Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cooling judgement call C5 Z06

Old 05-11-2018, 10:30 PM
paul69camaro
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you already have the Ron Davis with the built in oil cooler I would use that before buying an external cooler. You can always add an external on top of that later if needed.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:21 AM
bellwilliam
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pocorojo
I'm looking for help here in Phoenix AZ. I have a 2001 Z06 with an LS2 punched out to 427 CI. It puts down 515 at the rear wheels, but the oil temps in regular driving here in Phoenix get to 240 degrees. I have a Ron Davis radiator but the engine builder didn't want to use the cooler in the radiator. The car has a Tiger Shark front and rear facia. The shop that built the car(for the previous owner) isn't in business anymore. Can anyone make recommendations for a shop in Phoenix that can install a remote filter and cooler setup for me. I'm 61, recovering from prostate cancer treatments and really can't do the work myself anymore. Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.....Thanks
why are you installing oil cooler ? 240F is cool.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:45 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bellwilliam

why are you installing oil cooler ? 240F is cool.
It's not HOT, but it's very warm for just average city driving. If he plans to race the car in any way, he's going to have big problems...
Old 05-14-2018, 10:35 PM
Spaggs
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

With the larger oil cooler, I'm running 260 degrees oil temps at Road Atlanta in September. I push the car as hard as will go. Rippie helped me with the plumbing and thermastat. Around town oil temps are around 200 degrees. I don't know why Rippie didn't adopt my idea. Maybe they think it's overkill.
Spaggs
Old 05-15-2018, 05:39 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

There are enough guys on here, and some fast guys, that have managed the heat that it HAS to be very manageable. Joe said my car is putting down 367HP on his dyno, and healthy. We agreed to remove the AC as well as install a stand alone oil cooler in series--he offered doing that in steps to save money, but I'm doing it all at once to nail it down once and for all. Not sure yet the size of the cooler, he wasn't sure yet--but I reiterated too much is just right, let's end this.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:34 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

On a previous track/street C5Z I mounted Mocal cooler to underside of steel bumper support directly behind screens on front fascia opening. This was a quick fix for PS fluid overheating on track in hot Texas summer. I'm sure it could benefit oil temps as well without obstructing air path to radiator.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:03 PM
bellwilliam
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

that's the biggest power steering cooler I've ever seen !!
Old 05-18-2018, 08:27 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bellwilliam
that's the biggest power steering cooler I've ever seen !!
I installed the largest cooler I thought would fit that area without interference in case at a later date it may be needed as a tranny cooler.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:27 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice job! Most vette owners are not aware that our power steering fluid needs this kind of attention--that is until they run their car at the track. Then it's obvious.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:31 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
I installed the largest cooler I thought would fit that area without interference in case at a later date it may be needed as a tranny cooler.
Interesting. Do you know which Setrab cooler that is or the dimensions? Maybe I'll take the 625 I got for oil cooling and use that for power steering and then buy the larger strab someone used in this thread for oil cooling.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:37 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
Interesting. Do you know which Setrab cooler that is or the dimensions? Maybe I'll take the 625 I got for oil cooling and use that for power steering and then buy the larger strab someone used in this thread for oil cooling.
On my last track car (1999 Mustang) the power steering fluid would over heat and expand too much, even at the lowest safe level on the dipstick. I ordered an oversized aluminum racing radiator for an automatic equipped car and ran the power steering fluid through the ATF cooling circuit. It worked great and the power steering fluid never boiled over again. In my opinion, it doesn't take a huge cooler to keep the power steering fluid in check.

The car was equipped with a Cobra oil to water intercooler for the engine oil.

Once the A/C condenser was removed, this setup kept coolant temps below 216 degrees on the hottest days at Thunderhill.

On my C5Z06 I too have a Setrab type oil cooler from Doug Rippie mounted right in front of the coolant radiator.....does not make sense and mounting it off to the side like shown above is the way to go IMO.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:12 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
Sorry but I don't recall the part number however it was a Mocal unit. The pictures below show the PS cooler and a Phadt oil cooler system mounted on my car, you can read the part number of oil cooler in picture for reference.

Through my experience on track I found heat exchangers perform best when they have their own circuit with unobstructed airflow.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:48 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by pocorojo
I'm looking for help here in Phoenix AZ. I have a 2001 Z06 with an LS2 punched out to 427 CI. It puts down 515 at the rear wheels, but the oil temps in regular driving here in Phoenix get to 240 degrees. I have a Ron Davis radiator but the engine builder didn't want to use the cooler in the radiator. The car has a Tiger Shark front and rear facia. The shop that built the car(for the previous owner) isn't in business anymore. Can anyone make recommendations for a shop in Phoenix that can install a remote filter and cooler setup for me. I'm 61, recovering from prostate cancer treatments and really can't do the work myself anymore. Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.....Thanks
Flatout Motorworx in Tempe run by Leroy Moore. Tell him Adrian sent you. He built my car. Water temps racing in Phoenix often struggle to get over 210 degrees and oil temps stay under 240. 602.Flatout is the phone number and website (https://602flatout.com)
Old 05-25-2018, 02:45 PM
rkdc5z06
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have
dewitts radiator with 160 T stat
Strab 625 oil cooler w/o T stat, so I cover up with paper on colder days.

I do not have hood vents but want them,

I did remove the A/C condenser and i never go above 275 for oil anymore and stay 210 for coolant.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:18 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Something I discovered, was I replaced my 160 stat, back to a 180, and overall temps stabilized at 210. Reason is (as explained to me) the coolant now stays in the radiator a bit longer, cooling more before going back into the motor. Back in the day (I'm old enough to say that) we use to remove the thermostat. we would still overheat because the system would heat soak to the point that there was no effect from the radiator in cooling.

But I can see that if running an oil cooler, keeping the oil temp down would reduce the work the coolant has to extract. So maybe a 160 stat is correct. I don't have an oil cooler.

Mark.

Last edited by Moto One; 05-31-2018 at 11:22 AM. Reason: added info/spell correct correction need.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cooling judgement call C5 Z06