Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

under-hood heat management

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 04:38 PM
0JCGcustoms
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default under-hood heat management

As we know, when it comes to making power, friction, and heat in particular, is the last thing you want creeping around your engine bay. There are quite a few options available to keep your engine temperatures in check. Ceramic coatings, heat shielding, and header wraps are all viable options, but exhaust wraps in particular offer unparalleled ease of use, as well as practicality.

In addition to reductions in engine temps, one could expect to see a small but measurable increase in power as exhaust gases escape the chamber more quickly. Turbocharged vehicles, in particular, can expect to see a reduction in turbo lag, allowing power to come in sooner.

Naturally, decreased engine temps equate to lower intake temps and an increase in air density. Through trial and error, over the years, we have learned that sensitive components like electrical connections, brake lines, and fuel lines are better served by proactive management, and as an added bonus, those who enjoy working on their own vehicles will notice wrapped headers are much more forgiving when touched.

When choosing which product works best for your particular application, there are a few things to take into consideration. First, all materials are not created equally. Fiberglass, silica based, and lava rock wraps will have different characteristics that may affect how it is applied, susceptibility to fatigue, and limitations of use.

Here, at JCG Restoration and Customs, we use fiberglass based wraps for our naturally aspirated builds requiring additional heat management. When working with turbocharged vehicles that will see higher exhaust gas temperatures, the thicker lava rock based wraps may prove to be more beneficial as some are rated up to 2500 degrees fahrenheit.

Ultimately, the best decision you can make is to refer to your exhaust manufacturer's recommendation to ensure you are taking the necessary precautions while not subjecting your parts to undue stress in the process.

Want to take things a step further? We offer thermal shielding and components that will ensure you are taking full advantage of the efficiency your engine has to offer.

If you need a hand getting this done, enquire at ryan@jcgcustoms.com We offer direct fit components as well as custom options. Name:  mkEtPLN.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  75.3 KB

Name:  8RGhxm3.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  123.8 KB

Name:  og6rRiw.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  95.7 KB

Name:  z1wk05e.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  97.4 KB

Ryan Nolan
JCG Engineering Engineering, Inc.
JCG Restoration & Customs, Inc.
www.jcgrestorationandcustoms.com
805-794-6580
@jcg_restoration
Old 03-20-2018, 05:24 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

That's a pretty cool name. Texas Rangers fan here!

Free bump
Old 03-23-2018, 01:20 PM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

How much is that oil filter heat shield?
Old 03-24-2018, 03:17 PM
0JCGcustoms
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by D K
How much is that oil filter heat shield?
We may end up producing a batch in the near future. I'll check on that and let you know.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:14 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

I'm liking that oil filter shield.

Not yet available?

Well, I have some thin stainless sheet metal here, I may just bend one up myself for my pickup truck. Two layers of stainless with a small air gap between would keep most of the heat away from the filter. Or maybe just one layer with some stick on foil/foam insulation
Old 03-24-2018, 08:09 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm also interested in that oil filter shield...
Old 03-25-2018, 11:39 AM
micjester
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
I'm also interested in that oil filter shield...
Same
Old 03-25-2018, 11:27 PM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Wrap voids header warranty, I ended up with ceramic coating headers and insulating wires etc, like oil filter heat blocker!
Old 03-26-2018, 11:03 AM
0JCGcustoms
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tw78911sc
Wrap voids header warranty, I ended up with ceramic coating headers and insulating wires etc, like oil filter heat blocker!
Solid point. In our write up, I made mention to always check with the manufacturer for recommendations.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:00 PM
0JCGcustoms
Former Vendor

We are currently discussing options and will be offering a preorder sale, shortly. Fitment will be exclusive to the bat-wing oil pan, however. We are currently sourcing an oil pan for some R&D and will most likely have some additional options with regards to remote fitment and accessories. If this is something that you may be interested in, please PM me and let us know what you would like to see. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:12 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

just tackled my first wrap job last week. DEI Titanium wraped my lower headers and x pipe.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:08 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by JCGcustoms
Solid point. In our write up, I made mention to always check with the manufacturer for recommendations.
I too agree that the header wrap is very helpful and I've never had a header or exhaust pipe fail due to wrapping it. The added benefit of working on a hot car and not getting burned is a plus.

Air gaps, air gaps and more air gaps is what helps protect components from heat damage. Love the filter heat shield....looking forward to it hitting the market.

Get notified of new replies

To under-hood heat management

Quick Reply: under-hood heat management