Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy stuff my coaches say

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 11:56 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Default Crazy stuff my coaches say

First time I met my coach Pro Racer Eric Curran we were standing on wall at Daytona near start/finish. I used to brake at start/finish so I asked him where he brakes w DP. He told me past the 1 which is like 100 yards away. That just blew my mind. I was wondering how the H I was going to do that but now I also brake past the 1.

At Sebring 300 Saturday I asked Alex Popow my co driver & Pro racer where to brake for turn 17. He said no brakes till end of back straight so I think ok I’m there doing like 150mph. Then he says you turn the car near max velocity and brake from 150-60 in about 100 feet So I started working on doing that during race. My technique is a bit of a mess at moment as I’m transitioning from one braking zone to another much smaller braking zone after a high G 150mph corner. Back to work LOL

Then there’s the blind kink at Road Atlanta that you have to take flat out at 160mph+

Last edited by Mjolitor 68; 07-09-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:15 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Pros are pros for a reason. Even after they tell you the answers mere mortals can't do it. We think they are nuts but they do it not just once but every freaking lap and within a couple 10ths of a second just to make our silly heads really blow off.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:55 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Pros are pros for a reason. Even after they tell you the answers mere mortals can't do it. We think they are nuts but they do it not just once but every freaking lap and within a couple 10ths of a second just to make our silly heads really blow off.
‘Eric told me at Road ATL they do the uphill flat out in 4th gear
Old 07-10-2018, 08:30 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

There are NASA AIX guys who have clear 170 in the kink of the back straight of RA and hit 178 before braking for 10A. Once you know where you are going you are golden. Granted I am only doing 130-135 there in my SI build lol. I have the problem of having the mentality of if my car can do it, I can do it. Drive her in deep and believe in the car!
Old 07-10-2018, 09:13 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

I’m just trying to do RA uphill flat out in 3rd
Old 07-10-2018, 11:43 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
I’m just trying to do RA uphill flat out in 3rd
It will come! The biggest thing you have to do is to learn your car and trust it. I am pretty sure a DP car is harder to learn than most cars we have run on track, take your time!
Old 07-11-2018, 10:25 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Innovate
It will come! The biggest thing you have to do is to learn your car and trust it. I am pretty sure a DP car is harder to learn than most cars we have run on track, take your time!
downforce is like “The Force” you have to,put faith in something you can’t see that doesn’t make sense. I’ve learned the faster I go in corners the tighter I can make those corners. Also the limits are SO high 4 years in I’m still learning the limits.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:48 PM
Innovate
Drifting

downforce is like “The Force” you have to,put faith in something you can’t see that doesn’t make sense. I’ve learned the faster I go in corners the tighter I can make those corners. Also the limits are SO high 4 years in I’m still learning the limits.
Most definitely, it is a scary thing to put faith into something that makes no sense to you. Each lap keep pushing harder and believe she will stick! Everyone's learning curve is different, 4 years is not a bad thing. I have never been in a DP car so I have not a clue.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:02 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

First time I met my coach Pro Racer Eric Curran we were standing on wall at Daytona near start/finish. I used to brake at start/finish so I asked him where he brakes w DP. He told me past the 1 which is like 100 yards away. That just blew my mind. I was wondering how the H I was going to do that but now I also brake past the 1.

At Sebring 300 Saturday I asked Alex Popow my co driver & Pro racer where to brake for turn 17. He said no brakes till end of back straight so I think ok I’m there doing like 150mph. Then he says you turn the car near max velocity and brake from 150-60 in about 100 feet So I started working on doing that during race. My technique is a bit of a mess at moment as I’m transitioning from one braking zone to another much smaller braking zone after a high G 150mph corner. Back to work LOL

Then there’s the blind kink at Road Atlanta that you have to take flat out at 160mph+

In the photo with traces in turn 17, I'm guessing you are the red and the pro's are the blue/green traces?

Get notified of new replies

To Crazy stuff my coaches say

Quick Reply: Crazy stuff my coaches say