17

Subscribed,
I've changed over to SRF this winter from Motul 600. I've also upgraded to an AP front BBK. I've heard from several people who say they don't bleed their brakes for every DE event because they use SRF. Love the concept of less maintenance, but I don't know if I can bring myself to do it. I still change synthetic oil in my DD after 3500 miles.........
Old 02-07-2018, 02:36 PM
badhabit_wb
CF Senior Member

I changed from Motul to SRF and like the SRF better but I think bleeding is cheap life insurance. If a quart of SRF will stop you from going to the track then maybe staying home is a good idea.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:24 PM
gpuglisi
CF Senior Member

I run SRF and only bleed every second or third event. Maintenance was much higher with Motul, bleed after every event and more frequent flushing.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:44 PM
apex26
CF Senior Member

My experience with SRF is like the others--much better. Bought the plastic line and syringe and can't wait to bleed the clutch slave with it come spring using the "improved ranger" method.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:50 PM
badhabit_wb
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by apex26 View Post
My experience with SRF is like the others--much better. Bought the plastic line and syringe and can't wait to bleed the clutch slave with it come spring using the "improved ranger" method.
I'd stick with the Motul 600 unless you do a true bleed. The SRF may not be compatible with what's in it. I use the Motul for the clutch and it works fine there. I also have a remote bleeder so I can keep it clean.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:48 PM
village idiot
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb View Post
I changed from Motul to SRF and like the SRF better but I think bleeding is cheap life insurance. If a quart of SRF will stop you from going to the track then maybe staying home is a good idea.
It's not the money. It's just a PITA to do every track day.

If I'm going to bleed every time, I'm just going to use RBF. Not need for SRF if I am going to bleed with RBF. Also, when I bleed with RBF, I basically bleed half the system. If I'm opening a bottle, might as well use the whole thing.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:49 PM
village idiot
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Poor-sha View Post
I run SRF and I flush them once at the beginning of the season and might flush them once during the season because the fluid starts to look dark. I probably average about two events a month from March through November. No issues.
Awesome. I was thinking I'd flush it once every 4-5 events.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:22 PM
synner
CF Member

I'd cook Motul in a weekend easily, SRF I bleed after 2 full weekends so I consider worth the extra money to help save my back from maintenance.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:23 PM
village idiot
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by synner View Post
I'd cook Motul in a weekend easily, SRF I bleed after 2 full weekends so I consider worth the extra money to help save my back from maintenance.
Jesus, what track? What are you running?
Old 02-07-2018, 07:18 PM
synner
CF Member

It's in a 5th gen camaro on very sticky tires but with 6-pistons, ducts and track pads. The weight just fries brakes and I'm unwilling to gut the car. I run all over the southeast. I had some off track adventures when things overheated with the Motul but none since switching to SRF.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:47 PM
Dan H.
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by synner
I've cooked motul twice now, WGI and VIR. This is with brake cooling ducts, fresh fluid every time, and new full thickness xp12 pads. These events rattled my confidence so this winter AP six piston calipers and SRF became the off season project
Old 02-07-2018, 07:56 PM
Mordeth
CF Senior Member

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

I run SRF in my C6Z which is a dedicated track car. It definitely holds up longer than Motul. I bleed once a month, which usually equates to 6 track days. I will also typically bleed prior to a 3 day event (regardless of how long since last time) if I know I am going to be beating the crap out of the car in an advanced/open track group for 3 straight days. It gives me piece of mind and I then don't have to worry/fret about it. Same thing with pads. Fresh front pads if I am doing an extended event, regardless of what happens to be on there.

In most of the advanced groups I am in almost all of the guys I know start the weekend with fresh pads and brake fluid (including me).
Old 02-07-2018, 08:31 PM
gpuglisi
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dan H. View Post
I've cooked motul twice now, WGI and VIR. This is with brake cooling ducts, fresh fluid every time, and new full thickness xp12 pads. These events rattled my confidence so this winter AP six piston calipers and SRF became the off season project
I cooked it once with a TT-RS at NHMS, not fun at all. That's when I switched to SRF. No issues since.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:00 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
CF Senior Member

I've run multiple weekends over a span of 6-months on SRF with no issue in my C5, but do have a have large PFC BBK with ducts. If you do feel the pedal start to go long / spongy, go strait in and flush it. I've heard from a reliable source that once it starts to go, it goes fast.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone just used SRF and not bled brakes before HPDE?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: