Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have experience with DBA brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 03:20 PM
gunnersfan10
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone have experience with DBA brake pads?

Just as the title suggest I'm curious to see if anyone has had experience with DBA's pads. They've got a great name as a rotor supplier and I used to work for one of the manufacturers who produced product for them but I can't find anything about their pads. I'm looking for a track pad/rotor setup that's decently priced and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. My car's a 2010 GS and would be running on street tires with a semi-novice behind the wheel (me!) Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2018, 04:44 PM
dparm
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Their entrance into the pad market is relatively new and I've often wondered if they are even producing them in-house or just getting something else relabeled. I haven't heard from anyone using them.

Why not call their tech support line and ask for some guidance on an appropriate pad choice?
Old 07-05-2018, 05:45 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by dparm
Their entrance into the pad market is relatively new and I've often wondered if they are even producing them in-house or just getting something else relabeled. I haven't heard from anyone using them.

Why not call their tech support line and ask for some guidance on an appropriate pad choice?
Pad choice is not their strong point as far as DBA USA is concerned. The staff here is small and primarily distribution and customer service oriented.

I have sold a decent number of sets already and I can offer some guidance.

The XP650 is not a full track pad. It will have more friction than a street pad but I see it more suited as an aggressive street pad or very entry level track pad on a Corvette.

The XP735+ is a medium friction track pad. We've had 20ish customers with 'heavy high HP' type cars and the faster ones or those with aggressive tires should not use these. They won't hold up to hard use on a Corvette.

Hope that helps and feel free to post questions and inquiries.

Also interested in the OP's experience as a supplier to DBA. I have worked with them for over 10 years now.

-Ken

Old 07-06-2018, 12:39 PM
gunnersfan10
Intermediate

Ken,

Thanks for chiming in that's the exact information I was looking for. I have a few track days under my belt as well as years of Auto-x experience in everything from a first gen Boxster to a Boss 302. I'm not too concerned about over driving the pad as I'm new to my current car(2010 GS) and will be on street tires, so I'm not looking to set any lap records just have some fun without the speed limits. The price point on the DBA pads was what caught my eye and the fact you guys have them kitted. I might try the XP735+ just for kicks, I'll most likely get 3 track days in this year with some Autocrosses sprinkled in between so nothing too serious.

I'm in the automotive aftermarket in sales and used to work for Winhere Brakes, they're a Chinese manufacturer who produce and private label rotors and drums for most of the high end aftermarket brands in Europe and North America (Bosch, TRW, Textar, etc.) but also do product for the major retailers(AZ, Oreilly, etc.). They produce the entry level DBA rotors and I believe the T2's. Our Asia rep handled that part of the business I was just involved with the US/Canada customers. I'm not sure who makes the DBA 2-piece rotors as Winhere didn't have the patent for the hub and rotor ring connectors figured out yet. I like DBA and know they go to great effort to put good product in their boxes.
The following users liked this post:
KNSBrakes (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 01:31 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by gunnersfan10
Ken,

Thanks for chiming in that's the exact information I was looking for. I have a few track days under my belt as well as years of Auto-x experience in everything from a first gen Boxster to a Boss 302. I'm not too concerned about over driving the pad as I'm new to my current car(2010 GS) and will be on street tires, so I'm not looking to set any lap records just have some fun without the speed limits. The price point on the DBA pads was what caught my eye and the fact you guys have them kitted. I might try the XP735+ just for kicks, I'll most likely get 3 track days in this year with some Autocrosses sprinkled in between so nothing too serious.

I'm in the automotive aftermarket in sales and used to work for Winhere Brakes, they're a Chinese manufacturer who produce and private label rotors and drums for most of the high end aftermarket brands in Europe and North America (Bosch, TRW, Textar, etc.) but also do product for the major retailers(AZ, Oreilly, etc.). They produce the entry level DBA rotors and I believe the T2's. Our Asia rep handled that part of the business I was just involved with the US/Canada customers. I'm not sure who makes the DBA 2-piece rotors as Winhere didn't have the patent for the hub and rotor ring connectors figured out yet. I like DBA and know they go to great effort to put good product in their boxes.
Great info there. I've heard of/seen Winhere all over for rotor production. I did know that DBA distributes regular rotors in their region as well as having the performance side.

I insisted on Australian sourced rotors for my KNS blanks especially for Corvette's based on the field testing I could do here. They are pretty robust.

DBA is not making brake pads but the engineers in AU are pretty closely spec'ing them out. For more moderate use they have done OK but I have had a couple of harder track guys overwhelm them.

-Ken

Old 07-06-2018, 02:16 PM
gunnersfan10
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
Great info there. I've heard of/seen Winhere all over for rotor production. I did know that DBA distributes regular rotors in their region as well as having the performance side.

I insisted on Australian sourced rotors for my KNS blanks especially for Corvette's based on the field testing I could do here. They are pretty robust.

DBA is not making brake pads but the engineers in AU are pretty closely spec'ing them out. For more moderate use they have done OK but I have had a couple of harder track guys overwhelm them.

-Ken
Ken,

I might try their pads then, I don't see myself being a harder track guy this season, not with this car yet I've got a ways to go before I work up to it's limits that much was apparent on the autocross course. If they don't work out I don't have a ton invested in them but if they do it's a great value.

Yep, Winhere is the world's largest aftermarket producer of rotors but they don't sell anything under their own name outside of China, they are excellent quality and have some pretty serious brands that source from them. I learned a lot about brakes from working there before I moved on. I figured DBA was having someone produce the pads to their "specs", there's a lot of that in the brake industry and most people don't realize it.

I appreciate the information. I'll most likely be ordering some rotors and pads from you guys this weekend.

-AJ
Old 07-07-2018, 12:30 AM
carmaniac13
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW this thread is timely, all the other information I've found is years old. I'm in the market for pads for my C5Z, now that I'm starting to do some HPDE, and have exhausted the previous (unknown) pads with two track days. The previous owner put DBA T3 4000 series rotors on the car, so I've just stumbled into their pad selection. Ideally I'd want something I can use for street and track duty, or at very least sufficient enough to get me to and from the track. Inspecting my rotors, it looks like my orange paint was somewhere between orange and yellow, so I think my rotors were getting to around 500C but maybe not quite the 550C to make the thermo paint yellow.

Ken, what pads do you see customers typically going with for mixed use? Would the XP735s be suitable for any street use, do they have a minimum operating temperature? The street use my car does see is typically spirited.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:52 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by carmaniac13
WOW this thread is timely, all the other information I've found is years old. I'm in the market for pads for my C5Z, now that I'm starting to do some HPDE, and have exhausted the previous (unknown) pads with two track days. The previous owner put DBA T3 4000 series rotors on the car, so I've just stumbled into their pad selection. Ideally I'd want something I can use for street and track duty, or at very least sufficient enough to get me to and from the track. Inspecting my rotors, it looks like my orange paint was somewhere between orange and yellow, so I think my rotors were getting to around 500C but maybe not quite the 550C to make the thermo paint yellow.

Ken, what pads do you see customers typically going with for mixed use? Would the XP735s be suitable for any street use, do they have a minimum operating temperature? The street use my car does see is typically spirited.
Have you ever herd of Carbotech performance brakes? They make serious brake pads for street and track they offer several different compounds as I will list below. It seems your not willing to swap pads for street use and track use if that is the case I would suggest the XP8 compound for dual duty.

Carbotech™ 1521™

The Carbotech™ 1521™ is our high performance street compound. The 1521™ compound is known for its release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. 1521™ is also a very low dusting and low noise compound with an excellent initial bite. This compound's excellent linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Carbotech™ 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 800°F (426°C+). 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle or fleet vehicle. Carbotech™ 1521™ is NOT recommended for ANY track use.

Carbotech™ AX6™

The AX6™ is specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range of 50°F to 1000°F + (10°C to 537°C+). The advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial bite, high coefficient of friction at lower temperatures along with very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech™ doesn't recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT recommended as a race compound in most applications.

Carbotech™ XP8™

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1250°F+ (93°C to 676°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.

Carbotech™ XP10™

When Carbotech™ unleashed the XP10™ to the general public it immediately gathered multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ has a very strong initial bite with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1475°F (801°C). XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release, excellent modulation and rotor friendliness that have made all Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

Carbotech™ XP12™

Another highly successful XP™ series compound with an excellent initial bite, torque and fade resistance over and above the XP10™ compound. XP12™ has temperature range of 250°F to 1850°F+ (121°C to 1010°C+). The XP12™ has that excellent Carbotech™ release and modulation that has made all other Carbotech™ compounds so successful. The XP12™ is more rotor aggressive than XP10™, but compared to the competition the XP12™ is still very rotor friendly. XP12™ is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

Carbotech™ XP20™

The latest iteration of the highly successful XP™ series of compounds. XP20™ is a step up from the highly successful XP16™ compound. With an extremely aggressive initial bite, linear torque curve and excellent fade resistance the XP20™ is another major step in progression of the highly successful XP™ series line of compounds from Carbotech™. XP20™ has a temperature range of 275°F to 2000°F+ (135°C to 1093°C+). Carbotech™ XP20™ maintains our tradition of having the outstanding release and modulation that has made all other Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP20™ is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

Carbotech™ XP24™

XP24™ is the pinnacle compound of the extremely successful XP™ Series of compounds engineered by Carbotech™. This compound is based on the same fundamentals that exist in all other Carbotech™ formulations. XP24™ has even more initial bite, more overall bite, and more torque along with the most linear torque curve we have ever offered. The thermal characteristics are of the highest Carbotech™ offers along with one of the highest coefficient of friction ratings offered by anyone in the braking industry. This compound is the longest wearing compound Carbotech™ offers as it was originally engineered for endurance applications at the highest pro racing levels. This revolutionary new compound has been extremely successful with open wheel, closed wheel, sprint and endurance applications. XP24™ has a temperature range of 400°F to 2000°F+ (204°C to 1093°C+). Carbotech™ XP24™ is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise along with the necessary heat required to work properly.

Carbotech™ RP2™

The RP2™ compound was engineered for endurance racing based on our highly successful XP™ Series formulations. RP2™ has strong initial bite, a little less modulation than our XP12™, but still maintains the rotor friendliness of our XP™ series compounds. RP2™ has great fade resistance with a temperature range of 250°F to 1450°F+ (121°C to 787°C). RP2™ is as rotor friendly as our XP™ series compounds. Carbotech™ RP2™ is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

http://ctbrakes.com/
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 07-07-2018, 09:00 PM
BTTBSS
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default XP-10 and XP-8

If you can live with an occasional squeak and some brake dust the XP-10 in front and XP-8's in the rear work very well on the street and track. A few hard stops will quiet any noise and the dust Just wipes off. They last a long time and you can run them right down to the backing plates.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:21 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by carmaniac13

The 650's are streetable but have dust but are basically quiet. Limited track use though. If you are on the novice learning curve than you might use these pads for 1 cycle before moving up.

The XP+ higher ones are likely a bit much for street use but that is a personal decision more than I can make. Cold track pads will stop your car just not well and the other drawbacks of dust and noise potential make it undesirable for some.

-Ken
Old 07-09-2018, 02:33 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts
Default VIR with the XP650s.

Just did a weekend with the NCM at VIR. Used the XP650s with new DBA 4000 rotors.
I'm not a 10/10ths driver. Great initial bite, no fade. Happy with performance. ~60% pad left
after 1 day. . The XP650s on the street are very dirty and for me the initial bite is slightly aggressive.
Swapped to the SP500s for street. Maybe a little less bite than OEM pads but excellent modulation at all brake pressures.

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
The 650's are streetable but have dust but are basically quiet. Limited track use though. If you are on the novice learning curve than you might use these pads for 1 cycle before moving up.

The XP+ higher ones are likely a bit much for street use but that is a personal decision more than I can make. Cold track pads will stop your car just not well and the other drawbacks of dust and noise potential make it undesirable for some.

-Ken
The following users liked this post:
gunnersfan10 (07-09-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have experience with DBA brake pads?

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with DBA brake pads?