Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering coolers

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:10 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Default Power steering coolers

Ran a track day today (88*). Puked a small amount of p/s fluid (synthetic), and the rack was damn hot (running a C4 suspension under my '69). I've got a C5 or C6 cooler sitting on the shelf I've been meaning to install, but it sure looks marginal in heat transfer capability. Am I misreading its capability, or are there other coolers that you guys are having good luck with?

Thanks for any constructive suggestions.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:23 PM
0steering_experts1
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

What kind of pump are you running? We offer high performance power steering pumps that are designed to run cooler and consume less horsepower. They are also custom built for your application, which will also help keep the system cooler.

Thanks,
Junior
Turn One
Old 07-21-2018, 08:50 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

the factory style cooler works very well, especially compared to running nothing. There is a huge amount of deviation between steering component failures between cars and drivers. I personally think drivers that tend to "saw" the wheel in turns burn up components more than drivers that "commit" and hold they position. I've had 1 failure in 30 years racing, I know others that go through pumps and racks seasonally.
The following users liked this post:
apex26 (08-03-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 09:41 AM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

An underdriven pulley on the crank (smaller) or on the ps pump (larger) will help too. It can affect how it behaves a thing parking lot speeds but it is another consideration.

On my nissan track car I ended up running a small oil cooler as a ps cooler in addition to an underdriven crank pulley.

Last edited by Jfryjfry; 07-21-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:28 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
the factory style cooler works very well, especially compared to running nothing. There is a huge amount of deviation between steering component failures between cars and drivers. I personally think drivers that tend to "saw" the wheel in turns burn up components more than drivers that "commit" and hold they position. I've had 1 failure in 30 years racing, I know others that go through pumps and racks seasonally.
I also in years of C5Z racing have never had a steering system failure except the one time I broke the ear off the passenger side of the rack jumping too many curbs. I'm using prestone autoparts store fluid and everything else stock. I change fluid annually and that's my only maintenance. Eventually the racks leak at the servotronic wires and I have solved that on several racks by cleaning with brake cleaner and injecting clear 5 minute epoxy in the hole using the epoxy like "potting" electrical parts.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:41 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by steering_experts1
What kind of pump are you running? We offer high performance power steering pumps that are designed to run cooler and consume less horsepower. They are also custom built for your application, which will also help keep the system cooler.

Thanks,
Junior
Turn One
Running a GM pump out of an '89 Grand-Am. Reasonably light weight with a v-belt pulley so it works with the stock belt system on the '69. I've got an underdrive crank pulley on the engine, and being a big block, I don't wing the crap outta the engine.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:15 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

My c5z would regularly boil fluid at Road America but no where else. I bought a turn1 pump and the problem went away. I never tried to address the the issue in any other way, it had the stock cooler in place. Its pretty well accepted its a thing that can happen on the ls6. I have never been a wheel "sawer". My belief was as I got faster and held more rpm regularly this became an issue. It coinsides with the other tracks i have locally, as none of them allow you to hold 4th to redline so the time over 6k was minimal, as the motor would rev through 3rd quite quickly.

69427 i don't know that you have this issue, but its a different way to think about it, and the only resolution to that issue is to either under drive the stock pump dramaticly or get a pump that is built to function better on track and has pulley sizing options, like the turn1 hardware.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:18 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

After track day in Texas summer on short twisty track (I used to frequent) noticed fluid expanded and leaked out reservoir cap. Installed this Mocal cooler in series with oem C5Z cooler as easy solution...worked well.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:43 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

My steering rack was leaking in 2017 season, so I did a rack rebuild + T1 pump + Z51 cooler all at the same time. Haven't had any issues since
Old 08-03-2018, 08:58 PM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
Running a GM pump out of an '89 Grand-Am. Reasonably light weight with a v-belt pulley so it works with the stock belt system on the '69. I've got an underdrive crank pulley on the engine, and being a big block, I don't wing the crap outta the engine.
Funny I just had to replace mine before the last race, it was new at the start of the season, and suddenly quit. It is a stock mid 70s set up, and I did notice the press fit of the pulley didn't seem that tight this time so I tack welded it to the shaft. I am also running a BB Chevy, and probably hitting around 6500 rpm on the straits of the 1/4 mile oval.
Our races are fairly short, 4 lap dash, 8-10 lap heats, and 15-20 lap mains. We all run automatics except for one guy, and I run in low gear the whole race. I do have a large trans cooler.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:00 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

For a little perspective my LT1 Camaro does not eat pumps. I have hurt one before, but only to the point it made a little noise. It never stopped working. It was a PSC modded pump, I replaced it with a T1 modded pump and the PSC is my spare. Also have a T1 rack, satisfied with their work so far. I will say though that I run a significant underdrive pulley, a swirl pot/external reservoir, a trans cooler, and the aforementioned ported T1 pump. I believe the 4-fecta is necessary to keep the system alive long term. Now when it comes to the C5 cooler, I'm not so sure. Granted my C5Z has over 100k miles, that said it would always growl during a track weekend and a bit after too. I did do a full flush and had I continued to track it I would have installed a 2nd cooler in the bumper cover the size of the inlet screen in addition to an underdrive pulley. I do believe if you have a stock C5 cooler kicking around that you could put it in some clean air and get acceptable results.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:46 PM
Tech Contributor

Well, I'm convinced to install the late model p/s cooler. There's plenty of physical room in the volume in front of the radiator of the '69, but man, when the hood is raised the front of it just flips down and eats up a lot of the area to work in. I might just take the front grill(s) off and reach in from the front. Doesn't look like it's going to be fun.

Thanks again for all the input.

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering coolers

Quick Reply: Power steering coolers