Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seats/Harnesses - Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 12:18 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5

So currently, I'm stuck. Also, I have yet to see how anybody who has ever replied in any seat thread, actually show how their lap belts are mounted or explain how they did it, I'd love some info on that to see what others are doing. It's possible I may be able to get the seat in by trimming, but I'm leaving that as a last resort.
I think most people drill holes through the floor to mount the eye bolts where desired. Just be sure to reinforce the floor/holes with a steel cross brace to spread the loads.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:39 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
I think most people drill holes through the floor to mount the eye bolts where desired. Just be sure to reinforce the floor/holes with a steel cross brace to spread the loads.
For the EVO II US seat? I sure hope not.

I've just been trying to get it to fit as is, but I have pulled the carpet padding out. I can now get the seat in, but because the front left corner is against the trans tunnel and pushing it out...it's putting pressure against the mounting studs and twists the back end of the seat closer to the trans tunnel which makes it impossible to fit the eye bolt for the harness clip point. I took a real close look at it last night, and how the seat was aligning to the studs...

I've been trying to do it without trimming the front trans tunnel side of the seat, and I think it's down to that. I see no way to fit that seat in the car without trimming it and with full interior. Everything else has been tried. I believe it will then sit more square so the back end isn't kicked toward the trans tunnel, then I can at least get the eye bolt to fit. At that point, I think I just need different harnesses to get the adjusters off the seat opening.

Seems like I've made too big a deal about getting this seat in the car without trimming it, and should have just done that in the first place.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:42 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,047 Posts

For the EVO II US seat? I sure hope not.

I've just been trying to get it to fit as is, but I have pulled the carpet padding out. I can now get the seat in, but because the front left corner is against the trans tunnel and pushing it out...it's putting pressure against the mounting studs and twists the back end of the seat closer to the trans tunnel which makes it impossible to fit the eye bolt for the harness clip point. I took a real close look at it last night, and how the seat was aligning to the studs...

I've been trying to do it without trimming the front trans tunnel side of the seat, and I think it's down to that. I see no way to fit that seat in the car without trimming it and with full interior. Everything else has been tried. I believe it will then sit more square so the back end isn't kicked toward the trans tunnel, then I can at least get the eye bolt to fit. At that point, I think I just need different harnesses to get the adjusters off the seat opening.

Seems like I've made too big a deal about getting this seat in the car without trimming it, and should have just done that in the first place.
You posted a pic implying the eye-bolts that you'll mount your lap belts to were interfering with the install of the seat. If that's the case, mount the eye-bolts to the floor and you'll have the room that's needed.

If the eye-bolts are not causing the interference issue, then disregard the suggestion and trim the seat
Old 03-21-2018, 09:26 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
You posted a pic implying the eye-bolts that you'll mount your lap belts to were interfering with the install of the seat. If that's the case, mount the eye-bolts to the floor and you'll have the room that's needed.

If the eye-bolts are not causing the interference issue, then disregard the suggestion and trim the seat
Have to trim the seat either way. It kicks the back end right up against the trans tunnel, so you can't mount an eye bolt on the side of the bracket or on the floor. MIGHT be able to do something like the Vetteworks belt bracket that attaches to the seat studs and has eye bolts behind the seat...but then there's the whole issue of the belts being at the right angle and likely rubbing on the seat bracket. I'm thinking the seat bracket eye bolt is good enough and will meet the "beside the seat" requirement if I can just get the seat in the car with it bolted in. The only issue left at that point is the adjusters hitting the seat opening, which means I need different harnesses.

What blows my mind, is that there is just about zero information on any of this anywhere. I'm curious what everyone is doing with these lap belts? Nobody actually says how they mount them or posts a photo. The SFI standards are pretty clear. I'm guessing most people are just tossing in harnesses, finding a mounting point that the belts will simply attach to and going, ehhhh good enough! This is my first time doing anything like this, so I'm learning as I go. Each time I have an idea, I think about it a bit more and realize it's still not the "right way" to do it.

For those following this thread and have any interest, the SFI requirements for lap belts are:
  • -45 to -80 degrees from horizontal
  • Clear passage through opening without binding on edges of seat openings with a direct path to the mounting point
  • Webbing should not ride against any hardware
  • Lap belt adjusters need to be 2" below belt opening when belt is tightened
  • Belts to the opening should be as short as possible mounted beside the seat and never behind the seat
  • Lap belt should be allowed to pivot freely at mounting point
  • Webbing should be allowed to pull on hardware in plane (straight).
SFI Foundation Seatbelt Installation Guide

So, using the eye bolt location I made on the seat bracket, the eye bolt is even with the back edge of the seat. Is this close enough to beside the seat that it'll count? The belt runs at a -50 degree angle from that location. The belt wouldn't rub on any hardware, and would have a direct plane through the opening and around the rider when tightened. Does anyone see anything wrong with that photo and the requirements if I swap out the belts?

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 03-21-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:17 PM
jlaw1313@comcast.net
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 04-05-2018, 01:26 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Guys, I am going back to stocks seats and have a harness bar, 2 low seat mounts, and a subbelt mount that I'll be selling very soon.

The Subbelt and 2 low seat mounts were never even installed and are brand new. The harness bar came with my car and was in there because it was a show car, decoration essentially.

I have a pair of Sparco bottom mount seats with leather coatings that I'll be selling as well.

Frankly I don't know what any of it's worth but I'd like to get around 60% of MSRP plus shipping (or pick up in Austin, TX) so if anyone is interested contact me please.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:14 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Anyone that's installed seat brackets with a completely flat base and the larger stud adapters: What are you using to shim up the seat studs so that the bracket has something to bolt down onto? I stacked washers, but I'm not terribly satisfied with doing that. Is there a spacer you guys are purchasing yet still have enough thread engagement on the OEM stud with the larger stud adapter?

The floor pan on the C5Z is not even, and a lot of the mounts I see have legs that dip down to meet the stud seating area. Otherwise, the floor pan dips down there and also raises in the center. This presents an issue with totally flat base brackets...
Old 04-17-2018, 12:30 PM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Anyone that's installed seat brackets with a completely flat base and the larger stud adapters: What are you using to shim up the seat studs so that the bracket has something to bolt down onto? I stacked washers, but I'm not terribly satisfied with doing that. Is there a spacer you guys are purchasing yet still have enough thread engagement on the OEM stud with the larger stud adapter?

The floor pan on the C5Z is not even, and a lot of the mounts I see have legs that dip down to meet the stud seating area. Otherwise, the floor pan dips down there and also raises in the center. This presents an issue with totally flat base brackets...
My adapters have really large heads that sit on the floor (under the insulation/sound deadening), then the flat brackets sit on the bottom of those heads. They're big enough that the flat mount is compressing down on the carpet, but that's about it. It was really simple.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:07 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Project is pretty much done. Just need to trim the interior panel you can see missing to clear the seat bracket.

A couple things I want to do differently, but everything is setup right now to be safe and at the correct angles. The other changes can be made over time. One frustrating part is that I have a regular EVO and an EVO US. The EVO US seat holes are lower for some darn reason, plus the seat was too low for the harnesses to be at the right angle. I had to raise the passenger seat and the shoulder belts work perfectly for me (6ft), but I wonder about head room for taller passengers and I'm going to have to grab a short friend to see how the belt angles go. I may need to do something else with the harness bar if I want short and tall people to ride safely in the car, we'll see.

Thank you to all the forum members that helped me out. Also a very big THANKS!! to Mark of AMT Motorsport. I tend to ask a lot of questions and send a lot of emails, and he was always there and always willing to help. A lot of companies out there could take some lessons in customer service from him. About 3/4 the way through the project I just decided to leave the poor guy alone and figure it out on my own. There was no simple answer to this and everything had to be modified.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 05-14-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:22 AM
jlaw1313@comcast.net
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=Quickshift_C5;1597194017]Project is pretty much done. Just need to trim the interior panel you can see missing to clear the seat bracket.

A couple things I want to do differently, but everything is setup right now to be safe and at the correct angles. The other changes can be made over time. One frustrating part is that I have a regular EVO and an EVO US. The EVO US seat holes are lower for some darn reason, plus the seat was too low for the harnesses to be at the right angle. I had to raise the passenger seat and the shoulder belts work perfectly for me (6ft), but I wonder about head room for taller passengers and I'm going to have to grab a short friend to see how the belt angles go. I may need to do something else with the harness bar if I want short and tall people to ride safely in the car, we'll see.

How were the lap belts mounted? Eye bolt to the original location of the belt retractor and inboard eye bolt to the seat rail? What did you use for the sub belt mount?
Old 05-15-2018, 09:25 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=jlaw1313@comcast.net;1597201754]
Project is pretty much done. Just need to trim the interior panel you can see missing to clear the seat bracket.

How were the lap belts mounted? Eye bolt to the original location of the belt retractor and inboard eye bolt to the seat rail? What did you use for the sub belt mount?
Outer lap belts: Used Schroth Racing 23b kit that has basically an extension bar you can bolt down and twist and bend up to 90* to get it at the proper angle when the belts are pulled tight. That is mounted to the frame at the lower belt retractor position with the OEM bolt. I wanted to use an eye bolt, but I've been to the hardware store a number of times to try and find what the size/thread pitch of the bolt is with no luck. I've also asked in Facebook groups and on this forum...and nobody knows or cares to respond. I would prefer an eye bolt, so if anyone knows something that will work, please let me know. Mounting it to the seat bracket makes the belt rub on the seat hardware, which I refuse to let happen and not suppose to happen...per SFI.

Inboard lap belts: Attached using the same bracket to the AMT seat bracket. I couldn't fit an eye bolt since it was smashed so hard against the trans tunnel. Only that Scroth Racing bracket would fit. I would prefer an eye bolt here, but it simply will NOT fit even with 1/2 - 3/4" of the front corner of the seat cut off. I was thinking about drilling through the floor and making mounts, but there's no room for it.

Sub belts: The AMT brackets came with a sub belt bracket has several spots you can bolt it down to get the right distance and they are the correct 4" apart. This was the simplest part.

If you're looking to do this, be careful about which harnesses you choose. I had to send my first set back because the adjusters impacted the seat opening and there was no way to get around it with the belts mounted to the seat bracket. A lot of harnesses are fixed and can't be adjusted. I ended up with the Schroth Flexi 2x2 which solved every problem I had with the harnesses. Sparco is also releasing a set with the adjusters mounted inboard next to the cam lock. I think Mark at AMT said they may be getting those soon, and they would be a great option.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 05-15-2018 at 09:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jlaw1313@comcast.net (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 01:38 PM
'12GS
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

[QUOTE=Quickshift_C5;1597202389]
Originally Posted by jlaw1313@comcast.net

Outer lap belts: Used Schroth Racing 23b kit that has basically an extension bar you can bolt down and twist and bend up to 90* to get it at the proper angle when the belts are pulled tight. That is mounted to the frame at the lower belt retractor position with the OEM bolt. I wanted to use an eye bolt, but I've been to the hardware store a number of times to try and find what the size/thread pitch of the bolt is with no luck. I've also asked in Facebook groups and on this forum...and nobody knows or cares to respond. I would prefer an eye bolt, so if anyone knows something that will work, please let me know. Mounting it to the seat bracket makes the belt rub on the seat hardware, which I refuse to let happen and not suppose to happen...per SFI.

Inboard lap belts: Attached using the same bracket to the AMT seat bracket. I couldn't fit an eye bolt since it was smashed so hard against the trans tunnel. Only that Scroth Racing bracket would fit. I would prefer an eye bolt here, but it simply will NOT fit even with 1/2 - 3/4" of the front corner of the seat cut off. I was thinking about drilling through the floor and making mounts, but there's no room for it.

Sub belts: The AMT brackets came with a sub belt bracket has several spots you can bolt it down to get the right distance and they are the correct 4" apart. This was the simplest part.

If you're looking to do this, be careful about which harnesses you choose. I had to send my first set back because the adjusters impacted the seat opening and there was no way to get around it with the belts mounted to the seat bracket. A lot of harnesses are fixed and can't be adjusted. I ended up with the Schroth Flexi 2x2 which solved every problem I had with the harnesses. Sparco is also releasing a set with the adjusters mounted inboard next to the cam lock. I think Mark at AMT said they may be getting those soon, and they would be a great option.
My Sparco eye bolts (made by Schroth iirc) are a 9/16"-18 thread. I went to an Ace Hardware and just tried all of the sizes until I found what fit.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:42 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by '12GS

My Sparco eye bolts (made by Schroth iirc) are a 9/16"-18 thread. I went to an Ace Hardware and just tried all of the sizes until I found what fit.
You used that eye bolt successfully in the frame where the lower belt adjuster was mounted? The 7/16 eye bolt that came with my Schroth harnesses will thread, but it's just barely too small so it slips when you attempt to put any real torque on it when it bottoms out. I bought a 1/2-13 course bolt thinking it was that (previous Vettes used that for belt mounting), but it would even begin to thread, it was too big. I can't see a 9/16 working there. Schroth hardware is usually 7/16-20, are you sure it isn't that?

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 05-15-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:56 PM
'12GS
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

You used that eye bolt successfully in the frame where the lower belt adjuster was mounted? The 7/16 eye bolt that came with my Schroth harnesses will thread, but it's just barely too small so it slips when you attempt to put any real torque on it when it bottoms out. I bought a 1/2-13 course bolt thinking it was that (previous Vettes used that for belt mounting), but it would even begin to thread, it was too big. I can't see a 9/16 working there. Schroth hardware is usually 7/16-20, are you sure it isn't that?
Sorry, I misread your post. I didn't realize you were trying to bolt into the frame. I would be willing to bet that would be an M12 bolt of some thread pitch though, as much of the C5-C7 hardware is metric.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:10 AM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
Once I get my car back from the tuner I'm going to do a seat install video using our mount and a new Sparco QRT-R seat. My cage design makes my car I think the hardest possible situation for installing a seat and I've done it a few times now. I've got some tips and tricks to make the process less painful.

Sorry if I missed this somewhere but did you ever get the new qrt-r seats? Hoping someone can weight them before installing they claim 9.9lbs. These would actual be going in an a featherweight Toyota 86 build. Any other review about it would be sweet as well. Thanks
Old 05-30-2018, 10:23 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperTom
Sorry if I missed this somewhere but did you ever get the new qrt-r seats? Hoping someone can weight them before installing they claim 9.9lbs. These would actual be going in an a featherweight Toyota 86 build. Any other review about it would be sweet as well. Thanks
They keep pushing back the ship date. They're saying middle of June now. I'm first in line to get one so as soon as I get it I'll post up with all the info.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:32 AM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
They keep pushing back the ship date. They're saying middle of June now. I'm first in line to get one so as soon as I get it I'll post up with all the info.
Thanks I saw somewhere starting to ship end of May so nobody must have them yet. Must be a huge demand for such a lightweight FIA certified seat at that price. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Seats/Harnesses - Advice