Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GoPro; Track Addict combo for road course duty

Old 06-05-2018, 11:27 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 478 Posts

Default GoPro; Track Addict combo for road course duty

Does anyone use the combination of Track Addict; a GoPro and a BLE OBD II device for road course data acquisition?

If so I’d love to hear your thoughts +/- on the functionality.

TIA,

Bish
Old 06-05-2018, 01:25 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I really like track addict, but have never used another app. I use with external GPS, OBD, and phone for vid. Works well for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joshboody:
dllhg (05-30-2021), thebishman (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 08:30 PM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshboody
I really like track addict, but have never used another app. I use with external GPS, OBD, and phone for vid. Works well for me.
Exactly...I use a dedicated Samsung S5 in airplane mode for the camera stuck to the windshield with a Ram mount, Garmin Glo GPS, some OBD II dongle I bought off Amazon for $50 and an external Audio Technica mic. I paid for TrackAddict and think it works well with minimum screwing around. I have limited patience for video at the track so this one works great for me. Here's a sample

Last edited by SocalC5Z; 06-05-2018 at 08:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 08:14 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm interested in an answer to this as well. I use a 7" tablet mounted to the center stack for a display and a GoPro mounted to the windshield for video. I have been using Harry's with this setup but may give Track Addict a shot. Harry's has been flaky with my OBD dongle so I may try HPTuners new interface for external data when they start shipping upgrades for existing customers.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:55 AM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I use this set up on my C6 base.

I find it extremely easy to use, though my specific car is fickle with getting everything to connect initially. Sometimes it takes a few tries for Track Addict to connect to OBD.

GoPro Hero 4 and XGPS 160 or something like that.

I ended up with this set up specifically because the GoProH4 has wireless and the screen to easily change the config. When session is about to start, Track Addict detects movement and that's when the video starts. So no fussing with syncing up video to data overlay...that's my favorite part.

As long as you pay for the race render license, making videos with data overlay is super easy with this set up. It's the cheapest and easiest way I've found to do so.

With that said, I do intend to upgrade to an Aim Solo 2 and a Smarty Cam. Mostly because I just want to turn the devices on and it work without syncing up everything on my phone. I've missed some good videos because I couldn't get it to work right before going on track. Again, that might just be me or my components/car. Also, I think the AIM does provide more data points and accuracy..but convenience is what's important to me at this point. There's nothing important missing from Track Addict set up that I can think of.
thebishman (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 10:56 AM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

i use a gopro, i downloaded track addict but didnt try it last week..I was lazy
Old 06-06-2018, 11:01 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 478 Posts

Thanks for all the input so far guys.

Any thoughts on Harry’s versus Track Addict?

I’ve got a GoPro Hero 6, and just bought a Harry’s recommended OBD II dongle for the data stream.

I’m also going to buy an external GPS unit.

Ultimately I just want something that gives me really good video with excellent image stabilization and that starts/syncs everything above when I leave the pits.

Bish

Last edited by thebishman; 06-06-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:06 PM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I will add that the Ram mount is the shortcoming in my setup. I wanted something that would stay planted on my windshield no matter what. which the Ram mount accomplishes. There is some play in the rotation joint and that translates into camera movement that degrades the image. A GoPro won't have that issue. I have a GoPro and intend to setup dual camera views as well.

Last edited by SocalC5Z; 06-06-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:59 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

I've messed with all of them extensively and honestly RaceChrono Pro is my favorite. Simple and easy to use, lots of lap compare functionality, nice in app overlay rendering capability, fastest OBD logging speeds. I have a gopro 5 and you can turn it on/off, record on/off, see gopro video preview, change settings, transfer video files over wifi, all thru the racechrono app. Great app support too, Ive hit up the developer about some bugs and he is super responsive and fixes the issues.
shadowskill (10-12-2020)
Old 06-06-2018, 07:15 PM
Clairvoyantwolf
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I run a similar setup as that you are considering. Except I use a Gopro Hero 5 Black. The OBS reader is one of those PLX units and the external GPS is a x160. Here is a sample:

The video is put together using race render (I tried to make the onscreen graphics similar to the C7's PDR). And you can see that compared to the other video posted that the image stabilization is better using a GoPro. However I am not using an external mic so the sound is worse.

I haven't used Harry's but I have few complaints with Trackaddict. Of my complaints, even with an external GPS, the accuracy isn't enough to really compare lines, for what I understand you'd have to use a Vbox or something like that. Also the timing hasn't been very reliable for me during autocross sessions. Either the time is off by an unacceptable degree or it doesn't record the time at all.

Other than those main issues I have few complaints. I especially like that they added sector times in a recent update.
thebishman (06-06-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 04:25 PM
CaddyRacer
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Has anyone run Track Addict connected to a Android Auto head unit AND connected to a front camera?
is it even possible to run Track Addict thru Android Auto?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:37 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

The initial cost is expensive but look at AIM Smarty Cams. I messed around with Track Addict, Race Render, GoPro, dongles, OBD II, etc. The Aim works 99% of the time vs about 70% for GoPro, is direct wired, auto start/stop, uses 1/3 the memory, generates a track map, and overlaps data as you record. You actually watch all your videos with data instead of just picking your best video and spending hours splicing, overlaying and rendering. It is worth it. 2 cents.

Get notified of new replies

To GoPro; Track Addict combo for road course duty

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GoPro; Track Addict combo for road course duty