Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advanced Group Challenges!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 12:59 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by duk007
This was the same day same group:

Some were really good:

Some were not:

https://youtu.be/lqeNM5mkKFo

The 911 hits its brakes mid turn in, down hill right turn off camber. I'm rolling into the throttle when he parks it right where he should be hitting the gas ( especially in a 911 !) He then points by but swerves towards me at the same time ( you can see my foot go to the brake where I'm normally flat on the floor by then). At the end he gets pissed and shoves his hand out the window several times in anger because I guess he expected me to pass in the grass?? You can hear my reaction on the video.

The car was quick, the driver was not. I’ve got 2 laps of footage where he babies the corners and drags all the straights. It was the third time he slammed on the brakes unexpectedly , gives a point by after I run up his a** then goes full throttle as I try to come around.

I want to be out there at speed with people who are doing the right things at the right places at the right times, and are comfortable with a pass in a corner or coming into one without having an attitude.
And that was clearly a driver that probably would have been better served being in one of the lower level run groups. Both for his own state of mind as well as for the safety of others sharing the track with him. That also brings up another important point that I like to make when instructing, no matter how fast you are going always maintain a margin for error as you never know what is going to happen. At track days I generally tend to drive around 80% which allows me some slack for when something unexpected occurs like my serpentine belt falling off mid-corner causing me to lose power steering (happened twice lol) or someone doing something bone headed in front of me. That also brings up imho one of the big issues with a lot of the track day events, the fact that people are allowed to self select the run group that they participate in (as someone else also mentioned). If you are new with an organization you really should have to go through a check ride the first session or something like that because you do unfortunately get the occasional "I have a super car with xyz HP so I should be in the "advanced group" with the other fast guys" person. They get on the track and then are a rolling road block and a menace to others. Kind of like this video lol:

Originally Posted by edge04
the thing that shocks me is that they allow short sleeves, jeans, no gloves,etc. in advanced group or worse, the fact that one wouldn't wear the proper gear.
Over here on the West Coast we have to deal with some really hot days. Groups normally require long pants and allow short sleeves. When it gets really hot they sometimes will ok shorts. If someone wants to wear a full fire suit it's up to them but having been out on the track when it was 108F plus I could not see wearing one. Typically I wear jeans with a t-shirt, driving shoes, gloves and HANS in my car which has a race seat with 6 point harness and fire suppression system. When super hot I too will swap the jeans for shorts.

Last edited by Werks; 05-08-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:27 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by edge04
the thing that shocks me is that they allow short sleeves, jeans, no gloves,etc. in advanced group or worse, the fact that one wouldn't wear the proper gear.
Unless it is W2W I have never seen a group require anything more than long pants, closed toe shoes, and a sleeved shirt of some kind.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:25 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

doesn't make it right. you sign a waiver which is why they don't have to legally require you to, but you should.

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
Unless it is W2W I have never seen a group require anything more than long pants, closed toe shoes, and a sleeved shirt of some kind.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:41 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by C7s
^^^ Yes understood. This was not so much complaining, just to make people aware of the differences in Advanced Run Group. I would have run in Intermediate but it was full. It is for sure more intense in Advanced and good for people to understand that.
In an HPDE all passes should be made off line with the car being passed staying on line. The pass should almost always be on the side that the next turn is going. If the next turn is a left hand turn the pass should be on the left and if it is a right hand turn it should be on the right.

Even as an intermediate level driver you should be working on entering a turn off line and getting back on line as you go through the turn. With a late off line corner entry you may need to brake harder and do an inside rim shot on the corner by holding the car for a longer apex before intersecting your normal line and exiting on it.

The other thing you should think about is it is discourteous to pass another car, pull in front of them and hit the brakes for a corner entry. The driver gave you a point by and then you pull in front of them and take away their braking zone because you want a perfect line into the corner. Doesn't make the driver of the car that was passed a happy camper. Unless there is a long distance before getting to the braking zone stay offline and enter the corner off line. Once you start doing that you will become a faster driver as you start to understand the corner and what you can do in the corner.

Once I have a novice student who has shown evidence of knowing the line and how to safely drive the line I start working with them on off line corner entries. First I will tell them to move to mid track and enter from there and after a few times doing that and showing they can handle it I will have them move to the opposite side of the track and run along the painted lines for the ultimate off line entry. Once a student gets used to doing this they gain some confidence and they have a better appreciation of how to handle a situation where they may get forced off line due to something unexpected happening on track.

Watch some of the videos posted by fast drivers who are forum members. You will see them make a lot of offline passes. It is either that or never getting a shot to get a fast lap in.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Hardrvin (05-13-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 03:30 PM
evilkid500
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Great video, thanks! I just did my first track day in my Z51 after watching your previous track day video. Definitely gave me the drive to go do it!

How did those powerstop pads hold up this time? Thinking about going to track-only pads or are they more than good enough for occasional track days?
Old 05-22-2018, 03:33 PM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 127 Posts

^^^ Thanks! I'm using Powerstop TrackDay Pads now full time.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:05 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
In an HPDE all passes should be made off line with the car being passed staying on line. The pass should almost always be on the side that the next turn is going. If the next turn is a left hand turn the pass should be on the left and if it is a right hand turn it should be on the right.

Even as an intermediate level driver you should be working on entering a turn off line and getting back on line as you go through the turn. With a late off line corner entry you may need to brake harder and do an inside rim shot on the corner by holding the car for a longer apex before intersecting your normal line and exiting on it.

The other thing you should think about is it is discourteous to pass another car, pull in front of them and hit the brakes for a corner entry. The driver gave you a point by and then you pull in front of them and take away their braking zone because you want a perfect line into the corner. Doesn't make the driver of the car that was passed a happy camper. Unless there is a long distance before getting to the braking zone stay offline and enter the corner off line. Once you start doing that you will become a faster driver as you start to understand the corner and what you can do in the corner.

Once I have a novice student who has shown evidence of knowing the line and how to safely drive the line I start working with them on off line corner entries. First I will tell them to move to mid track and enter from there and after a few times doing that and showing they can handle it I will have them move to the opposite side of the track and run along the painted lines for the ultimate off line entry. Once a student gets used to doing this they gain some confidence and they have a better appreciation of how to handle a situation where they may get forced off line due to something unexpected happening on track.

Watch some of the videos posted by fast drivers who are forum members. You will see them make a lot of offline passes. It is either that or never getting a shot to get a fast lap in.

Bill

Hi Bill,
Chin events start the days with a 30 minute warm-up session for all drivers. I generally use day two to have my student drive the course off-line. One lap on the inside; one lap on the outside. This helps them get a feeling for how much to adjust their speed. In does not; however, allow for the track turds that will be off-line by the days end.

Jim
Old 06-04-2018, 08:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by jlutherva
Hi Bill,
Chin events start the days with a 30 minute warm-up session for all drivers. I generally use day two to have my student drive the course off-line. One lap on the inside; one lap on the outside. This helps them get a feeling for how much to adjust their speed. In does not; however, allow for the track turds that will be off-line by the days end.

Jim
Well track turds can bring about another teaching moment.

Bill

Quick Reply: Advanced Group Challenges!