Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking the C5/C6 platform to the next level [GSpeed Chassis scan]

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 11:38 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

So what sort of packaging compromises, if any, are going to be undone here? What positives in GM's eyes are being omitted here? I'm just wondering specifically what did GM intentionally left on the table and why? Can't wait to see the finished product here. Are you going to apply this to the sledgehammer?
Old 11-15-2018, 01:20 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
So what sort of packaging compromises, if any, are going to be undone here? What positives in GM's eyes are being omitted here? I'm just wondering specifically what did GM intentionally left on the table and why? Can't wait to see the finished product here. Are you going to apply this to the sledgehammer?
The compromises all have to do with the geometry, and how the car handles. For instance, there are certain requirements typically that have to be met handling wise that allow the car to be streetable yet are what we believe to be a hindrance on track. Roll centers are based on stock ride height, Anti dive and anti squat are based around street tires. Camber gain under bump gets more aggressive as we lower the car, which must be accounted for and tuned around our geometry. The C5/C5 platform is very capable, but they always have a push. its very hard to make one loose with out trying to kill you. This is by design, and we know that we will be able to tune the chassis much more when we are finished with it.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:30 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

We are behind in the CAD department, and we have projects and cars awaiting cages, so we moved forward. We will either scan our bars we have bent, or we will make a revision.

Access holes cut to attach the main hoop to the chassis. This is how every corvette cage should be, but it is a SIGNIFICANT amount of work more, and makes door bars much more challenging.

Rear downbars, still lacking an X brace. Notice our tool we made years ago to make sure our tubes are inline, at an intersection. We hose clamp it to the tubes before tacking, so they are strait.

Main hoop complete, notice we removed the factory B Billar for head clearance. This is also set up for a passenger, with dual Diagonal braces and dual harness bars.

use a torch to gently heat up the structure, and the glue willl easily delaminate. Notice our prying tools as we move along.

removing the magnesium inner structure on the C6 roof. this saves a little weight, but mainly provides the head clearance we need for drivers of all sizes when building the cage.

success!

Last edited by GSpeed; 11-15-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:14 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by GSpeed
The compromises all have to do with the geometry, and how the car handles. For instance, there are certain requirements typically that have to be met handling wise that allow the car to be streetable yet are what we believe to be a hindrance on track. Roll centers are based on stock ride height, Anti dive and anti squat are based around street tires. Camber gain under bump gets more aggressive as we lower the car, which must be accounted for and tuned around our geometry. The C5/C5 platform is very capable, but they always have a push. its very hard to make one loose with out trying to kill you. This is by design, and we know that we will be able to tune the chassis much more when we are finished with it.

I sent your company an email through your website last week and pm'd you three days ago on this forum....are you guys answering your emails/pm's? Are you getting them?

Thanks,
George
Old 11-15-2018, 02:39 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by TrackAire
I sent your company an email through your website last week and pm'd you three days ago on this forum....are you guys answering your emails/pm's? Are you getting them?

Thanks,
George

My Mistake, I guess I never hit send! Incoming email!
The following users liked this post:
TrackAire (11-15-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 12:25 PM
no0one718
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Is this an aluminum frame donor car?
Old 11-18-2018, 07:06 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by no0one718
Is this an aluminum frame donor car?

Yes it is. The base plates are not complete yet. This cage ( and several others behind it) will be transferred and final installed into their respective chassis'.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:23 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

HEY, That is my boy

Signed....
the real LG
Old 11-19-2018, 06:36 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

OK Guys,

There is a 16 hour race at COTA on the weekend of the first (8 hours each day---Saturday and Sunday )

I am going to drive a car for a very famous team MY SON LOUIS AND he has 1 full car to fill for either 3 or 4 drivers because the drivers that were scheduled for the car dropped out.

SO there is also ONE seat open in the car that I am driving for him.

Contact Louis at G speed if any of you are interested in driving one of the 3 Corvettes that he has entered.

These are first class cars that meet the rules to the max.

I love to say that "I taught Louis everything he knows but not everything I know."

BUT I am know that he has learned so much more over the years.

He started helping me build race cars when he was 15 (sorry it was a Mustang)

AND yes I am proud of him so call him and lets go racing!!

I usually drive sprint races but this is a great opportunity to drive a multi driver event in a car that My son built.

CALL Louis @ GSpeed-- 877-512-5180

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 11-19-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:32 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm not in a place to take advantage of this awesome chance but I'm working towards it for the future, what licensing/qualification does a driver need to run in this event?
Old 11-20-2018, 10:28 AM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by dclafleur
I'm not in a place to take advantage of this awesome chance but I'm working towards it for the future, what licensing/qualification does a driver need to run in this event?

solo in HPDE with a check ride from WRL. Or any other racing license such as SCCA, NASA, AER, etc

its quite attainable for mere mortals such as us.
The following users liked this post:
dclafleur (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 10:33 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GSpeed

solo in HPDE with a check ride from WRL. Or any other racing license such as SCCA, NASA, AER, etc

its quite attainable for mere mortals such as us.
That's awesome, I'm getting more instruction time in this holiday hopefully next time opportunity knocks I'll be ready to answer.

Quick Reply: Taking the C5/C6 platform to the next level [GSpeed Chassis scan]