Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which generation Vette to build into a road rally & Targa race car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 10:41 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts
Default Which generation Vette to build into a road rally & Targa race car?

I've always been drawn to compete in road rallies and Targa Newfloundland type of automotive events. I want to stay with a USA made product and although I own a C5Z06 used as a steet legal track day toy, I want something that can be used on rough roads, hit potholes, drive in crappy weather, etc. If you've ever watched one of these events, you're on public roads that have been shut down for the event. That means there are a lot of variables that can come into play, rain, ditches, trees, curbs, etc. I need a car that is worthy, but not a money pit to build, either since I have to be able to walk away from it and not be financially hurt.

A couple of North American type rallies are the Targa Newfoundland and the Chihuaua Express in northern Mexico.

If starting from scratch, which generation Vette would you think is the most road worthy and easiest to fix if sitting on the side of the road since you have to be pretty self sufficient if running a basic team like I would (no giant race support trailer and pit crew). My first thought was the C4,.....traditional transmission location, fairly lightweight, easy to get parts, easy to work on, etc. Let me know what you guys think.

Here is what appears to me to be a fast pro type driver doing the Targa Tasmania....this guy is flying:

And an in car view....crazy but looks fun:

Old 05-22-2018, 12:21 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Having worked on a C4... I'd avoid it like the plague. 30% more parts than the C5. Took two days to get the trans out, along with modifying tools to make it happen.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:28 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

I think C6 09+ GrandSport...best steering of the 2 gens, great visibility from in-car over the C5, more big aero on the aftermarket at that, not terribly pricey.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:10 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
I think C6 09+ GrandSport...best steering of the 2 gens, great visibility from in-car over the C5, more big aero on the aftermarket at that, not terribly pricey.
I really like the C6 Grandsport as that is the car I went through the Bondurant driving school course with and enjoyed it. My concern is being able to fix issues should they arise (or having somebody fix them) in the field, literally. But the C6 platform does have the best aftermarket support of probably any of the generations.

C6's are pretty high tech, especially with fuel injection, stability control, etc.

Since posting this thread I've been thinking about a budget....I think I want to keep it under $30k. That will put most C6 Grandsports out of my range, especially once I add in the added mods I want to do. I think this probably means a C3, C4 or C5.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:30 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by mgarfias
Having worked on a C4... I'd avoid it like the plague. 30% more parts than the C5. Took two days to get the trans out, along with modifying tools to make it happen.
I miss my C4, actually enjoyed driving it more than the C5. The C5/C6 is much easier to work on and if you are driving them hard you will be working on them. I have a C5.

Last edited by 93Polo; 05-22-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:49 AM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I loved my C4 - what a fun car to drive. But the market no longer supports that platform. My suggestion is to buy the newest platform that your budget allows.

Side thought : the words budget and racing should not be used in the same sentence. They are mutually exclusive.

Good luck!
Old 05-22-2018, 09:53 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I love my C4, but it is harder to work on than my C5Z.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:56 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by TrackAire
I really like the C6 Grandsport as that is the car I went through the Bondurant driving school course with and enjoyed it. My concern is being able to fix issues should they arise (or having somebody fix them) in the field, literally. But the C6 platform does have the best aftermarket support of probably any of the generations.

C6's are pretty high tech, especially with fuel injection, stability control, etc.

Since posting this thread I've been thinking about a budget....I think I want to keep it under $30k. That will put most C6 Grandsports out of my range, especially once I add in the added mods I want to do. I think this probably means a C3, C4 or C5.

In that case, I think the C5Z is the obvious choice. Only way to consider a C3 is if it were a vintage raced chassis someone built and caged, otherwise you're starting with something so far from capable, it's not anywhere near worth it. C5Z out of the box is a lot of car...add a cage and safety and you're pretty good to go already.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:58 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Thanks for the input on the C4.....I did not realize that it was more complicated than a C5 to work on. My thoughts on the C4 were to make it basic, even putting something like a carburetor motor in it. Ultimate horsepower is not going to be my goal, but reliability and simplicity will be. If I have an issue in Mexico, I need the car to be able to be diagnosed and fixed, so the simpler the better (at least that's my thought since most the these races are no where near home).

Budget....yeah I know that this is a joke when it comes to "racing" but I do need to be able to walk away from the car (in other words leave it) in case the car is wrecked beyond reasonable repair, etc. When in a country like Mexico, a crash with damages to others can get very "complicated" very quickly. Some guys bring vintage cars that are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars knowing that the cars could be wrecked. That's outside my pay scale, lol.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:53 AM
heavyzee
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I ran Chihuahua Express this past year in my C5.

Only issue is you have to get almost 6" of ride height, (we ran 5-3/8, and still had plenty of scraping.

I would recommend a hatch over a hardtop, as you need the extra room inside for tools, helmets, spare jacks etc... etc....

Also keep in mind you need a specially designed cage for these events as they are FIA sanctioned

The following users liked this post:
fruitsalad (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 12:04 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

heavyzee,
Thanks so much for posting. I may be contacting you for additional info as this project starts to come together, especially for the Mexican rally.

If you have any additional stories or comments about the Chihuahua Express and specific recommendations on setting up a car, I'll love to read about them.

I too thought that ground clearance would be a concern, these are public type roads so you never know what the condition is until you get there.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:25 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Having had two C3 racecars, a couple C4's, a C5Z and several C6's...for your parameters, C5Z all day.

Fuel injection is far from a reliability issue. The Lsx is pretty much the pinnacle of reliability in honesty. I had a carb guy working for me at my shop when I had the C3's and he made them run like a b*tch but, it was in a constant state of needing "tweaked" to run hard. C5Z...tune it and forget it. Preventative maintenance and you're good.

C4's are definitely tight to work on, the optispark is a liability, can't say much negative about the LT1...they were decent motors. C4's just don't have the chassis and the balance of C5....C4 chassis was developed in late 70's....very dated.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:49 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by TrackAire
Thanks for the input on the C4.....I did not realize that it was more complicated than a C5 to work on. My thoughts on the C4 were to make it basic, even putting something like a carburetor motor in it. Ultimate horsepower is not going to be my goal, but reliability and simplicity will be. If I have an issue in Mexico, I need the car to be able to be diagnosed and fixed, so the simpler the better (at least that's my thought since most the these races are no where near home).

Budget....yeah I know that this is a joke when it comes to "racing" but I do need to be able to walk away from the car (in other words leave it) in case the car is wrecked beyond reasonable repair, etc. When in a country like Mexico, a crash with damages to others can get very "complicated" very quickly. Some guys bring vintage cars that are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars knowing that the cars could be wrecked. That's outside my pay scale, lol.
It is not so much C4s are complicated as things are generally more of a pain to get to and yes the C4 is not as supported as it once was.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:25 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

You can find a used C6 Base with the LS3 for sub-$20k and maybe one that has been wide-bodied. If not, the panels are not expensive in fiberglass and then pick up some Forgestars in 18x11/12. Use the rest for the suspension and maybe heads/cam. 450+ rwhp with more capability I would think than a C5Z. Even an LS2 C6 would work, I have seen one recently for $15k. If you are brave, go procharger instead of HCI. 600 rwhp on tap, except the heat may be a tad much.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:41 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Buy a cheap C5 coupe to start. Build your motor, trans, suspension, safety (as FIA required). Go have fun... My 2 cents.

Mark.

Get notified of new replies

To Which generation Vette to build into a road rally & Targa race car?

Quick Reply: Which generation Vette to build into a road rally & Targa race car?