Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seats/Harnesses - Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 09:47 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Seats/Harnesses - Advice

I've been researching this for the past few months before getting ready to pull the trigger, but now I've reached that point. It's time to order. I'm looking to purchase seats, brackets, harness bar, and harnesses. The only thing I'm not entirely sure on are the harnesses, mostly which brand and the hardware for all attachment points. I know I'd like cam-lock and 5pt, but beyond that...not sure. Looking for advice on easier seat installation (mostly getting positioning close to correct the first time), and proper harness install. Any links or advice toward mounting the harnesses correctly and at correct angles for my height (6ft) would be appreciated. I'll see what I can find out in the mean time.

Thanks guys!

Here is the hardware I'm going to purchase soon:
1. Sparco EVO II seats
2. Marrad Aluminum Seat Rails
3. Brey-Krause Harness Bar
4. 5pt cam-lock harnesses
5. Harness installation hardware

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 02-21-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:08 AM
oharal
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts

For harnesses there are many choices. I have the Schroth ASM harnesses and that's all I've ever had but I really like them. If you plan to use a Hans you don't need the ASM feature. Otherwise, you do. I don't suggest using another type of harness without a Hans. You can however use the ASM harness with a Hans. If you do plan to use a Hans, consider getting 2" belts (the ones I have are 3") or belts that narrow over the shoulder to 2". You can use the 3" with Hans but you have to be careful and they can be tricky to keep in the right position over your shoulder. For mounting, you need the Brey Krause lap belt mount kit or something similar. Install is straight forward and give you a strong hook to clip your lap belts to. For the sub belt, you need an eye bolt in your seat bracket or a bar to wrap around. If you use an eyebolt, you MUST ensure the belt pulls in the same plane as the ring itself, and is MUCH better to pull in line with the bolt axis itself. As far as install, it should be fairly simple to get the angles right. I'm 6' 4" and with my BK harness bar and lap belt kit, it's all good.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:29 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Fantastic, thanks oharal. I'm leaving myself open to adding a Hans in the future, which is one of the reasons I chose the Sparco EVO II seats. Thanks for the advice, since that will absolutely play into which harnesses are purchased.

Another question that popped up. A lot of Sparco/Marrad installations in the C5 seem to either use the Marrad base with their seat rails, or they just mount the seat rails direct to the floor. From what I've gathered, the base is designed to fit both C5 and C6, but it's not really needed in a c5? The C6 apparently has wiring in the back that the base is designed to clear.

This guy mounted the seat rails straight to the floor, which is what I intend to do if the seat height is good enough.
Sparco Evo II / Marrad Seat Rail Install

When mounting the seats, what are you guys doing with the lateral accelerometer under the passenger side carpet? I thought about mounting it to the bracketry somehow, but not sure if it needs to be 100% perfectly level or if there is particular way to mount it. Worst case, I'll just pull the steering position sensor and force it obsolete.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 02-21-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:55 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5

Another question that popped up. A lot of Sparco/Marrad installations in the C5 seem to either use the Marrad base with their seat rails, or they just mount the seat rails direct to the floor. From what I've gathered, the base is designed to fit both C5 and C6, but it's not really needed in a c5? The C6 apparently has wiring in the back that the base is designed to clear.

This guy mounted the seat rails straight to the floor, which is what I intend to do if the seat height is good enough.
Sparco Evo II / Marrad Seat Rail Install
I also mounted the rails directly to the floor in my C5. The things that look like internally and externally bolts thread onto the studs in the floor, and raise the rails to level with the carpet.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:00 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mattastick
I also mounted the rails directly to the floor in my C5. The things that look like internally and externally bolts thread onto the studs in the floor, and raise the rails to level with the carpet.
I'l go this way as well. What was the seat positioning like for you, and how tall are you? Did you install a passenger seat/bracket too? If so, what did you do with the accelerometer on the floor?
Old 02-21-2018, 03:42 PM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

I'l go this way as well. What was the seat positioning like for you, and how tall are you? Did you install a passenger seat/bracket too? If so, what did you do with the accelerometer on the floor?
Stock passenger seat. I just put the Sparco on my side.

I'm 5'10", the seat is all the way on the floor (you can't slide anything front to back under the seat), and tilted back as much as possible. It works great with the Pro 2000 that I have, since it doesn't have a lot of recline to the bucket. Be prepared for test fitting. Leave everything somewhat loose, pick a hole combo, put the seat in, sit in it, get out, try another set of holes, repeat till you find something that's comfortable. There's a big gap behind my seat, since I like to sit close to the wheel, but it's relatively comfortable, even on a 12 hour drive from Lincoln, NE to Detroit area Michigan.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:00 PM
jcarothers
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Sparco Evo II on AMT rails with Schroth Profi II 6-point harness in my car. The fitment of the seat to the transmission tunnel is very tight. Tight enough to where I trimmed the seat a slight bit on the inside front lower corner. I had the seat and harness left over from my prior S2000. If I had to do it again I would (and probably still will) buy the same harness over again, but with the 2-inch straps as the 3-inch straps sit in toward my neck more with the harness bar (a Sharkbar, I believe. I bought it used) than in my last car that had a full roll bar.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:08 PM
duk007
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jcarothers
I have the Sparco Evo II on AMT rails with Schroth Profi II 6-point harness in my car. The fitment of the seat to the transmission tunnel is very tight. Tight enough to where I trimmed the seat a slight bit on the inside front lower corner. I had the seat and harness left over from my prior S2000. If I had to do it again I would (and probably still will) buy the same harness over again, but with the 2-inch straps as the 3-inch straps sit in toward my neck more with the harness bar (a Sharkbar, I believe. I bought it used) than in my last car that had a full roll bar.
I had the same issue with my install. I pulled the carpet padding instead of trimming the seat. It’s a tight fit, but it will go.

I also had a Evo 2 US which is wider than a regular evo 2 . It was installed on sparco side mounts attached to Marrad seat bracket. The Marrad bracket is low, but I’d like another 1” if I could get it. The AMT bracket would be perfect.

Team tech harnesses.
The following users liked this post:
Mark@AMT Motorsport (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 07:18 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by duk007
I had the same issue with my install. I pulled the carpet padding instead of trimming the seat. It’s a tight fit, but it will go.

I also had a Evo 2 US which is wider than a regular evo 2 . It was installed on sparco side mounts attached to Marrad seat bracket. The Marrad bracket is low, but I’d like another 1” if I could get it. The AMT bracket would be perfect.

Team tech harnesses.
If lowness is what you seek then you can’t get any lower than our mounts. Our integrated and movable subbelt bar means the subbelt eyebolts won’t require you to raise the seat at all, as you would with many subbelt solutions. Our captured hex side brackets make the installation a whole lot less tedious. And our fully machined interfaces make it the strongest and most solid mount you can buy. Basically I think our mount is pretty awesome, but I’m biased. Lemme know if I can answer any questions.

Last edited by Mark@AMT Motorsport; 02-22-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:37 PM
jcarothers
Advanced

Originally Posted by duk007

Team tech harnesses.

The Evo II and Evo II US are the same width at the very front edge of the seat. It makes fitment very tight, especially if you keep the factory seat belt intact. The AMT mount is a very nice piece otherwise, its just the Sparcos tend to be a bit thick at the seat edges.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:56 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Since you have done your research you must know that racing seats really shouldn’t be used with Stock seat belts, and harnesses shouldn’t be used without a HANS...with the possible exception being one of the Scroths.

Best of luck on your journey.

Charley
Old 02-23-2018, 06:42 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I agree with the comments of all those above me. On your list of items to order you are missing a mount for the sub belts. I used the vetteworks mounts when I did this install with the same seat. I used seat mounts from MTI, only because Mark and AMT wasn't selling his yet. Marks solution looks fantastic and couples two parts I had to buy into one part. I bought a camber kit from him and he was incredibly helpful, you can't go wrong purchasing from him. Like all the others said, I had to cut the tunnel side of my seat to get it to fit into the spot and face straight centered to the wheel. I peeled back the cover and hit it with the cutoff wheel until it fit in with the carpet in place. You didn't mention how tall you are, I'm 6'1" and had to mount the seat as close to the floor as possible. I was able to do this and still have a finger or twos worth of space between my helmet and the headliner with my helmet on. I was also able to do this without laying the seat to far back because I like being up on the wheel when driving. My challenge was I couldn't keep the stock 3pt belts. I was not even close to having enough room for the belt reel that mounts down by the door sill. Its a big unit and there just wasn't room for my low mounted seat and that reel. My car is a track car and rarely street driven. So the few times a year I drive on the street, I am relying only on 6pt belts which are not DOT approved and have questionable legality depending on the office that pulls you over.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:23 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Thanks Dan, seems the install is a bit more complex than I thought. It's odd how many people cover their install processes and somehow never mention the details you covered.

I'm 6ft, 185lbs with an athletic build. HANS is definitely in the plans, as well as the sub belt hardware.

Seems like I'll need to think about the brackets a bit more. Sure would be good to use the stock belts too for now driving to the track. Hmm...
Old 02-23-2018, 10:29 AM
jcarothers
Advanced

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Since you have done your research you must know that racing seats really shouldn’t be used with Stock seat belts, and harnesses shouldn’t be used without a HANS...with the possible exception being one of the Scroths.

Best of luck on your journey.

Charley
my car is primarily an autox car that does a few track days a year. The setup isn’t ideal, but I’m not running a hans for autox and I’m not wearing a harness for the street.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:42 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Thanks Dan, seems the install is a bit more complex than I thought. It's odd how many people cover their install processes and somehow never mention the details you covered.

I'm 6ft, 185lbs with an athletic build. HANS is definitely in the plans, as well as the sub belt hardware.

Seems like I'll need to think about the brackets a bit more. Sure would be good to use the stock belts too for now driving to the track. Hmm...
Happy to help, let me know if you need any pics. I'd encourage you to think about where you intend to be with this in 5 years. I say that because I'm now looking at removing the Evo seat and replacing it with a Halo seat. Could have saved myself $900 if I just did that to begin with......

Also, I took a while to do the install, was a winter project for me. there was several installs and removals to check the fit and getting it positioned where you want it. Definitely more involved than a 2 beer job.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:49 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H.

Also, I took a while to do the install, was a winter project for me. there was several installs and removals to check the fit and getting it positioned where you want it. Definitely more involved than a 2 beer job.
Once I get my car back from the tuner I'm going to do a seat install video using our mount and a new Sparco QRT-R seat. My cage design makes my car I think the hardest possible situation for installing a seat and I've done it a few times now. I've got some tips and tricks to make the process less painful.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mark@AMT Motorsport:
Schectermarc (02-23-2018), The_Backmarker (03-04-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 05:43 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

For those of you that had issues with the seat fitting in the car and had to do custom trimming...which Sparco Evo II did you use? I know there are several version, such as an EVO II, EVO II US, and another wider version. I was hoping the regular EVO II would fit, since I believe I'd fit in that OK.

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
Once I get my car back from the tuner I'm going to do a seat install video using our mount and a new Sparco QRT-R seat. My cage design makes my car I think the hardest possible situation for installing a seat and I've done it a few times now. I've got some tips and tricks to make the process less painful.
That would be fantastic. I'm actually leaning toward the AMT hardware now from what others have been saying here. An install video would be appreciated!

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 02-23-2018 at 05:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Seats/Harnesses - Advice

Old 02-23-2018, 07:54 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

I can't speak for the install on a C5, but on my C6Z I installed Sparco Ergo seats using Mark's (AMT Motorsports) seat mounts + sub belt. Nothing is ever a "breeze" when working on the interior of a Corvette, but I will say that Mark's mounts fit perfectly. I don't see how it could be physically possible for them to be any lower or fit any better. They are well made pieces. I used a crow foot to get to the bolts that decided to be difficult to access once the seat was in.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:07 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Mordeth
I can't speak for the install on a C5, but on my C6Z I installed Sparco Ergo seats using Mark's (AMT Motorsports) seat mounts + sub belt. Nothing is ever a "breeze" when working on the interior of a Corvette, but I will say that Mark's mounts fit perfectly. I don't see how it could be physically possible for them to be any lower or fit any better. They are well made pieces. I used a crow foot to get to the bolts that decided to be difficult to access once the seat was in.

Evo II US here
And crows foot wrenches are a must, I agree!
Old 02-23-2018, 11:26 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Ah, I appreciate the tip on the Crow's Foot wrenches. I have a couple sets here and will make sure I have the right size.

I wonder what fitment would be like for me (6ft 185lbs) in a slightly narrow EVO II vs an EVO II US. Although, I'd probably want a wider passenger seat. How difficult was the seat trimming?

Quick Reply: Seats/Harnesses - Advice