Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZR1 track build - comments welcome

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 12:19 PM
GndHog
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Does the RHR splitter mount under the existing ZR1 splitter or replace it? A lot of guys over here run just a pure flat composite splitter - since they get banged up pretty good. Might go the low budget route to start - I have some wind tunnel data from a similar car to the vette and was getting good downforce with a pure flat splitter. It’s more about how far it sticks out and forces all the turbulent air up and over vs. letting pass underneath. The flow underneath needs to be max velocity to create a low pressure area while flow over top needs to be slower creating high pressure area aka more downforce. Venting it back will actually slow it back down - unless you have another channeled area for it to flow through.

as far as other comment about NA only for track - cooling technology has come a long way - it’s a matter of heat management in either case NA or induced. E85 really helps a lot and managing the extra heat of the supercharge is manageable. The low end torque - once you can get it down consistently to the track - really benefits coming out turns vs. NA. Tons of turbo charged track cars out out there. Times always change - carbs were the go to system now EFI and even direct injection are better options.

old dogs can learn new tricks....

Last edited by GndHog; 07-12-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:42 PM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Just make sure any front splitter you go with, you want it bolted to the frame of the car. When done mounting it, you should be able to jump up and down on it. Many guys don't even like to mount the undertray to the factory front skid bar/radiator support, unless they reinforce it somehow.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:57 PM
GndHog
Instructor

Of course - seen some really trick installs already that bounded and riveted aluminum angle iron to top side of splitter and then bolt that up to a custom frame support - wish I would have snapped some photos while I was snooping around at track......but picture is firmly imbedded in my mind.

other key is get splitter 2-3 inches from track surface - hopefully without hitting the bumpers when corners get “shortened”
Old 07-13-2018, 11:46 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Suspension wise....all the big boys are running these, spend a few more dollars and get the remote reservoirs

https://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=shop.showItem&subgr oup=32047&ID=3850

JRi Double Adjustable Coilover Shocks - RAFT Valving
  • JRi Double Adjustable Shocks
  • Hyperco Springs & Helper Springs
  • RAFT Proprietary Valving
  • Delrin Upper Shock Mount Bushings

Last edited by Whis9; 07-13-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:24 PM
GndHog
Instructor

You do realize it’s a spring, with a mechanical shock controlled by a mechanical valve right?

the “big boys” must have invented special springs and special valves that defy the laws of physics......

i truly dislike the “big boy” sales pitch........
Old 07-15-2018, 03:28 PM
mp4659
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

As someone who has actually raced and won in a c6....look at rhr performance. It’s real, functional, aero. My good friend Faircloth composites made an unbelievable front splitter. Penskes are worth every penny. As others have said, go with 18s, yes they can be made to clear ccb. Keep the engine mods to those that will add reliability.... I’ll stop here as you seem to have asked for advice while having all the answers.
The following users liked this post:
smellya (08-03-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 08:12 PM
GndHog
Instructor

Originally Posted by mp4659
As someone who has actually raced and won in a c6....look at rhr performance. It’s real, functional, aero. My good friend Faircloth composites made an unbelievable front splitter. Penskes are worth every penny. As others have said, go with 18s, yes they can be made to clear ccb. Keep the engine mods to those that will add reliability.... I’ll stop here as you seem to have asked for advice while having all the answers.
Don’t have all the answers - just a direction want to take car. I was really wanting to go with 19” so I could recycle my own tires from other car - but changed direction and will go with the 18”.

not touching cam, heads, etc CAI, coated long tubes and maybe porting of TB, Snout and charger body (to help,lower AIT only). Between E85 and meth/water injection - really want to understand if exchanger upgrade is needed or not. Might just hold off changing exchanger and see what IAT’s are after few sessions. Again, have a direction not all the answers on how to get there. Will most likely go with a Dewitt radiator and prospeed dual fan upgrade - vent the hood - again in the name of temperature Management.

you using the DA or TA penske’s? Canisters or no canisters? Spring rates? Seen were 750# front and 850# rear used with a good aero package. Springs easy to swap out to find right spot for correct balancing.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:02 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by GndHog
not touching cam, heads, etc CAI, coated long tubes and maybe porting of TB, Snout and charger body (to help,lower AIT only). Between E85 and meth/water injection - really want to understand if exchanger upgrade is needed or not. Might just hold off changing exchanger and see what IAT’s are after few sessions. Again, have a direction not all the answers on how to get there. Will most likely go with a Dewitt radiator and prospeed dual fan upgrade - vent the hood - again in the name of temperature Management.
I would skip coating for the long tubes - I've gone as far as having a set coated by Swain Tech and even that coating didn't seem to help protect the surrounding areas from heat.
If heat protection is your goal wrapping is the only way to go - Kooks or American Racing both use T304 stainless which will handle being wrapped better.
Do whatever you can to protect everything from heat - here's some more reading for you on the subject.
Coating
Old 07-17-2018, 03:33 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

You are going to battle heat, no way around, it was my constant battle in my ZR1, but I was in it before Kong and D3 were really marketing.. I had 2 expansion tanks, LG's rad, the improved bricks, and I still battled IAT2's after a lap or two.. Recovery was very quick, but they still climbed to the point of pulling power.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:39 PM
GndHog
Instructor

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
You are going to battle heat, no way around, it was my constant battle in my ZR1, but I was in it before Kong and D3 were really marketing.. I had 2 expansion tanks, LG's rad, the improved bricks, and I still battled IAT2's after a lap or two.. Recovery was very quick, but they still climbed to the point of pulling power.
do you run E85? E85 by itself can handle much higher IAT’s - yes, mileage much lower but that can be addressed so tracking a car can hopefully last more than 2-3 laps.....

do you know if stock ECM pulls power based off IAT temps or based off of knock sensors? AEM controllers in induction applications general use only knock sensors - and use VE (volumetric efficiency) which is a much better way to control an ICE (IMO). MOTEC controllers have a similar function
Old 07-17-2018, 04:50 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Stock pulls timing based off iat2 temps. Starts at 150* if memory serves.

I ran pump fuel as no track had e85. Originally was 715whp, blew motor(ate rings, common on tracked zr1’s) new motor was 775rwhp. Used it once or twice on track and sold it
Old 07-17-2018, 05:48 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

ate rings?? what is that.. can you elaborate a little.. that sounds horrible.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:56 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Lol. Melted the piston rings
Old 07-17-2018, 07:46 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

wow overheating or detonation?
Old 07-17-2018, 07:55 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

No overheating, but from the heat if sustained track use
Old 07-17-2018, 07:57 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you checked on the availability of E85 near the tracks you want to run at? Or are you planning on bringing your own?

Last edited by MySR71; 07-17-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:17 AM
GndHog
Instructor

Car will be trailered to every track - 48’ foot gooseneck will fit both of my cars, all the gear and at least 100 gals or so of E85.

Trying find balance of IAT impact from meth/water injection vs. larger exchanger, bigger pumps, bigger tank, etc. it depends on what they sell which advice is given.......would really like some neutral party input here.

A pretty much stock engine - with CAI, longtubes on E85 with meth/water injection should be fine on IAT’s on long track sessions without any additional cooling updates correct? Provide meth/water tank will last for full session - gas tank will be empty after around 45 minutes - so meth/water just needs to last that long....

Last edited by GndHog; 07-18-2018 at 12:19 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 track build - comments welcome

Old 07-18-2018, 10:49 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

I looked at all options and tried to do it all with the larger tanks, pumps etc.

I "think" the easiest would be to do upgraded coolers, and a trunk mount ice tank, and refill ice/water each session, but I never got to that point. Car has plenty of power even when pulling power, just not the beast that it is at full tilt.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:50 AM
GndHog
Instructor

Ice in the tank will gone within the first 5 minutes of the race.......

short shifting will help as previously noted - the LS9 has a wide torque band whereas NA guys have to push much higher RPM’s to get similar acceleration. Also as previously noted pure water injection vs. meth/water blend will knock IAT’s down - just have figure out tank size. Running pure water - tank can go in rear cargo area per NASA and SCCA rules so get a large enough tank to last for a full tank of E85 shouldn’t be an issue.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:48 AM
GndHog
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I usually run used Hoosier 315/30/18 tires in the front and 345/35/18 tires in the rear. A C6 with that setup is a cornering monster.
Bill
You had to address any oil issues with said cornering monster? running stock oil sump setup or have modifications been made?
my 315/345 R7's just got shipped......GS1R wheels 18x11, 18x13 hopefully ready soon as well....

Quick Reply: ZR1 track build - comments welcome