Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Time Track Day Prep

Old 05-01-2018, 11:56 PM
ltdriser
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default First Time Track Day Prep

Hey Guys,
2nd post (Originally posted this in the wrong section go figure). I have had my car for about 2 years now and am finally going to track it. It's a 2005 M6 F55 with Vararam, OBX headers, Corsa exhaust and tune (I'm only guessing on the tune, because I don't have the annoying shift skip). I am pumped to say the least. I just wanted to cover a few of the basics and before I go spend a wad of cash on parts I thought I should console the experts.

In preparation for the track I plan on:

1: Changing the rear diff fluid
2: Flushing brake fluid to DOT4
3: Installing some performance pads
4: Adding a Qt of Oil before any runs

Am I forgetting anything else? Do I need a dedicated set of tires/wheels for the track? I plan on trailering the car to the track so should have plenty of space in the truck if I need to bring anything. Is there anything you guys suggest I bring with me to the track that you always see the first timer not having?
Old 05-02-2018, 08:25 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

You will get tons of responses and advice. I will only address one point: brake pads. I've been coaching for years and see most first day students show up to events with 'street' pads (either stock or high performance street pads). I'd say for about 80% of the students the street pads are fine and last thru a 2-day event. But the other 20% end up going home early because they burn thru their pads so badly. It depends a lot on the track (speed and braking zones) and the student (how quickly they learn, how aggressive they are). This past weekend it happened again - had a student in a C6Z with stock pads and new Nitto Invos (which are not an especially grippy tire) who was hitting such high speeds and braking so hard that he literally had about 3/32" of pad left by end of day one.

You indicate you are planning on 'performance pads'. Not sure what you mean by that but if you are an aggressive, competitive type person and eager to explore the limits of the car, you may want to consider getting true track pads - something like Hawk DTC70/60 (there are many other good track pad brands).

My 2 cents.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:40 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Get good brake fluid and pads: Wilwood race fluid, motul 600 or 660, castrol SRF, etc. I use amsoil for diff fluid and pretty much everything else. Search the ranger method on clutch fluid and bring extra fluids to the track. I'd throw some water wetter in the radiator as well.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:35 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,425 Likes on 2,792 Posts

Personally, I would flush with a decent fluid. I wouldn' go over the top with std or anything, I'd get fresh and inexpensive dot4. I use valvoline synthetic.

Pads... make sure you don't have ceramics. If you'e getting new pads, i would get duralast gt pads or stoptech streets.

I would also check your tires for age and type.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:26 AM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

What's your experience level? Are you running in novice?

Brake fluid flush
Good set of brake pads. Which ones are you planning to use?

Bring something to check your tire pressure. Longacre makes a good one that lets you let air out.

Bring a torque wrench and check lugs every 1 or 2 sessions.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:02 PM
ltdriser
Instructor

I will be running in a follow the leader group as I have not taken the track's racing course and don't have any scca, etc certs. So not really sure how aggressive they let you get in that type of set up. I will not have any instructor in the car. This is my first time in any type of road course situation. I have plenty of experience on a drag strip on motorcycle and car but none on a road course.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:12 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '15

OK, so new. You probably won't be pushing the car hard enough to worry about needing separate tires. Street tires are fine. Drop the tire pressure 3-4 lbs and keep an eye on the tire pressure while on track after 3 or 4 laps. My tires get 5-8lbs higher after they warm up. You might get a high tire pressure warning if you don't let some air out before you start.

Brake pads won't need to be too aggressive either. The Stoptech 309's / street performance work really good. I've used them before and they can handle a lot. They wear down quickly once you get faster, but for a novice they would be awesome..plus they're cheap!

Keep an eye on your oil and water temps. Turn on the heater if your water temps get hotter than you'd like to see them..but again I don't think you'll be pushing hard enough to really worry. Still, keep an eye on both.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:23 AM
had3nuf
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ltdriser If you still have the factory rubber brake lines that connect to the calipers, you will be better to replace them with SS lines, the rubber ones will expand under pressure with the heat causing your pedal to fade. I learned the hands on way in turn 5 Sebring.

this is my 05 a couple of years after my 1st track day. addicting
Old 05-28-2018, 08:45 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Wish I was back at that juncture again--I'd sell the street car immediately and buy a dedicated race car. I swear, it's cheaper in the long run, assuming the addiction bites...lol
Old 05-29-2018, 09:37 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by apex26
Wish I was back at that juncture again--I'd sell the street car immediately and buy a dedicated race car. I swear, it's cheaper in the long run, assuming the addiction bites...lol
You and me both! To the OP, have you been to the event, yet? If so, how did you like it?
Old 05-29-2018, 05:17 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Motul RBF 600 is on Amazon for $15 a bottle and Ken @ KNS Brakes hooked me up with some DBA T2's for rotors. Stoptech SS lines are good and affordable. Pad-wise find a middle of the road pad due to the fact that as you move up into higher groups they will suffice and be done by the time you need good track pads. Then go Carbotech 24's or Hawk DTC70's. Also, Hawk pads are harder on rotors. Do not grab auto parts store rotors with race pads. Also when you get more addicted to this sport, look into brake ducts that feed into the nose.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:26 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by argonaut
You will get tons of responses and advice. I will only address one point: brake pads. I've been coaching for years and see most first day students show up to events with 'street' pads (either stock or high performance street pads). I'd say for about 80% of the students the street pads are fine and last thru a 2-day event. But the other 20% end up going home early because they burn thru their pads so badly. It depends a lot on the track (speed and braking zones) and the student (how quickly they learn, how aggressive they are). This past weekend it happened again - had a student in a C6Z with stock pads and new Nitto Invos (which are not an especially grippy tire) who was hitting such high speeds and braking so hard that he literally had about 3/32" of pad left by end of day one.

You indicate you are planning on 'performance pads'. Not sure what you mean by that but if you are an aggressive, competitive type person and eager to explore the limits of the car, you may want to consider getting true track pads - something like Hawk DTC70/60 (there are many other good track pad brands).

My 2 cents.
Well.................yes, I agree............sorta.
Brake PADS should be matched to your TIRES, NOT "necessarily" to the driver skills (which can be adjusted at the track).
I instruct in a C5 Z06 with Stoptech BBK and street tires (Michelin PSS). I once used RACE pads (Cobalt XR2) with these tires and, while they worked, were so aggressive that they tended to lock the tires and get into ABS very early. When I soloed my student, the chief instructor, asked he about the pads, and then (after) called me aside and recommended that I return to "Hi Performance" street pads matched with hi performance street tires (NOTE: PSS tires ARE, and Nitto INVO are NOT!!!!!!)

PS Stoptech has for some unknown reason, renamed their popular Street Performance pad as the "SPORT" pad, with an upper temperature rating of 1300 degrees F. The SPORT pad is an excellent beginner track pad, as are many other (see Carbotech ADAM) pads made for this market. The new Street Performance pad is NOT a track pad.

Last edited by 63Corvette; 05-29-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:48 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Well.................yes, I agree............sorta.
Brake PADS should be matched to your TIRES, NOT "necessarily" to the driver skills (which can be adjusted at the track).
I instruct in a C5 Z06 with Stoptech BBK and street tires (Michelin PSS). I once used RACE pads (Cobalt XR2) with these tires and, while they worked, were so aggressive that they tended to lock the tires and get into ABS very early. When I soloed my student, the chief instructor, asked he about the pads, and then (after) called me aside and recommended that I return to "Hi Performance" street pads matched with hi performance street tires (NOTE: PSS tires ARE, and Nitto INVO are NOT!!!!!!)

PS Stoptech has for some unknown reason, renamed their popular Street Performance pad as the "SPORT" pad, with an upper temperature rating of 1300 degrees F. The SPORT pad is an excellent beginner track pad, as are many other (see Carbotech ADAM) pads made for this market. The new Street Performance pad is NOT a track pad.
This is true and now we will get into tires spinning on the wheels under hard braking and purchasing knurled wheels haha.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:08 PM
ltdriser
Instructor

I haven't went yet. I go June 8th at midohio. I'm super excited to say the least. I will be in a lead follow group primarily aimed for beginners looking to just get a taste of track experience. I ended up swapping brake fluid to a prestone DOT4. Trans and rear diff to Royal Purple. I went a little spend happy and purchased some OEM take offs for 500 bucks with some half worn Firestones as well to preserve my GY eagles. I also slapped on some stop tech 309s. Even if they aren't great for the track I'm pretty darned happy about their street performance!

Last edited by ltdriser; 05-29-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:04 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltdriser
I haven't went yet. I go June 8th at midohio. I'm super excited to say the least. I will be in a lead follow group primarily aimed for beginners looking to just get a taste of track experience. I ended up swapping brake fluid to a prestone DOT4. Trans and rear diff to Royal Purple. I went a little spend happy and purchased some OEM take offs for 500 bucks with some half worn Firestones as well to preserve my GY eagles. I also slapped on some stop tech 309s. Even if they aren't great for the track I'm pretty darned happy about their street performance!
Prestone will work for a bit, you also have to look into the temperature rating. It is not as high as Motul or Castrol SRF. You are good with what all you have though, no worries! Enjoy!
Old 05-29-2018, 09:21 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '15

At your experience level, I'd say the 309s are actually pretty great. Only thing you have to watch for is the wear. Once you really start braking hard and getting faster, they won't last too long (maybe 2-3 weekends)..but they will certainly do their job when you need them to.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:47 PM
ltdriser
Instructor

Well I did it! My car is in one piece and I've had a smile from ear to eat going on 24 hours now .The only real drawback to the day was the torrential downpour as soon as we hit the track. It didn't stop raining the entire time I was on the track. The only time it let up was after I trailered the car (makes sense right?). At any rate I have no clue how my car handles on the track on dry pavement but I can tell you wet is no walk in the park. All I can say is thank God for active handling. Subaru, golf, and type Rs we're eating the Corvette, Camaro, and BMWs. For as slow as we were going (maybe got 85 once) it was a blast. Can't way for a sunny day. I'll be there .
Old 06-09-2018, 08:41 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Seriously, Argonaut gave you the single most important advice, it's critical. In case you ignore it, remember to pump when the petal goes to the floor at the end of a straight.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:07 AM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Well I did it! My car is in one piece and I've had a smile from ear to eat going on 24 hours now .The only real drawback to the day was the torrential downpour as soon as we hit the track. It didn't stop raining the entire time I was on the track. The only time it let up was after I trailered the car (makes sense right?). At any rate I have no clue how my car handles on the track on dry pavement but I can tell you wet is no walk in the park. All I can say is thank God for active handling. Subaru, golf, and type Rs we're eating the Corvette, Camaro, and BMWs. For as slow as we were going (maybe got 85 once) it was a blast. Can't way for a sunny day. I'll be there .
The rain is the great equalizer but also a great teacher. Sunny days at the track are more fun, but a bad day at the track (barring an accident) is still better than a good day at the office.

Feff
The following users liked this post:
dclafleur (06-18-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To First Time Track Day Prep

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Time Track Day Prep