Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seats/Harnesses - Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 06:45 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
Ah, I appreciate the tip on the Crow's Foot wrenches. I have a couple sets here and will make sure I have the right size.

I wonder what fitment would be like for me (6ft 185lbs) in a slightly narrow EVO II vs an EVO II US. Although, I'd probably want a wider passenger seat. How difficult was the seat trimming?
FWIW I have an Evo II US in my car and it fit without trimming, but I also have no interior. The side of the seat is right touching the center console, but I didn't have to cut anything to make it fit.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:21 AM
dgnmr2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
I can't speak for the install on a C5, but on my C6Z I installed Sparco Ergo seats using Mark's (AMT Motorsports) seat mounts + sub belt. Nothing is ever a "breeze" when working on the interior of a Corvette, but I will say that Mark's mounts fit perfectly. I don't see how it could be physically possible for them to be any lower or fit any better. They are well made pieces. I used a crow foot to get to the bolts that decided to be difficult to access once the seat was in.

Do you have any photos of how you mounted the harness lap belts?
Old 02-24-2018, 07:55 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Ah, I appreciate the tip on the Crow's Foot wrenches. I have a couple sets here and will make sure I have the right size.

I wonder what fitment would be like for me (6ft 185lbs) in a slightly narrow EVO II vs an EVO II US. Although, I'd probably want a wider passenger seat. How difficult was the seat trimming?
Trimming is easy. An angle grinder with a cutoff wheel makes quick work out of anything.

I think the hardest part of making the seat choice is trying them. There are very few places you can try them out and compare. I'm 6'1" and 230 pounds. I've enjoyed a few more doughnuts and BBQ sandwiches than you. That said, I think the EVO II US is slightly to big for me. I'm still moving side to side some and using some energy to hold myself in place during higher G corners. I'm looking to buy the Sparco Circuit 2LF Halo seat which is a tighter fit in several dimensions by between 1 and 1.5".

You may want to look around the paddock at your next event and ask people to sit in their cars to try their seats out. My last event at VIR I walked to entire pit looking for a circuit seat but was unsuccessful. I have had 2 or 3 people ask to sit in my car to try the seats out for feel.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:05 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by dgnmr2

Do you have any photos of how you mounted the harness lap belts?
I don't have any handy but I will take some. I just used the eyebolts that Schroth sends you with the harness and then drilled/screwed them into the side of Mark's mount in an appropriate location. Worked fine.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:59 AM
jcarothers
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m 5’11” 190lbs. Evo II fits well enough. Pay attention to all the physical dimensions of the seats while you look. Some seats are wider in some places and narrower in others. And sizing changes a bit between manufacturers.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:23 PM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Do those bases mount to existing bolt holes for the sliders or something else?

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport

Old 02-24-2018, 05:37 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by D K
Do those bases mount to existing bolt holes for the sliders or something else?
​​​​​​
We include seat stud extenders so they mount into the stock seat location, but these cannot be used with sliders. These are fixed mount brackets.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:15 PM
D K
Pro

​​​​​​
but these cannot be used with sliders. These are fixed mount brackets.
I know that...

I was asking where they mounted to.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:20 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by D K
I know that...

I was asking where they mounted to.
Oh I'm sorry I misread what you wrote. Yes they mount to the four seat stud locations by way of included
adapters.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:58 PM
D K
Pro

Great

I'll probably be buying a set for my spec corvette.

Oh I'm sorry I misread what you wrote. Yes they mount to the four seat stud locations by way of included
adapters.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:57 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Ok, time to get moving on this project. I've set a tentative date of April 6th to have this done (including installing a radiator and oil cooler), so I can test it at an open track day before taking the car to Road America for a bit faster speeds. Ordering everything tonight, and here's what I'm after. Still not 100% sure on the harnesses. I'd like the FIA certification, but I'm not sure that's really needed. All of the FIA belts are also 6pt, where I'd prefer a 5pt instead. It just needs to be 2" for Hans compatibility and cam-lock and it would be great to have quick snap in hardware for the lap and sub belts.

Any final thoughts/recommendations? Also interested in where people may have found the best deals on these components. I appreciate all the help/comments in here, thanks guys.

Sparco EVO II US Seats
AMT Motorsport Brackets w/sub belt hardware
Brey Krause Harness Bar w/lap belt hardware
Sparco FIA Hans Pro 6pt camlock harnesses (???)

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 02-28-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:33 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Sparco EVO II US Seats
AMT Motorsport Brackets w/sub belt hardware
Brey Krause Harness Bar w/lap belt hardware
Sparco FIA Hans Pro 6pt camlock harnesses (???)
If you want to send me a PM with the exact Sparco harness you're looking for I can give you a package discount with harnesses and seat mounts. I'm a dealer for Sparco and use their 6 point harness in my own car.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:14 PM
'12GS
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
I can't speak for the install on a C5, but on my C6Z I installed Sparco Ergo seats using Mark's (AMT Motorsports) seat mounts + sub belt. Nothing is ever a "breeze" when working on the interior of a Corvette, but I will say that Mark's mounts fit perfectly. I don't see how it could be physically possible for them to be any lower or fit any better. They are well made pieces. I used a crow foot to get to the bolts that decided to be difficult to access once the seat was in.

How well does that Ergo fit in the C6? I am assuming that is the medium size? How much room to the door and to the window with the halo? I have been looking at picking one of them up but was told they don't fit in Corvettes.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:01 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by '12GS
How well does that Ergo fit in the C6? I am assuming that is the medium size? How much room to the door and to the window with the halo? I have been looking at picking one of them up but was told they don't fit in Corvettes.
Who told you they don't fit into Corvettes? It fits great in mine. It is tight, but then again most seats are. No issues. Did not have to trim anything. Basically dropped right in and Mark's mounts worked perfectly. Window/door has plenty of room. Yes this is the medium size.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:55 PM
98vettemann
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2 cents worth from over 10 yrs open road racing C5s and C6. BK harness bar excellent choice. I’d also look at Teamtech harness with integrated sternum and pelvic straps. I have Hardbar seat rails purchased years ago that has worked well in both C5 and C6. I use this with Sparco Evo seat. Takes around 30 or so minutes to swap out seats. Here’s pics of rails with two types attachments to floor bolts. You can attach both sub and lap belts to rails. I’m not using anymore as I have 93 ZR-1. I’d sell for cheap with all hardware for subs and lap belts if interested. I’d be more than happy to discuss further with you to help guide you through this process. Good luck! Scott

Old 03-10-2018, 10:02 PM
The_Backmarker
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 98vettemann
My 2 cents worth from over 10 yrs open road racing C5s and C6. BK harness bar excellent choice. I’d also look at Teamtech harness with integrated sternum and pelvic straps. I have Hardbar seat rails purchased years ago that has worked well in both C5 and C6. I use this with Sparco Evo seat. Takes around 30 or so minutes to swap out seats. Here’s pics of rails with two types attachments to floor bolts. You can attach both sub and lap belts to rails. I’m not using anymore as I have 93 ZR-1. I’d sell for cheap with all hardware for subs and lap belts if interested. I’d be more than happy to discuss further with you to help guide you through this process. Good luck! Scott
Looks similar to the AMT ones. Are those compatible with the Brey-Krause harness bar? Where do the sub straps attach?
Old 03-11-2018, 01:46 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the offer, but I've purchased everything I need for this project. Mark at AMT Motorsport has been a HUGE help. I've already received both of the Sparco seats and the Brey-Krause harness bar. I installed the harness bar today, just haven't torqued everything down yet. Just waiting on the AMT seat brackets and Sparco harnesses.

A couple quick notes on the seats. Mixed feelings at the moment about going with different width seats. I'm hoping once they are in the car, the differences between the two visually aren't as dramatic. It's a track car (though still street driven at the moment too), but it still bugs me for now. Also, the narrower version of the seat seems to be lower quality somehow. The plastic around the belt holes is loose and the Sparco logo isn't straight. There is also a dramatic difference in the height of the holes and the spacing. I'm curious how this will affect belt placement. The seats are comfortable, and I can't tell a whole lot of difference sitting in either one as far as width is concerned.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 03-11-2018 at 03:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
The_Backmarker (03-11-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Seats/Harnesses - Advice

Old 03-11-2018, 02:33 PM
The_Backmarker
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for sharing, Quickshift. I'm planning on doing something similar to my C5Z. B-K harness bar, Schroth 6-pt harness, Sparco seat. I might go with the Marrad mounts with locking sliders since mine will be a street/track car. Pax seat will be stock.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:33 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by The_Backmarker
Thanks for sharing, Quickshift. I'm planning on doing something similar to my C5Z. B-K harness bar, Schroth 6-pt harness, Sparco seat. I might go with the Marrad mounts with locking sliders since mine will be a street/track car. Pax seat will be stock.
The harness bar is a great choice. The quality is fantastic and it has a really nice crinkle finish that looks great in person. It's super easy to install. I bet it took 15min tops.
The_Backmarker (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 07:47 PM
98vettemann
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Backmarker
Looks similar to the AMT ones. Are those compatible with the Brey-Krause harness bar? Where do the sub straps attach?
yes to BK. Subs mount to holes at base of sides.
The_Backmarker (03-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Seats/Harnesses - Advice