Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5Z louder exhaust options

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 02:10 PM
KCblues
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default C5Z louder exhaust options

Looking for a louder than stock exhaust for the track to assist my old ears on rev matching. Got a good deal on a set of Borla straights but I’m worried about passing sound at SCCA National Solo events. Another option is Billy Boat Bullets. Basically I’d like to go as loud as possible while still being legal for SCCA Solo (cats back to stay in class).

Last edited by KCblues; 02-10-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:32 PM
YYZ06
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I got a set (used) of Billy Boat PRTs when I bent one of my titaniums. They are a straight through design with a side sound chamber. Sound great at WOT and not too bad around the neighborhood. I have ARH headers and catted X-pipe.

The down side is the weight (although anything weighs a ton compared to the titanium exhaust) and there is a droan between 1300 & 1600 RPM. I almost never drive the car on the street any more so it isn't an issue. I'm not sure how they stack up weight wise against Corsa. The Corsas I had on my old Mustang were pretty heavy.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:44 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Borla makes two different flavors. I can’t remember what they call each respective one but one is quite snotty and in addition to being pretty loud, also burbles and crackles on overrun. The other is more street oriented but tends to drone. Overall best choice....Corsa. Nice deep mellow growl without any drone or excessive loudness.

Last edited by Hi Volts Z06; 02-10-2018 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Fucking autocorrect...
Old 02-13-2018, 12:00 PM
duk007
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
Borla makes two different flavors. I can’t remember what they call each respective one but one is quite snotty and in addition to being pretty loud, also burbles and crackles on overrun. The other is more street oriented but tends to drone. Overall best choice....Corsa. Nice deep mellow growl without any drone or excessive loudness.

I’ve got bullets on my02z. Still have the cats, and it’s a bit louder than stock. It has the drone, but my car is a dedicated track car so I don’t lug around under 2k rpm . Id still like I’d louder but I think it’s about as little of a muffler as you can get before a custom solution or straight pipes.

The B&B is louder than the borla (s-type) and the Corsa, but I’d do the corsa if it was a dual purpose street car
Old 02-14-2018, 01:22 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

The Corsa Extreme is loud under WOT, pretty quiet if you try to be. There is zero drone. Wondering what the Db limit is you have to stay under.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:19 AM
oharal
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts

For reference, I have the Corsa Xtreme on my car. Stock engine with long tubes, no cat X pipe and I've been measured at 104dB at 50' at an autocross at WOT. The 75mph highway cruising is just a low rumble, no drone. Very nice...though I do toy with the idea of swapping to the Corsa sport now and then..
Old 02-21-2018, 04:09 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

This is mine with the Borla straight pipes. I am deaf in one ear, but no problem:

Get notified of new replies

To C5Z louder exhaust options

Quick Reply: C5Z louder exhaust options