Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > General Corvette Topics > Autocrossing & Roadracing
Reload this Page >

Help: Michelin PS4S or Nitto NT-01 for HPDE & Street Use

Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Michelin PS4S or Nitto NT-01 for HPDE & Street Use

Old 02-05-2019, 04:51 PM
Anthony F
CF Senior Member

Good to hear that you like the PS4S and that they’ve done well.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:41 AM
okaythen
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by anth115 View Post
I don't think there's a hard and fast rule of exactly how many cycles because the tire degrades gradually so distinguishing between good and bad is a bit subjective.
They can and will heat cycle out though, but you can maximize their useful life by:
- having a proper alignment with good camber/toe to keep the tires cooler/flatter on track
- limiting wheelspin/donuts etc. on the street
- keeping an eye on pressure settings on the track/street to help the tire do its thing

And once they do get past their prime, they'd be suboptimal for all sorts of performance driving aside from roll racing where grip is less of a factor.

Lastly, use em while they're fresh! They'll degrade over time even without being driven, so you may as well enjoy them while they're in peak shape.
Thanks a lot that's exactly what I wanted to know.

Once they do get past their prime (heat cycled a lot), still ok for daily right? just not as good for performance driving, but DD can still use the tires until all the treads wear out?

The MP4S that's on is actually focus st, I actually don't drive it that often, you said they will degrade even if not being used over time about how long is that? anyways got a track day coming up! Can't wait to try it out, 1st time getting those tires and 3rd time on the track!

Another question, costco actually filled them up with nitrogen, I think at HPDE tires psi will still go up a little still? Any idea how much. Before with regular air I lowered them to 32psi, and after a session they would go to 36psi (Where I want them to be)

Last edited by okaythen; 02-06-2019 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:20 AM
eduncan

i have very similar usage of the a 04 Z i went with the new NT05 as a compromise 200 tread wear good grip and reasonable price
Old 02-06-2019, 09:41 AM
Nowanker
CF Senior Member

My experience with tires heat cycled past their prime has been that they feel decent for a couple of laps, then get greasy fast, and become undriveable soon after that.
I tried the NT05s on my C5. When they were new, they had great dry weather grip. Appalling even in a light rain, would hydroplane at about 60 on a grooved freeway.
Didn't get them on track until after they had a couple of years of street miles. Felt OK in the AM, but by the afternoon they'd turned to sh*t. Still about half tread, might have been still OK for the street.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:06 AM
MatthewMiller
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by anth115 View Post
Has there been some good documented results with this tire? I remember there was a lot of hype around them when they launched but obviously not many independent reviews. From what I did hear afterwards, they were a bit slower than the Michelin PSS/4S which itself is a good bit off the Rival/RE71R rubber. I agree they'd make a good rain tire and the price is attractive if they can live up to full 20 min HPDE sessions.
The best info I have available is twofold. First, Tire Rack tested these tires, and got a lap time 30.40s for the Continental ExtremeContact Sport compared to a 29.78s for the PS4. The second data point is from a local national-level autocrosser who has been involved with some testing for Continental. He said that the EC Speed is between 1-1.5s slower than a Rival S or RE71R on a typical autocross course. He brought a set on his C5Z to an event last year, whereas he normally runs Hoosier A7s locally. Comparing his deltas to mine on the two different tires (my setup remaining the same, on Rivals) seemed to bear out his statement. That's pretty rarefied air, since the only tire to get that close (maybe a bit closer) to those two fastest-200tw tires is the latest Falken Azenis 615+, and yet both the PS4 and Conti are legit street tires that do very well in the rain.

Overall the Conti and PS4 are very close. I think the biggest advantage for the Conti is price: in the 325/30/19 size, it's $83 cheaper than the PS4 at Tire Rack. Either one will be a great dual-purpose tire, and you can't go wrong with either.

PS - When I replied to this thread, I didn't notice that it was about 8 months old and that you would have surely made your decision a long time ago. I didn't mean to imply that you made the wrong decision!
Old 02-06-2019, 03:56 PM
TrackAire
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by eduncan View Post
i have very similar usage of the a 04 Z i went with the new NT05 as a compromise 200 tread wear good grip and reasonable price
Here is some interesting information I found out about the Nitto NT-05's......in the 18" rim size they offer three sizes that use a special compound of 140 tread wear instead of the normal 200 tread wear that the rest of the NT-05's are. I've run the 200 TW version NT-05's on my track Mustang and they were good, loud and pretty stiff on the street. Bad rain tire IMO. The Nitto NT-01's is still my favorite HPDE tire for dry weather use.

Has anybody tried the new 140 Tread Wear version of the NT-05?

Here are the three sizes....not the biggest tires but a lot of Vettes could use them for HPDE, etc.
+275/35ZR18 95W
+295/35ZR18 99W
+295/40ZR18 103W

A 295/35ZR18 on the front and a 295/40ZR18 on the rear would be just about perfect for a 18 x 10.5 square set up.

Here is a link to the NT-05's.....you'll see both tread wear versions listed:
https://www.nittotire.com/passenger-...formance-tire/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrackAire For This Useful Post:
Nowanker (02-06-2019), NSFW (02-06-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help: Michelin PS4S or Nitto NT-01 for HPDE & Street Use

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: