Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my new Trailex enclosed trailer but now what?

Old 08-03-2018, 06:25 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by xkilo16x
@speedwaywhite

Is there a particular reason why you go front first? Just curious because I currently back into my trailer.
I find backing out of the trailer easier than backing in.
If you have a tire rack across the trailer you can pull in further under the rack front first.
Most trailers (including mine) have the escape door on the road side of the trailer
Old 08-03-2018, 09:46 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Towing a heavy trailer is a whole new discipline, and it's wise to read and listen. I was lucky to have an engineer brother, so on my enclosed trailer we snapped lines where the outside edges of the tires should be, then put a red line down each side of the entire length as a guide--it's very helpful. If I'm off center a bit, I load full gas cans, jacks, etc on the other side for perfect balance, same thing for front to rear. We also did the math as to how far forward to put the front axle, and drew a red line on the right where the center of the axle should be. I've found setting a loose piece of 2x4 there stops the car in the perfect spot. Also, if your car can use J-hooks that mount into the frame, those are cheap and perfect--and you won't chafe your straps. I duct taped them with the correct orientation so they don't flop around while hooking up. Be aware, your tongue weight will vary by tools, etc, gas in the tank. Make damn sure you have enough tongue weight or you will get sway that can easily escalate to a disaster. IF YOU GET SWAY, DON'T BRAKE--STEP ON THE GAS TO STRAIGHTEN IT OUT! The exception is if you have a brake controller with a separate trailer brake lever to brake only the trailer--I use that all the time on steep hills. If you get sway on a downhill curve, and just hit the truck brakes, it could end in disaster--those are the guys on you tube making a yard sale on the highway. There are good web sites with complete guides, I have one on an older computer, it's worth reading as a guide. There are state laws you may need to comply with--even if you're just towing through the state. For example, memory tells me PA has some rule about the distance from the rear of the truck to the box of the trailer being a minimum. Finally, and MOST IMPORTANT, you are a private hauler and not required to comply with federal DOT regs. However, you can innocently require yourself to be DOT compliant by simple mistakes. For instance, if your truck has any advertising at all on it, a ***** cop can deem you a commercial vehicle and ask for your log book, etc. No CDL, no log book, can't prove how long you slept--the fines can easily be $5,000-10,000. This is not a once in a million event, it's a huge revenue raiser, and plenty of guys have been snared. I asked my DMV how to avoid this, and she pointed out in NY, when you register a truck for personal use, you are swearing that there is absolutely NO advertising on the vehicle--not even a bumper sticker with a business name. (her husband is a drag racer and she was well aware). I called DOT and asked how to avoid problems, you should do some research about it. I printed the regs, and carry them in the truck at all times. The guy said I should stop at all weigh stations just so a chase car doesn't come out, I'm not doing that, never had a problem, but there's no advertising anywhere. Sorry to bring this up, but a little reading can keep you out of their clutches. One more thing, these wide trailers are restricted from many country roads, so if you get stopped, be nice. You may be violating a law. For instance it's also generally against the law to haul gasoline across state lines, which all racers do. I've never had a problem, and have hauled to Tennessee, Boston, all over, and love the enclosed trailer, which has bunks, microwave, generator, etc. An enclosed trailer is a wonderful convenience, just do precisely what you are doing so you get the enjoyment without the hassle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got my new Trailex enclosed trailer but now what?