Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corner balancing strategies

Old 09-22-2018, 03:54 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by romandian
so what do i do if i have with driver:

lf 428 rf 399
lr 380 rr 384

jack up rf utill i get to 796 cross? what does one turn do approximately?
Yes you need to go for 50/50 cross that will also put your front wheel deltas at 29lbs to 13lbs respectively and you will feel it in your braking. 1 turn does what it does on your car. That's not a vette. You got scales so it is easy you make a turn and see how much the weight changes or dial down the RF and LR 1/2T and see what happens. Sometimes you have a corner with lower rideheight so then dial down that corner to compensate at the same time jacking weight where you want it.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:48 PM
jpb1978
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If you go here, it will tell you exactly what to do. http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets11.html
Old 09-22-2018, 11:36 PM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

it is a vette and i have no scales. i was asking what one turn does, because i dish out $100 every time i get i weighted.

according to the calculator im 8 kg off, better than i thought, but he sais he doesnt believe in cross weight, he does something else, cws equalize nevertheless in the end. i guess because the car is so close.

Last edited by romandian; 09-22-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:23 AM
jpb1978
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't remember how much 1 turn does. You need to decide whether you want to raise to low corners or lower the high corners. For 8 KG, or about 17 lbs I would do one turn on each of the 2 corners you decide to change Remember to disconnect and adjust the sway bar end links to remove any preload. Next time I have my car on scales, and it may be a while because I just did it a week ago, I will see what one turn does.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:42 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

it is a vette and i have no scales. i was asking what one turn does, because i dish out $100 every time i get i weighted.

according to the calculator im 8 kg off, better than i thought, but he sais he doesnt believe in cross weight, he does something else, cws equalize nevertheless in the end. i guess because the car is so close.
Oh you quoted Kgs. You are never going to cornerbalance that way. You have to do it the complete way flat ground, 50% fuel load, sways disconnected, weight without stichion. That is an impossible ask driving up to a place and getting on a scale. Go to a race shop who can scale and align the car or invest in the tools to do it right. Anything else is just a guess.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:14 PM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
50/50 cross first, then look at your front/rear ratios on each side. Unless those are SERIOUSLY out of whack, 50/50 is your goal. If your side bias's (front/rear) are more than about 3% off, then you need to go on a diet, or move some weight to the right side/rear end.

Example:
lf 750 rf 650
lf 650 rr 550

cross weights 50/50, left side 1.15, right side 1.18 (2.6% difference). Car will have more relative front grip on right handers, and more relative rear grip on left handers, but overall 50/50 is best.
This car would have more grip everywhere on left turns
Old 10-02-2018, 12:42 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts

Can't remember if I mentioned this before:
Make sure the F wheels are pointed straight ahead (even F toe, side to side)
The caster causes noticeable weight transfer when the wheels are turned.
The following users liked this post:
romandian (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 02:36 PM
D K
Pro

One of the thinfs we did when I worked for a formula car team was we lowered the tire pressires to 10-15lbs to even out the weight on each scale pad.
This helped even out caster differences and what not
Old 10-02-2018, 09:08 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by D K
One of the thinfs we did when I worked for a formula car team was we lowered the tire pressires to 10-15lbs to even out the weight on each scale pad.
This helped even out caster differences and what not

Yeah but if you are corner balancing you want to scale at hot pressures.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:34 AM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Agreed. I found on my scales, tire pressures make a large difference in corner weights. You want to make sure your pressures are setup properly.

Another fun fact: It’s well known that the fuel in a corvette is drawn from the passenger’s tank first and then the driver’s side tank next when running. However, when the car is at rest (and by that I mean turned off), the fuel in the drivers tank will syphon back into the passenger’s side tank and reach equilibrium. So if you’re like me and you corner balance with 1/2 fuel, if you don’t run the car first, the fuel will be equally distributed between left and right tanks rather than a full left tank and an empty right tank.

Last winter I ripped out the factory wiring in my C5. I have two fuel gauges, one for each tank. When you start the car after it’s been sitting, the levels are equal. When the car is running, the fuel gets transferred from the passenger’s side to driver’s side as you’d expect.

Anyway, this makes an (arguably small) difference in your corner weights.

Last edited by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe; 10-03-2018 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:20 PM
D K
Pro

Originally Posted by fatbillybob

on paper - yes.
what youre really trying to find out how ypur car is balanced.

On the track there are a bunch of other things going on, including wheels spinning - which is not the case at the shop.

Try it next time you weigh your car. Once with hot pressures and once at 15psi.
See what happens.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:48 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by D K

See what happens.
I truly do not understand why going 15psi does anything. What does that represent? I'm happy to learn. You are adjusting coil spring heights to gain a 50% cross. The tire is a spring and it has a spring rate. The tire pressure controls the tire rate. Therefore you have to pick a reasonable tire pressure that represents the driven condition which means hot pressures. It is for a similar reason you use 1/2 the fuel load.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:16 AM
D K
Pro

For one, you could have a wheel out of round that would get evened out by lowering your tire pressures.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:21 PM
romandian
Drifting

no, typical tire run out is 3 mm, cant imagine wheel being larger and pressure making a difference..

Last edited by romandian; 10-04-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:04 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

no, typical tire run out is 3 mm, cant imagine wheel being larlger and pressure making a difference..
It will and so will the sway bars if they are not disconnected. I you can't imagine the change, try scaling a car yourself and try the different pressures and see what happens to the cross weight. Even opening a door to raising the hood will make a difference. Also, how you place the weights in the driver's seat will make a difference.
The following users liked this post:
Nowanker (10-25-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 02:34 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by D K
See what happens.
Challenge accepted. I've always scaled at target hot pressures and am curious what a uniform decrease in pressure across all tires will do to weights.

Although, if/when they are different, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that information or how I will change my approach...
Old 10-04-2018, 04:13 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Nokones
It will and so will the sway bars if they are not disconnected. I you can't imagine the change, try scaling a car yourself and try the different pressures and see what happens to the cross weight. Even opening a door to raising the hood will make a difference. Also, how you place the weights in the driver's seat will make a difference.
It all does make a difference!
Skeptical of a difference from changing tire pressures though, as long as they're all kept even. Next car I scale I'll check! Think the concept of lowering them dramatically to account for possible rim runout is sorta sketchy...
Keeping in mind that these are 3,000 pound+ porkers, and I doubt even Alain Prost could feel 20lbs of 'wrong'!

Get notified of new replies

To Corner balancing strategies

Old 10-04-2018, 08:31 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

We use hot tire pressure to simulate what the chassis will see at a static point. We use tire pressure because pressure controls the height of the tire as a spring just like the spring collar on coilovers or adjusters on our transverse leafsprings. Deflating to non-driven pressures (15psi) or using any pressure other than hot pressures you have no idea of CG height, rake, ride height, front/rear percentage, real corner weights, or the real effects of real weight moved around or ballast added.

I mount and balance my own tires on wheels If the wheel is off 0.040" you would need about 4 oz of weight to balance the wheel/tire. Does anyone have that much weight on their wheels? 0.40" is where you throw the wheels away! Wheel tire discrepancy is not an issue especially on a 3000+lb car without monoball suspension
Old 10-04-2018, 10:19 PM
romandian
Drifting

what is a sensible limit of accuracy? 1% would be 30 pounds, right?
Old 10-05-2018, 09:35 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

what is a sensible limit of accuracy? 1% would be 30 pounds, right?
That's a great question!
Just how accurate IS one of these scale pads?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corner balancing strategies