Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First track day, Buttonwillow Raceway an amazing experence

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 10:35 AM
carcrazysammy
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts
Default First track day, Buttonwillow Raceway an amazing experence

What an amazing experience.

4 weeks ago I found my ***** and signed up for Speed Ventures Buttonwillow track day. Things got off to a bad start from the beginning. Trying to be perpared I rented a U-haul trailer 2 days before the event so I could get a feel of the car on the trailer. The U-haul trailer had 1/2" clearence on either side. It took 45 miniutes to get the car on the damn thing. Since I was going solo not counting on someone there to help I decided to drive the car 250 miles to the track.

With a warm weather rain storm in the forecast I left the MPSS tires and wheels on the car. The Cup 2 tires I took off the car were what I was counting on using. Oh well, another time.

I wound up with a best lap time of 2:06 on my second day. There was lots of traffic and it was point passing only.

The car performed great. I saw a max oil temp of 262 with ambeient 75 degrees F. The MPSS tires started getting slick toward the end of each session. Not bad just something I noticed getting more confident. I wound up finishing first in every Sunday session. After running very low on gas I decided to skip the last session.

Not being a competitive person it was an amazing feeling.

I made the mistake setting the PDR start/finish in the pits so there are no lap times in the video.

Now I the search is on for a trailer. I will take any suggestions for something that can be towed with a 5000lb limit.

Sammy

I can't seem to imbed the youtube videos so here are the links for anyone interested. No commentary, just sloppy driving.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:41 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Congratulations, BUT..................................... ......
Get help, quick! It's addicting................and expensive! Trust me...
The following users liked this post:
jloZ06 (04-12-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 10:55 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Congrats. I was completely infected by my second track day.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:18 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Welcome to the addiction. Just remember; "The best way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a big one." - Junior Johnson.

One thing of note. In an HPDE there is no 1st place. Just go out there and have fun, be safe, and learn to go fast.
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 01:49 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Welcome to the club. It's very addicting.

Post up here when you go to track days and/or check the SoCal section. Several of us often run with Extreme Speed, Speed Ventures (like you have), as well as other clubs.

You'll find that a set of track day wheels/tires will be desirable as well as brake pads.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:20 PM
carcrazysammy
Racer

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. The wife is supporting me in this endeavor. I need to carefully pick and choose what to prioritize. A trailer is far off but consumables like brakes and tires are on my short list. Do you think a harness bar with 5 point seatbelts should be considered?

Sam
Old 04-11-2018, 10:48 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Awesome, congrats!! Like the others said, it's addicting...but feels rewarding as you progress.

I started my first track day several years ago in my supercharged C5Z with about 700hp. It was a two day event doing one on one with an instructor the whole time. The biggest thing I learned? Having a fast car doesn't make you a fast driver. Decided very quickly it wasn't a great way to learn, so I purchased a BRZ and flogged the crap out of that for a few years. I sold it to purchase a 2nd C5Z to build as a track car.

Good luck, have fun, and take it slow! As already mentioned, there's no first place in HPDE's. Best to learn as much as possible and finish shiny side up.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:31 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
Welcome to the addiction. Just remember; "The best way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a big one." - Junior Johnson.
Nope! specCorvette $20K all in including the car!!!! And you can drive it to the track. OMG! that's why SpecCorvette is growing like crazy. I think you will even see some at the Roar on the Shore at the LBGP this weekend.

Driving to a from track is a real pleasure. Do it for as long as you can. When you are ready for a dedicated trackcar then get the trailer but then you need something to tow with and a place for the trailer.

I can fit my open trailer in my garage with a custom removable tongue and racecar lives on the trailer so it all fits inside 1 space in a 3 car garage.

Once you go enclosed you start taking more stuff and the weight climbs and so the requirement for a bigger tow vehicle. Once you depart from an F150 or Tahoe and the open trailer you gotta go with an enclosed and diesel pick-up truck. Once you go diesel you ain't ever going back.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:20 AM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

You did great for your first day! Lines look pretty good. Your leaving a lot on the table by short shifting. Check out my PDR from BW this last Dec. The MPH gives you an idea of how much room you still have to play with.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:01 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Nope! specCorvette $20K all in including the car!!!! And you can drive it to the track. OMG! that's why SpecCorvette is growing like crazy. I think you will even see some at the Roar on the Shore at the LBGP this weekend.
SpecCorvette looks amazingly fun.

I would have to spend a small fortune to move out to Cali so I could participate (and sell my car for a C5). I am pretty jealous though. I wanted to do the Veloster/Hatch series that Jim Pierce started a couple of years ago but again, Texas to California is quite a distance.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:47 PM
Flash68
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carcrazysammy
I wound up finishing first in every Sunday session.
You, sir, won the track day your first time out!
Old 04-12-2018, 06:50 PM
bellwilliam
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

for now, towing might be tricky, especially with your imposed 5,000LB tow limit.

I assume you are in SOCAL ? as you ran with SV, and tracked at Buttonwillow for your first track day. This mean you have to travel through Grapevine, which is top 10 steepest mountain pass in the country. If you tow vehicle has a 5,000LB limit, you are cutting way way too close. In fact, most experienced racers here will tell you no bueno.

Vette is say 3,200LB, trailer is ~$1,200LB for aluminum ($$$) to 1,800LB for cheap steelie, open trailer. Add tool, fuel, spare wheels and tires, you are sure over 5,000LB.

For first year, I recommend driving to tracks. skip tow vehicles for now. It is a big investment in time and money once you go trailers. You also have to deal with 55MPH speed limit when towing in California.

as for safety. I do NOT recommend 5 pt (always go 6 pt) and/or harness bar (always go roll bar). Many will tell you that once you change 1 aspect of safety equipment (say roll bar or harness), you need to go full out. race seat, harness, roll bar, HANS.... all works in unison. It is hard to believe, but stock is pretty safe. changing just 1 or 2 safety components is the worst idea.

as for oil temp. faster you push the car, hotter it will get.

have fun and be safe...ask ton of questions....

when in doubt, go Spec Corvette !!
Old 04-12-2018, 06:56 PM
duk007
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
SpecCorvette looks amazingly fun.

I would have to spend a small fortune to move out to Cali so I could participate (and sell my car for a C5). I am pretty jealous though. I wanted to do the Veloster/Hatch series that Jim Pierce started a couple of years ago but again, Texas to California is quite a distance.
Lots of guys are building cars all over the country. I’m sure you will see them in Texas soon. Congrats on the addiction, I kicked mine for 15 years while building a family and business, took one trip to the track and I’m back in !

- Sean
PA Spec Corvette build
Car #072 85% done
Olitho (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 10:17 PM
carcrazysammy
Racer

Originally Posted by rb185afm
You did great for your first day! Lines look pretty good. Your leaving a lot on the table by short shifting. Check out my PDR from BW this last Dec. The MPH gives you an idea of how much room you still have to play with.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=176s&v=NxWYgdUGdmo
That is you? Small world. I was studying your video Saturday night in my hotel after the first day. You are a very talented driver. You are easily 10mph faster than me most of the time. Are you planning any future days at Buttonwillow?

Thanks for the encouragement.

I thought concentrating on the line more important than running at full RPM. Crawl before you walk so to speak.

Last edited by carcrazysammy; 04-12-2018 at 10:24 PM.
rb185afm (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 10:20 PM
carcrazysammy
Racer

Originally Posted by Flash68
You, sir, won the track day your first time out!
Wrong choice of words. I was hoping not to be in the bottom 50th percentile. It was a shock to find myself with fastest laps all day. Of course I know the car out classed almost everything else there but none the less I was very happy. Wanted to share it with the forum.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:14 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by carcrazysammy
That is you? Small world. I was studying your video Saturday night in my hotel after the first day. You are a very talented driver. You are easily 10mph faster than me most of the time. Are you planning any future days at Buttonwillow?

Thanks for the encouragement.

I thought concentrating on the line more important than running at full RPM. Crawl before you walk so to speak.
I love Buttonwillow. I will be back for sure. I always post up before I head out. Your welcome to ride along any time. If your free May 10/11, check out HOD at Thunderhill. Going to be lots of vets and a fun time!
Old 04-13-2018, 09:28 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,314 Likes on 990 Posts

I am going spec Corvette in 2019 fo sho! Can't wait.
Olitho (04-13-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To First track day, Buttonwillow Raceway an amazing experence

Quick Reply: First track day, Buttonwillow Raceway an amazing experence