Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Timer here - Need Suspension HELP - C6

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 06:33 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Default 1st Timer here - Need Suspension HELP - C6

Hey guys,

As you can see I am not new to CF. But it's my 1st post in this category of "Autocrossing & Roadracing." I recently bought a 2008 C6 vert, 35K miles, A6, base model. I honestly feel it needs some suspension upgrading. I've hammered my questions/concerns all over the CF, but finally thought of posting it here!!!

Goal - I am notlooking to turn this into a "track car." I want to use it as DD, long trips, and highways, so I need it to run smoothly without road jitters and noises. However, I do want to improve it's cornering abilities and improve stability in the high-speed straights so it stays well planted on all 4 wheels. I will do some track days also down the road. I expect the car to perform close to the Z51 (or better).

Parts - The car came with Z51 sway bars installed. I have recently bought (not yet installed) - 1). Bilstein B8 shocks, 2). C6 Z06 springs (front & rear), and 2). Moog end-links.

Questions - Already having the Z51 sways, I got the B8 shocks - my understanding is these shocks are similar (or better) than Z51 shocks, and are designed for the lowered cars. I figured new Moog end-links would be a good addition to sway bars. Now my BIG "Concern is - should I replace both (front & rear) springs with Z06 springs, or just the front? Since the Z06 front spring is very close to the Z51 front spring, that should be an automatic fit. It's the rear springs that I am concerned about.

Please share your feedback and inputs. Your help is appreciated.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:17 AM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I added Z51 sways and Z06 shocks to my base model, made a big difference in cornering for sure. Also did the Moog end links. I didn't change the springs though.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:17 AM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

You definitely do not want the z06 rear spring. Go with the z51 spring as GM designed it. With good shocks and a performance alignment, you should be happy with it... until you get the track bug.
The following users liked this post:
Vette_Fan (06-29-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 08:38 AM
anth115
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Just my $0.02 but I would start with getting your alignment checked and bushings inspected for wear. Since you mentioned high speed straights, that can often do the trick. For example, if your car was aligned to 0 rear toe, under acceleration you'll have rear toe out which makes the car feel unstable and unpredictable. Even if you choose to go ahead with the parts you're planning to install, you'll still need to realign the car anyways afterwards to make sure it is still in spec. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2018, 10:17 AM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

If you want it to still ride smooth keeps the springs you have and go with big bars soft springs. Id say go with a 35 mm front bar and a adjustable 1 inch bar for the rear. Change the shocks and get a performance alignment
The following users liked this post:
Vette_Fan (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 07:24 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by anth115
Just my $0.02 but I would start with getting your alignment checked and bushings inspected for wear. Since you mentioned high speed straights, that can often do the trick. For example, if your car was aligned to 0 rear toe, under acceleration you'll have rear toe out which makes the car feel unstable and unpredictable. Even if you choose to go ahead with the parts you're planning to install, you'll still need to realign the car anyways afterwards to make sure it is still in spec. Good luck!
As others have mentioned also - alignment is a must. I will get it done AFTER all the suspension work is done.

I did ask on the forum about adding Poly bushings to sway bars / or control arms - the feedback I got was it's not necessary and will make the ride more harsh. Since I am adding the Z06 front spring, I feel it will give better control of the front, so I'll stay with OEM bushings (car has 35K miles).

As for the Alignment - I'll get it done after everything is done. But honestly, when you guys talk about the toe, camber (front or rear), I've no clue about it. I guess I haven't studied much about the alignment terminology and its effects. My plan is to just take it to a decent shop and tell them to do All 4 wheel alignment for street use. I will use the street specs from PFADT - http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-alignment.pdf That should do it (I think). Or are there any specific specs/adjustments I should be looking at?

Base parts to be replaced with -
Moog end-links
Z06 front spring
Z51 Sway bars (front & rear)
Bilstein B8 shocks (all 4)

Thanks!

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 06-29-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:21 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

^ ^ ^

ttt
Old 07-03-2018, 10:20 PM
Craiger77
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I say just get an alignment and run it a season before installing parts.

Keep your parts , but establish a baseline for your car so you can measure improvement when the parts are installed. Also it’s important you know how the car feels normally so you know when something is off or not working. If you add a bunch of parts without knowing your car and something isn’t working it could take you longer to sort it out.

As is, you’ll be surprised how capable the car is.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:57 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

assuming you've done a track alignment?

Get notified of new replies

To 1st Timer here - Need Suspension HELP - C6

Quick Reply: 1st Timer here - Need Suspension HELP - C6