Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "Will This Seat Fit In My Car?" thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 09:38 PM
DudeWithAVette
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't unpacked the AMT ultra low seat mount so I'll have to check for the extenders. I did pay extra for the sub belt mount so I should be covered there.

Thanks for the prompt response.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:41 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Glad I could help. I was probably the inspiration for Mark to start this thread. I bought 2 of his mounts and put Racetech 4119w seats in a C7. It was a tight fit and I think everybody thought they wouldn't fit. I managed to get them in and the AMT mounts worked great.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:31 PM
C6C3Vettes
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Meant to send PM

Last edited by C6C3Vettes; 12-12-2018 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Meant to send PM
Old 12-28-2018, 12:07 AM
jlaw1313@comcast.net
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.sfifoundation.com/wp-con...2006-05-12.pdf

Great thread, thank you. I think the next step would be to focus on proper install of the restraint system. This is where I struggled the most. Please view the SFI guidelines for restraint system install. Maybe a new thread is required.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:20 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I swapped in a new seat this year so I thought I would add it to the list.
Heres mine
Generation, Year, and Model: 2002 C5 Z06
Driver Seat: OMP HTE-R 400
Driver Mount: MTI
Driver Sub Belt: Vetteworks
Passenger Seat: Sparco Evo II US
Passenger Mount: MTI
Passenger Sub Belt: Vetteworks
Harness Bar or Cage: Brey Krause Harness Bar
Interior?: Full Interior
Carpet?: Not anymore
Stock Belts in car?: No, the bottom reel by the door sill does not fit with the MTI rail and the seat mounted as low as possible
Driver: 6'1" 230# dad bod, need to get my *** on an elliptical.
Notes/Pics: Notes specific to the OMP seat. I had to remove the butt cushion to sit low enough in the car. With the cushion and head liner, my helmet was touching. This seat holds me in place much better than the sparco I had previously. I move zero side to side now. The seat is much higher on the thigh. It is also more open in the shoulders, I felt like the sparco pinched my shoulders in. My challenge is that when I take a sharp left turn (VIR turn 4) my hand hits my leg. I have the large stock wheel and the seat doesn't allow your leg to move. Guessing I'll need a slightly smaller wheel in the future.

Comparison notes: OMP seat works! It holds me in place really well and I like the safety aspect of the halo. It sucks to get in and out of the car, like sucks bad! The sparco is a nice seat, i just found myself sweating from still having to hold myself in place. I've also watched enough crash videos to feel like it was time for the halo upgrade.

Hope this helps someone!
Dan
Old 12-31-2018, 11:13 AM
98vettemann
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any experience with a ZR-1 C4? Recommendations on seat mount, racing seats, etc?

thanks! scott
Old 01-03-2019, 05:33 PM
Torque Obsessed
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts

Generation, Year, and Model: 2000 C5 FRC
Driver Seat: Sparco R100
Driver Mount: Sparco C5 seat base, part number 600SB198L + Sparco universal slider set, part number SPA00493
Driver Sub Belt: I modified the seat to create a pass-through. It was super easy to do.
Passenger Seat: OEM
Passenger Mount: OEM
Passenger Sub Belt: OEM
Harness Bar or Cage: BK harness bar
Interior?: Full, although I did remove the trim over the lower seatbelt retractor. Might be able to reinstall this, but I haven't tried.
Carpet?: Yes
Stock Belts in car?: Yes, and usable
Driver: 5'-11" 185 pounds, 36" waist. The seat fits me perfectly. It's super comfy, and would still be fine if I was heavier. Driving position is perfect for me on the street, but I had to modify the seat base to lower it 1/2" so that I could fit comfortably wearing a helmet.
Notes/Pics: Total cost for everything (seat, base, sliders): $560. Prior to this, I had a Sparco Evo II in the car, and before that Corbeau A4. Details and pics for all of these seats are in my R100 seat review thread.

Link to my review thread: Sparco R100 Seat in my FRC

With 6pt belts installed:

Prior to installing the 6pt belts:

Last edited by Torque Obsessed; 04-22-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:38 PM
archfarseer
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Generation, Year, and Model: 2018 C7 Grand Sport
Driver Seat: Recaro Profi SPG XL
Driver Mount: Custom fab
Driver Sub Belt: Yes
Passenger Seat: Stock
Passenger Mount: Stock
Passenger Sub Belt: No
Harness Bar or Cage: BK harness bar
Interior?: Full
Stock Belts in car?: Yes, w/ BK stock belt mount
Driver: 6'0", 38" waist
Notes/Pics: Thanks to Mark at AMT for all the guidance

The following 2 users liked this post by archfarseer:
bryandangertaylor (10-02-2022), Shootnjunky (02-07-2021)
Old 01-05-2019, 02:32 PM
Fast Eddie I
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm piggy-backing the earlier comment by .archfarseer. regarding the help by Mark at AMT.

I recently worked with Mark to secure a seat that met and fit both my car and budget needs. With Mark's assistance, I ended with a Sparco Evo II US with MTI Racing rails to install into a 2007 Z06. My intent was to purchase a seat that would fit without removal of any interior pieces. During the negotiation and final dealing, several twists occurred that could have jeopardized the final purchase. Mark did his best to meet me half-way to assure my satisfaction. Overall timeliness was satisfactory despite our dealings occurring during the Holidays.

Located in the NE, I look forward to warmer temps to allow for its installation. I'll post more observations then. I'm 5'11", weigh about 185 with a 36" waist. The seat fits me perfectly with all cushions in place.

Thanks again, Mark, for your patience and helpfulness.

Fast Eddie I
Old 01-05-2019, 07:31 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

You can't beat Mark. When I installed my seats I was the first one to put these Racetech seats in a C7. They supposedly wouldn't fit. I replaced both seats and managed to make it work with the AMT mounts. I had to use 2 left side mounts on the right seat and 2 right side mounts on the left seat, or something like that. Since I already had mounts for both seats it worked out fine. When I called Mark about it he offered to do anything he could to get it working. Once I got them installed he started this thread .
Old 02-10-2019, 02:34 PM
MR Turco
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Generation, Year, and Model: 2003 C5Z
Driver Seat: Sparco QRT-R
Driver Mount: AMT
Driver Sub Belt: AMT Cross Bar
Passenger Seat: Sparco QRT-R
Passenger Mount: AMT
Passenger Sub Belt: AMT Cross Bar
Harness Bar or Cage: Autopower
Interior?: Yes, Full
Carpet?: Yes, Full

Stock Belts in car?: No
Driver: 250lbs, 5'11 38" waist
Notes/Pics:
Driver's seat isn't in yet but I did mock it up, waiting on AMT to restock brackets. I did passenger first so I could knock the sensor relocation out. AMT brackets came pre drilled and tapped for the sensor but you do need to source screws at the local HW store.

Seats are tight but fit, no complaints there. these brackets are works of art, very impressed and worth the money.

Both seats in!

Last edited by MR Turco; 02-18-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:56 PM
c5golfguy
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '10

Generation, Year, and Model: 2000 C5 FRC
Driver Seat: Ultra Shield 18" Rally Sport
Driver Sub Belt: AMT
Passenger Seat: Stock for now
Passenger Mount: Will be AMT
Passenger Sub Belt: Will be AMT
Harness Bar or Cage: Brey Krause Harness Bar with I/O Port backing plate/brace mounted to back of UltraShield.
Carpet?: Full carpet in place. No beating of the firewall or anything was required. Plug and play for me.
Stock Belts in car?: Yes but not being used.
Driver: 5'9" 40" waist.
Notes/Pics: I'll come back and add some pics later or if anyone needs help feel free to PM me. I installed a MOMO wheel with NRG hub adapters to make it easier to get in and out of the seat. Marks assistance and time in helping me sort thru a few challenges was paramount. His customer service is the best in the biz. Yes, you can fit an 18" seat into a c5 going this route. I had to mount the AMT brackets on the outside but it worked out perfectly. Grassroots Motorsports has a great video on this exact thing regarding their c5Z project car.

Last edited by c5golfguy; 03-12-2019 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:09 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,163 Likes on 5,988 Posts

Generation, Year, and Model: 2014 C7 Stingray
Driver Seat: Ultra Shield 16" Pro Road Race - Custom fit - 2" taller - Standard shoulder width
Driver Sub Belt: AMT - Using AMT's rails, not the sub belt adapter as it wouldn't fit as low as I have my seat.
Harness Bar or Cage: Brey Krause Harness Bar with I/O Port backing plate/brace mounted to back of UltraShield.
Interior?: Full Interior up front, left rear interior out after installing BK bar for weight reduction and easy of service; plus exhaust is louder!
Carpet?: Trimmed driver side carpet under seat due to C7 floor pan lip/edge along center tunnel.
Stock Belts in car?: Yes but not being used.
Driver: 6' 3" 260lbs
Notes/Pics: Ended up modifying the C7's center wiring harness sheath to allow the seat rails to sit on the floor. Had to take care to get seat adapter stack height just right to be even with floor.

The following 3 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
badhabit_wb (03-21-2019), c5golfguy (03-14-2019), Shootnjunky (02-07-2021)
Old 03-21-2019, 02:28 PM
JLZ06TR
Instructor

Saving this setup. Same height and waist as me lol.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:30 PM
JLZ06TR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Octagon8
Generation, Year, and Model: C5 Zo6
Driver Seat: Sparco Alpha
Driver Mount: AMT Ultralow Seat Mount
Driver Sub Belt: AMT Ultralow Seat Mount
Passenger Seat: Stock
Passenger Mount:
Passenger Sub Belt:
Harness Bar or Cage: Brey Kraus
Stock Belts in car?: Yes
Driver: 5'10" 40" waist
Notes/Pics:Pics to come and some minor changes to lap belt mounting and factory buckle.

I mounted the Sparco Alpha after getting the AMT seat mount. The install went smoothly with the AMt mounts proving plenty of adjustment for fore and aft with the main holes and slot on the floor rails as well as minor adjustment using the holes in the brackets. It also allows for adjusting rake/angle. The seat mount and hardware were top notch and super high quality fit and finish. The seat is supposed to be the new replacement for the Evo II US which I tried ordering through several companies and had a friend contact multiple distributors without success for one. The dimensions are very similar to the Evo II US in every area but it has a fraction smaller base and wider shoulder wings. It touches the center trans tunnel on the front edge and along the side until the lap belt area. In a non Zo6 it may be even tighter. The shoulder support wings are close to the door panel but not touching.

I used mounts that the previous owner used to mount the lap belt. It is 2 brackets that mount to the rear seat studs and then uses a locking chain link/carabiner like mount to mount lap belt ends to the link. I plan on mounting the lap belt ends directly to the seat rails as this should be a simpler,less complicated and stringer mounting method. It also won't rattle and frees up the rear mount studs making it easier to install the rear nuts.

So far I am very happy with the seat for fit,support and comfort but need more time to give a full endorsement. I am very happy with the AMT seat mount and the service I had with AMT and with US Race Gear where I bought the seat.

I forgot to mention I used a new GForce 5 point cam lock harness.
saved for future reference.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:42 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Thanks for posting this. I needed a neat way to mount the seat backing plate and the I/O port option is great. Just ordered 2.
The following users liked this post:
Racerbox77 (04-23-2020)
Old 03-21-2019, 05:33 PM
Rexracer77
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

No love for the C4 guys? I know a Corbeau Forza WIDE wont fit....

Get notified of new replies

To The "Will This Seat Fit In My Car?" thread

Old 03-21-2019, 09:50 PM
Mr.Fizoust
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Look into the Sparco QRT R.
Fits in small cars.
I have one in my c5 waiting on brackets. fits me and the car just fine.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:24 AM
anth115
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Harness Bar & Seat Rails

Gents, I see many of you are using the low profile style seat rails/mounting brackets by AMT, Marrad, MTI, etc.

Are any of you using this with a harness bar (Brey Krause, Sharkbar, etc.)? I have the BK bar and I worry that if I use a low profile mount I will have shoulder belts angled upwards (from seat towards harness bar) rather than 0-20* downwards. My seats alone are 890mm high so I don’t think the problem is there.

Please let me know how you’ve avoided this, or if you’re just accepting the upward angle.

Thanks
Anthony
Old 03-26-2019, 12:27 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,163 Likes on 5,988 Posts

Originally Posted by anth115
Gents, I see many of you are using the low profile style seat rails/mounting brackets by AMT, Marrad, MTI, etc.

Are any of you using this with a harness bar (Brey Krause, Sharkbar, etc.)? I have the BK bar and I worry that if I use a low profile mount I will have shoulder belts angled upwards (from seat towards harness bar) rather than 0-20* downwards. My seats alone are 890mm high so I don’t think the problem is there.

Please let me know how you’ve avoided this, or if you’re just accepting the upward angle.

Thanks
Anthony
Depends on the generation and your seat. My custom fit Ultrashield 2" taller with seat on floor has harnesses perfectly level 0°. Sharkbar in a C7 is super low. I would fit seat first then do harness bar accordingly.

Quick Reply: The "Will This Seat Fit In My Car?" thread