Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radical Aero Package

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 12:02 AM
GndHog
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Radical Aero Package

uh, I'll wait on the wind tunnel testing before implementing.......

Old 07-19-2018, 09:13 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Must have been the same guy that designed this:
Old 07-19-2018, 01:15 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by GndHog
uh, I'll wait on the wind tunnel testing before implementing.......

Looks like something you would see at a LeMons race.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:44 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

What's with the oil cooler lines just flopping around out in the wind?
Old 07-19-2018, 07:10 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
What's with the oil cooler lines just flopping around out in the wind?
I agree that's nuts! I was reciently made aware of the term "gridlife" I feel like this stuff has something to do with that "life".
Old 07-19-2018, 09:42 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Socko
I agree that's nuts! I was reciently made aware of the term "gridlife" I feel like this stuff has something to do with that "life".

Actually, Gridlife is a car and music festival at tracks that is atracting thousands of people. Last year at Road Atlanta, they had an estimated 15000 people(mostly spectators) for the 3 day event. When was the last time you saw a fraction of that many people at a track event?

It's the shape of things to come. Gridlife that is, not that butt-ugly car in the picture.

Last edited by fmcokc; 07-19-2018 at 09:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dclafleur (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 09:07 AM
REVHARD
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fmcokc

Actually, Gridlife is a car and music festival at tracks that is atracting thousands of people. Last year at Road Atlanta, they had an estimated 15000 people(mostly spectators) for the 3 day event. When was the last time you saw a fraction of that many people at a track event?

It's the shape of things to come. Gridlife that is, not that butt-ugly car in the picture.
lol, I agree. The racing is fun and competitive, they really put on a fantastic event if you're a racer.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:47 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by fmcokc

This year at Gingerman, they had people lining the front straight 3-4 deep for the Track Battle Bracket on Saturday. It was nuts. Not even the drifting drew that much of a crowd. I was working grid, and that was definitely the most crowd control we had to do all weekend.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:29 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Well someone didn't read the Gridlife code of conduct "#GRIDLIFE is for positivity and good times only. Leave the negative vibes, internet tolling, and hateraid at home. Spend 3 days hanging with your friends exchanging high fives, helping others out, and getting down on the track, in the show, and at the concerts. "
Old 07-20-2018, 04:05 PM
JakeL
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Regarding the OP: It's a culture thing in Japan called Bosozoku, Top Gear even did a bit on it last season. I saw a couple when I was in Tokyo earlier this year.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big...ld-of-bosozoku

Think of your usual "stanced" Honda or whatever here in the States and you're not too far off.

-Jake
Old 07-20-2018, 04:46 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dclafleur
Well someone didn't read the Gridlife code of conduct "#GRIDLIFE is for positivity and good times only. Leave the negative vibes, internet tolling, and hateraid at home. Spend 3 days hanging with your friends exchanging high fives, helping others out, and getting down on the track, in the show, and at the concerts. "
Well my bad, I missed that!

Originally Posted by JakeL
Regarding the OP: It's a culture thing in Japan called Bosozoku, Top Gear even did a bit on it last season. I saw a couple when I was in Tokyo earlier this year.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big...ld-of-bosozoku

Think of your usual "stanced" Honda or whatever here in the States and you're not too far off.

-Jake
You meant Bukaki, right?
dclafleur (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 06:05 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Well my bad, I missed that!

You meant Bukaki, right?
Bukaki?......are we talking about splitters or spitters? This is taking radical aero to a "hole" new concept.
The following 2 users liked this post by TrackAire:
fmcokc (07-23-2018), Socko (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 09:13 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by mattastick
This year at Gingerman, they had people lining the front straight 3-4 deep for the Track Battle Bracket on Saturday. It was nuts. Not even the drifting drew that much of a crowd. I was working grid, and that was definitely the most crowd control we had to do all weekend.
So, for those of us who have been to Gingerman a hunderd times (and have the tee shirt), what constitutes a "track battle"?
Old 07-21-2018, 07:30 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

To those old enough to remember them, this is an OPEL KADETT!

Old 07-21-2018, 09:27 AM
fffttt1
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

And for your viewing pleasure. (Remember.....things seen cannot be unseen !!!)

Old 07-21-2018, 12:23 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

You guys seem to think this kind of absurd aero doesn't work because you're used to seeing smaller aero on race cars which are due to restrictions. The fastest time trial cars with unlimited aero look like this:

Old 07-22-2018, 02:04 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
You guys seem to think this kind of absurd aero doesn't work because you're used to seeing smaller aero on race cars which are due to restrictions. The fastest time trial cars with unlimited aero look like this:

exactly! Go look at the hill climb cars (inc. piles peak stuff like the Suzuki above - take actually held the record for like peak several years) or he time attack cars to see so
e big aero packages that WORK!

Get notified of new replies

To Radical Aero Package

Old 07-22-2018, 02:20 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Also worth having a look at what Porsche did with their 919 hybrid Evo to make it's the fastest car around the 'rig'! Not massive changes but some really key ones.

You can argue the US started the big aero seen with cars like the Dodge Charger with its big wing and pointed nose. I feel these cars the the inspiration for slot of the radical aero cars you seen in some other car cultures.

Re the external oil lines to the cooler, again it's part of the scene. i know on some cars it became he only way of fitting the required cooling. Some Euro hot hattachs from the 90's when modded often looknlike someone had stuck intercoolers to the front of them. They worked well but were ugly as hell! But then the base cars were hardly designed by Enzo Ferrari!
Old 07-23-2018, 04:55 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

So this forum now supports gridlife? Cause it's total trash! Track days are for people who track their cars, if you want to get shitfaced and party go to the statefair, some edm festival or some nonsense. Don't ruin my racetrack.

There are serious parrallels between that car and pictures of gridlife garbage.

Well, I assume that you enjoy tracking/racing your car(s). I am sure that you can understand the need to attract new people to the sport to help support it and the industry built around it.

It seems like Gridlife has touched on something that others have failed to accomplish to this point. By bringing as many people to a racetrack as they do on a regular basis, they are serving your needs by introducing them to the sport.

Embrace these people instead of dismissing them. Your future enjoyment of tracks might depend on them.
NSFW (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 09:17 PM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
So, for those of us who have been to Gingerman a hunderd times (and have the tee shirt), what constitutes a "track battle"?
2 cars out on track, lead follow style, running for lap time. 2 lap minimum battle, but can go 3.

So lap 1, car 1 leads, car 2 chases. If car 2 starts too close to car 1, they can't really run faster, and lose the battle. Whichever car goes faster on lap 1 wins that lap. On a cooldown lap, the cars switch positions, so now car 2 leads the lap, and car 1 chases. Again, fastest lap wins that part of the battle. If the same car wins both of the first 2 laps, then the battle is over, and that car/driver move on in the bracket. If the drivers split, then they reverse again, and car 1 leads a 3rd lap, with winner takes all on that lap. Start with 8 cars per prep level, regardless of drivetrain type (Street, Street Mod, Track Mod, and Unlimited, IIRC), work your way to 1, winner per prep level, and done.
The following 2 users liked this post by mattastick:
69427 (07-24-2018), dclafleur (07-24-2018)

Quick Reply: Radical Aero Package