Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Requirements for Solo II'ing a "Vette Kart"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 12:29 PM
GoGators!
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
Not trying to debate the merits of doing this, or your skill in building one but just wanted to drop this link in here. Hopefully this trend of building sketch-*** "exo" cars slows down and people think about the risks involved.

http://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/...ier/1134560955
agree. but have you looked at his social media post from the build? had absolutely no idea on basic cage design and triagulation. used chain link fence tube. cannot weld. etc. Potentially, he wasnt even buckled.

That being said, i dont know that i would survive the same impact he took in my '68 C3 or the kart....
Old 04-27-2018, 07:13 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

^Agree^. Just LOOK at that "cage". Yikes.

Not trying to debate the merits of doing this, or your skill in building one but just wanted to drop this link in here. Hopefully this trend of building sketch-*** "exo" cars slows down and people think about the risks involved.

http://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/...ier/1134560955
Yes....yes....it's virtual suicide to pilot a car with no SMC panels on it. Excellent point. I wonder though...how do people manage to make it down the road, alive, in Jeeps with the doors off?? With your totally unhelpful post, you quite literally are: "trying to debate the merits of doing this"

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 04-27-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:21 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by GoGators!
Tom440CFI, i am the builder/owner/driver of the LS1-KART, the thread previoulsy mentioned from GRM.

WRT classing for SCCA solo, i submitted to the SEB for allowance to run in EM, which is really where vette-karts should be classed. they (naturally) rejected that notion. So.. i run AM, and figure F*** PAX. I am still a long ways from refining mine, but hope to run towards the top of the raw time list each event.

WRT the cage build. its the first i have ever done. i drive the kart on the street MUCH more than i do on autocross. i drive it to work frequently and i drive ~50 miles round trip to our primary autocross location. on the street i have no desire to wear a helmet. i also have no desire to have my skull come in contact with the 1.75" DOM tubing in an otherwise minor colllision. hence the flared out design. i think it looks odder in picture than person. but its my skull and my cage so.... whatev!

There is a pretty active FB group, vette hacks, that has ~10 guys with active builds.
Originally Posted by GoGators!
Hey, thanks a LOT for posting....for the vids and for the info! Our local group wants to put me in AM too...and that is fine with me. I don't care if I'm competitive or not; I'm STRICTLY looking for fun here. I've auto-x'ed for over 20 years and never really GAF about points, ranking, PAX, etc. All I care about is a fun time, doing the best that I can do, and having and "experience".

You're vids look wicked. The car looks ferocious. I love it! I'm trying to find a person to help me build my cage right now. I can weld just fine...but I don't have a pipe bender. Anyway, I'm currently talking with a guy who builds pro cages for NHRA cars, so we'll see how that pans out...then try to get it on the road, and to some events.

Did you reg your car as a 'Vette? Or as a "custom" car?
Old 04-28-2018, 12:03 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
^Agree^. Just LOOK at that "cage". Yikes.

Yes....yes....it's virtual suicide to pilot a car with no SMC panels on it. Excellent point. I wonder though...how do people manage to make it down the road, alive, in Jeeps with the doors off?? With your totally unhelpful post, you quite literally are: "trying to debate the merits of doing this"

Doors on a Jeep are in no way structural....the one photo of the car you posted has zero support between the A-pillar, B-pillar and rear. So while I wasn’t trying to debate your decision, I certainly hope you think twice before driving that on a public street, if that is even a possibility. Then again, you do you sir. Your life, your choice.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:32 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Let's examine this a little bit, shall we?

First, here is my original question, and title of the thread:

"Requirements for Solo II'ing a "Vette Kart"?
...That being said, here is my question; What needs to be done to make it "legal" to run solo II? Does it NEED a cage? It will have one...but damn, I'd live to give 'er a rip as it sits and then see the progression going forward...
."

...so you're answering or addressing this question....how?

Doors on a Jeep are in no way structural
And this has what to do with...what?? If the doors are removed, they're not there...so what's it matter if they're structural or not?? And regarding "structural doors" what cars' doors ARE "structural" (HINT: none)

....the one photo of the car you posted has zero support between the A-pillar, B-pillar and rear.
All of the same structure is in place in my Kart ('89 C4), as the stock C4 had when it left the factory, with the exception of the roof, which is removable at will. The car is as structurally sound as it was when new...and as structurally sound as the stock '92 'Vette that I currently drive in B Street at every event. So...."Zero support"??

So while I wasn’t trying to debate your decision, I certainly hope you think twice before driving that on a public street
I think twice before I engage in all activities. PART of that "thinking twice" was seeking input from those who know SCCA rules better than I do, who could assist me in my goals. Are you assisting me in my goals? It sure doesn't seem like it. Ya post an irrelevant link to some dumbass that ruined a Honda, doesn't know how to weld, make a roll cage, or drive...then project that same risk to a C4 'Vette that's had the SMC removed?? That is quite misguided.

Your life, your choice.
Smartest, and best contribution that you've made to this thread, yet.

EDIT: That car in your avatar...that your car? My Kart's frame, as you see it in the pics is twice as stiff, more crashworthy and stronger than that car you're driving. So..you know...Hopefully this trend of driving antique, outdated cars slows down and people think about the risks involved. Know what I mean, 'pard? Just to be clear, this point was made to make a point; that you're being an alarmist. In reality, I completely support your driving of an older/classic car, regardless of the cars' safety. I believe that you'll take the responsibility to drive it accordingly...just like I do when I drive (oh, the HORROR)....this:

...which I drive as much as I get the chance to....even on public roads!

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 04-28-2018 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:47 PM
GoGators!
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey, thanks a LOT for posting....for the vids and for the info! Our local group wants to put me in AM too...and that is fine with me. I don't care if I'm competitive or not; I'm STRICTLY looking for fun here. I've auto-x'ed for over 20 years and never really GAF about points, ranking, PAX, etc. All I care about is a fun time, doing the best that I can do, and having and "experience".

You're vids look wicked. The car looks ferocious. I love it! I'm trying to find a person to help me build my cage right now. I can weld just fine...but I don't have a pipe bender. Anyway, I'm currently talking with a guy who builds pro cages for NHRA cars, so we'll see how that pans out...then try to get it on the road, and to some events.

Did you reg your car as a 'Vette? Or as a "custom" car?
Yea, no problem. drop me a PM if you want my email or other contact info.

It is a handful for sure. 500+ hp on a square set of 315s, at ~2500lbs. = good times. it will spin the tires any time you want, sometimes you don't want, in second gear, which makes for fun autocross cornering!!

I used NASA and SCCA cage specs as a guideline. anyone who can get cages qualified for NHRA should be capable of this fairly easy task (no body constraints to deal with!) I ended up buying speedways tube bender for ~$400. had a buddy do the tig welding after I mig tacked it.

mine has a rebuilt title. it was totalled when I bought it at auction. its registered as a rebuilt 98 corvette convertible. which, if you squint real hard, it is.
The following users liked this post:
Tom400CFI (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 08:22 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Thanks again, for the great post. Yes PM sent as I do have some more questions for you about the Kart.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:45 AM
64Scout
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Sigh....

I strongly suggest you use some reading comprhension. It helps. Ba-leeve me.

It was an older pic. To give a rough idea. I think anyone with a few brain waves knows that a bungee'd battery and seat belts dangling isn't going to pass tech.

I was more interested in the chances of it passing tech w/no cage, but perhaps the roof bolted back on...or whatever. 4 point belts and no cage are keeping me out at this point though (from post # 7).

HERE is where the battery is mounted TODAY...and the belts are bolted to the frame of the car, at the rear of the car.

I was going to comment on what looked like a bungee holding the battery in, but you have taken care of that. I went over the rules quite a bit when I was wanting to auto my Fiero, which had a relocated battery. The rules said it had to be secured in a marine box, which meant the mount and hold down I made wouldn't work. I sold that car before racing it, so I can't comment any more on my battery mount. When I etched my vet yesterday the inspector didn't seem to look at much, but on yours they may be pickier. Also, I hope there is a hold down that I don't see, and not a battery just sitting loose.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:16 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by 64Scout
I hope there is a hold down that I don't see, and not a battery just sitting loose.
Ha ha ha..nah...the battery is just sitting in there, floating around. Some times when I turn to the left, the battery slides to the right, and the positive terminal shorts agains the frame. It's pretty exciting and adds to the "amusement park ride" experience, with sparks flying and arcing going on. It's OK though, b/c you only turn left for a couple seconds before you're turning right and then the battery slides the other way and the arcing stops.

I'm kidding. I have a stock Chevy truck battery tray welded into the bottom of that battery frame. The battery is firmly secured to the OEM, GM styled tray/hold down. If that isn't sufficient (and I can't figure why it wouldn't be), then the marine battery box addition is good information that I was not aware of, so thank you for sharing that bit. It sounds like, from what you wrote, that if you move the battery from it's OEM location, that is what triggers the "marine battery box" requirement? Obviously, tons of people auto-x cars just fine using a standard GM battery hold-down.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:48 AM
64Scout
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

I've had batteries move around in old beater street cars, one bounced off the tray and fell into the fan. I didn't notice until I stopped and it wouldn't start back up. Turns out the negative battery cable got yanked out of the clamp, and the fan wore a hole in the end of the battery at the bottom, and the acid leaked out of that cell.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:24 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Sounds messy....and unpleasant to deal with.

Yep, a "mobile" battery could get ugly quickly...that is why I made sure that my hold down is bomber. Whether it will pass an SCCA rule or not is a different matter.

Quick Reply: Requirements for Solo II'ing a "Vette Kart"?