Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trackday shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 12:33 AM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 137 Posts

Wow! Glad you didn't end up stranded.

Suddenly I want to upgrade my clutch a lot more than I did yesterday...
Old 05-25-2018, 03:51 PM
jonessw20
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Cool Beans! I have seen the fingers break but not the meat of the ring. You diagnosis of the single catchy spot was the give away which is why my post above yours also says pressure plate fingers. Good thing it did not blow up and leave you stranded at the track. It is really lame to have to go home on a flatbed.
I trailered to the track. But my friends miata broke down on him and I kept telling him if I dont break then you can use my truck and trailer to get home and ill drive. He was thankful that I didnt break. And I was alittle pissed to learn that my AC doesnt work. haha. Might just rip it out to help with more airflow to the radiator and near future oil cooler.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:00 PM
jonessw20
Advanced

Originally Posted by NSFW
Wow! Glad you didn't end up stranded.

Suddenly I want to upgrade my clutch a lot more than I did yesterday...
I assume its a bit of a fluke failure. If your shifts start going to hell then at least you have a bit of troubleshooting info to see if something similar is going on. This was a stock powered car. And the clutch disc had a ton of meat left on it. 61,000 miles.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:19 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Same kind of problem only it was the tabs that were breaking off and causing the disk to lock down.

OP, go to a light flywheel ( 11 lbs Alum, or one with the mass removed from the outside) and a twin disk setup. The difference in shifting at hi-rpms is amazing, and very doable daily.

Mark.

Last edited by Moto One; 05-25-2018 at 09:24 PM. Reason: added info.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:38 PM
jonessw20
Advanced

Originally Posted by Moto One
Same kind of problem only it was the tabs that were breaking off and causing the disk to lock down.

OP, go to a light flywheel ( 11 lbs Alum, or one with the mass removed from the outside) and a twin disk setup. The difference in shifting at hi-rpms is amazing, and very doable daily.

Mark.
one of the recommendations I got was the centerforce LMC with lightweight flywheel. Was thinking about going that route. I’ve been watching videos of corvettes on track and seeing how fast they are able to shift through the gears. Makes me excited to have that and get back to the track. Really curious to see how much time I shave off with just the clutch and flywheel upgrade.

Quick Reply: trackday shifting issues