Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake dust permanently staining wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 01:01 AM
dparm
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Brake dust permanently staining wheels

Anyone else have problems with brake dust permanently staining their wheels? This is my first car with black wheels, but on two different brake compounds (Ferodo DS2500 and Hawk DTC-60), the spokes have been completely ruined with huge silver bands that line up perfectly with the calipers. Is this just a side effect of the big caliper positioned right by the spokes?

I have tried Iron-X and Sonax Wheel Cleaner Full Effect with no luck. The wheels are coated with Cquartz and the shop that did it said there's no way it will protect against 1000F brake dust -- they're guessing it's etching right into the paint.

Here are two photos after multiple attempts to clean them.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:02 PM
bj1888
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Heat from the caliper may have burned holes in the CQuartz, and possibly discolored the wheel finish itself.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:19 PM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

I would suspect the sealant as well.

Try a cleaning wax. Maybe even polishing compound if that wasn’t doing anything. Couldn’t make it worse.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:51 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

It definitely happens where rotor and/or pad material becomes embedded in the wheel paint. It seems that some pad compounds are better than others in this regards. And some don't like to get wet and then dry without being wiped off. I didn't search too much, but here are few threads which talk about it.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ed-wheels.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...preciated.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...9012-pads.html

I have no personal experience with the compounds you've tried.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:21 PM
DK83
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't tell for sure from the pictures, but are you talking about the silver lining right before the barrel of the wheel? From the pic it looks like the paint is gone and the substrate is showing through. Hard to tell from the picture though.

I also run ds2500 and 1.11(more 1.11's lately) on oem c5z wheels and haven't had this kind of issue. I did two track days in 90+ heat and ended up washing the car a little over a week after the event with regular soap and had no issues. Mine are also ceramic coated and that helps with the cleaning.

If you have a better picture, maybe I can get a better idea.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:48 PM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

A possible future solution with replacement wheels--I had both my track and street wheels coated with Modesta BC-06 (http://www.modesta.co/products.html) that is supposed to protect the wheels from hot break dust up to 1300*F. So far running Ferodo DSUNO pads on track and Carbotech 1521's for street has worked fine.

I try to wash my wheels with a high power spray as soon as possible after a track event, especially if I have a long commute back to home.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:50 PM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

I've heated up BMW M front rims at track so the paint gets tacky, then the dust kind of fuses into clear coat, I had to repaint mine, buffing compound,cleaners wouldn't touch it.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:52 PM
dparm
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DK83
I can't tell for sure from the pictures, but are you talking about the silver lining right before the barrel of the wheel? From the pic it looks like the paint is gone and the substrate is showing through. Hard to tell from the picture though.

I also run ds2500 and 1.11(more 1.11's lately) on oem c5z wheels and haven't had this kind of issue. I did two track days in 90+ heat and ended up washing the car a little over a week after the event with regular soap and had no issues. Mine are also ceramic coated and that helps with the cleaning.

If you have a better picture, maybe I can get a better idea.
I am talking about the huge bands of silver on the spokes. Those are NOT reflections, the wheels are actually silver colored there now. It's right there in the photos.

The surface feels exactly the same, and no, the wheels are not getting wet after being exposed to the hot pad material.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by arturox2
A possible future solution with replacement wheels--I had both my track and street wheels coated with Modesta BC-06 (http://www.modesta.co/products.html) that is supposed to protect the wheels from hot break dust up to 1300*F. So far running Ferodo DSUNO pads on track and Carbotech 1521's for street has worked fine.

I try to wash my wheels with a high power spray as soon as possible after a track event, especially if I have a long commute back to home.
The wheels actually have the high-temp ceramic coating -- as do the calipers. I believe it is BC-06. The rest of the car has Cquartz, so I apologize for not being more specific in my first post.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:37 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Does the discoloration come off using a magnesium/aluminum wheel polish by hand (do not use machine to apply magnesium/aluminum wheel polish)?
Old 07-08-2018, 09:58 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Iron-X will take it out
Old 07-09-2018, 10:25 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

A last ditch product to use is cold cleaning oven cleaner. I had 18" C5 mag wheel for my front tires and that is the only thing that would clean them.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:03 AM
bj1888
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dparm
I am talking about the huge bands of silver on the spokes. Those are NOT reflections, the wheels are actually silver colored there now. It's right there in the photos.

The surface feels exactly the same, and no, the wheels are not getting wet after being exposed to the hot pad material.​​
I'd be really surprised if brake dust made your wheels a significantly lighter color, given that most track pads produce pretty dark dust. Since it's localized to the area that passes closest to the caliper, it's more likely to be heat-soak related.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:43 AM
killerzee
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Iron-X will take it out

This or, any Iron Remover. I like the Meguiars Ultimate Wheel Cleaner
Old 07-09-2018, 12:29 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just had my wheels powder coated the color of brake dust...worked out well.
The following users liked this post:
NSFW (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 01:25 PM
bthomas
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kmagvette
I just had my wheels powder coated the color of brake dust...worked out well.

Im seriously considering this myself.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake dust permanently staining wheels

Quick Reply: Brake dust permanently staining wheels