Notices
Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering rack leak at wires

Old 02-25-2018, 07:34 PM
fatbillybob
CF Senior Member

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Steering rack leak at wires

FWIW there does not seem to be an elegant solution to steering rack leaks at the wires that enter the steering box. These leaks can fool you into thinking the pump is leaking because the pump is directly over the wire bundle. The pump vs. wire bundle leak is easy to diagnose by putting a clean paper towel under the pump. Wet towel is the pump. Dry towel is the wire bundle.

Even Turn1 has no solution for this leak. They have a disclaimer on their website about it.

Here is the solution I have used 3 times under race conditions and it has worked 3 times. I blast out the wire bundle where it exits the rack with brake cleaner. I blast compressed air in there to dry it. I repeat this process. I inject 5min clear epoxy into the bundle where the wires exit as deep as I can with a needle without damage to the wires. After the 5mins I inject more 5min epoxy around the wire bundle as it exits and on to the body of the clean metal of the steering box. The key is getting area clean so epoxy can stick and seal before the oil oozes out hence 5min epoxy.

Well I hope that helps someone.

If someone has a better way please let us know!
The following 4 users liked this post by fatbillybob:
63Corvette (03-12-2018), DunlevysZ (02-27-2018), hanseng1 (10-28-2018), Joshboody (02-26-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 09:16 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I follow the same procedure but I use high temp RTV. I thought epoxy would get brittle and crack but sounds like it works well. Good to know.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:07 PM
PaConehead
CF Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the post! Were all three of your fixes to the same rack? Just wondering how long this repair lasts.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:16 PM
fatbillybob
CF Senior Member

No different racks all c5 vettes. My problem with rtv was it did not dry fast enough. But I guess rtv would be good for a slow leak. The key is the glue drying before the surface gets oiled again from when you clean it.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:20 PM
Joshboody
CF Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the post, Iím gonna try this. Whatís the exact epoxy you use?
Old 02-26-2018, 12:15 AM
fatbillybob
CF Senior Member

Old 02-26-2018, 12:18 AM
fatbillybob
CF Senior Member

Made by jb weld

I used a yellow ebay mixing tip to reach the wires from under the car with rack installed.

any 5min will do.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:01 AM
Joshboody
CF Senior Member

Thanks! May try loctite instant mix which comes with a long tip.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:53 PM
hisvett
CF Senior Member

Received 205 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Had the same problem years ago with my '01 coupe; pulled the rack out to work on it, used JB Weld and High Temp Silicone to fix (after a good cleaning). Sold the car two years later and fix was still holding. Good luck
Old 03-10-2018, 02:54 PM
demon340
CF Senior Member

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

What causes this? Heat, rpm, both... I haven't tracked my car yet but I had to replace the hi psi hose on my c6 and while I had it apart I added a 4 pass trans cooler in front of the radiator, added a magnafine filter on the return and flush and filled with redline fluid.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:45 PM
TmillerC5
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I just had this problem on my C5 and a buddy has it on his C6. Mine was a pretty slow leak. His was a little more severe. My friend Joel at Corvette Sports said he has seen it on a few cars and there is no real fix. He thinks some could be cause more for cars that get tracked from running on the rumbles at the corners. He said even if you put a whole new rack in it's a crap shoot that it wont happen to it too. He suggested I try Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. I totally brake cleaned the area, then I emptied the reservoir and filled it with the Lucas. Went out to and empty parking lot and did about twenty minutes of figure 8's cranking the wheel full left and full right. Came back and parked in the garage for a week. No leak. So I repeated the process again just for good measure. Still no leak as of today. I did this over month ago. Now I don't drive my car a whole lot on the street. It's more a track car but it does see some street time. My C6 buddy said his has slowed down considerably. Has not totally stop it but way better than before. I may try to add the RTV or epoxy when it warms up around here but for now it seems to have stopped it.
Just my .02
Tim

Last edited by TmillerC5; 03-11-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:38 AM
69autoXr
CF Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

Bumping this back up, I'm dealing with a leak at the wires on a recently installed rebuilt rack from Corvette Central (Lonestar). I've added the Lucas PS Stop Leak, now looking to try to seal the area around the wires.

Question for the OP: Is this the mixing tip you used? And you were able to get in there without pulling anything apart?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dental-Mixi...frcectupt=true
Old 05-06-2019, 11:08 AM
69autoXr
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post

Thanks! May try loctite instant mix which comes with a long tip.
Did you end up trying this and did it work? Menard's near me has this in stock, may run over at lunch.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2019, 11:25 AM
Joshboody
CF Senior Member

I did, but turned out was leaking from cap thingy I think and replaced rack. I can see it working well though.
The following users liked this post:
69autoXr (05-10-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 03:15 PM
69autoXr
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
I did, but turned out was leaking from cap thingy I think and replaced rack. I can see it working well though.
Thanks. picked up epoxy at lunch, hopefully the tube is long enough that I can inject it into the wire pocket without too much trouble.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:54 PM
fatbillybob
CF Senior Member

Yes those are the tips I used that happen to fit the epoxy tube. Anything will work. It is just hard to reach in there if you don't take things apart. I was lazy. Even a new rebuild rack can leak there. If I replace a rack I always epoxy the wires before install because now I can reach them. There are not new GM racks only rebuilds. in fact there are no rebuilds without exchanges too. I think Zip has a big core charge like $400 bucks!
69autoXr (05-10-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 12:52 AM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
No different racks all c5 vettes. My problem with rtv was it did not dry fast enough. But I guess rtv would be good for a slow leak. The key is the glue drying before the surface gets oiled again from when you clean it.
Don't take my advice on the RTV. My rack started leaking again.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:01 AM
69autoXr
CF Senior Member

No luck, still leaking.

Fatbillybob - did you have any issues getting core refunds with racks you epoxied?
Old 05-09-2019, 04:58 PM
fatbillybob
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 69autoXr View Post
No luck, still leaking.

Fatbillybob - did you have any issues getting core refunds with racks you epoxied?
I have only sent in 1 that I epoxied. No one cared or noticed and I did not even think to volunteer. If I was receiving a rebuilt rack the 1st thing I would do is clean and epoxy the wires bundle while I got clean good access on the bench. It is a really difficult to clean the area and epoxy in situ but it can be done. I have done it.
69autoXr (05-10-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering rack leak at wires

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: