Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 07:45 PM
Tbair64
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 83 Posts
Default need some advice

So. I got hooked on autocross about 5 years ago when I was able to ride along in a car for a event.
I was into the 60s pro touring style of cars and was building a car I could use at autocross/ track days and still drive on the street.
So a little about me so you get a sense of who I am and understand I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to cars. I was in business for 12 years building just the type of cars.I was the owner.
we did everything in house,
Fast forward to 1 year ago, I got a job offer I couldn't refuse. Working for the Rev's institute as there lead paint and body man and fabricator. Look it up if your curious. Quite the place.
Sold the business and the car . Moved 1200 miles south and don't regret a day of the move. I have never had much of an interest in later model sports cars until the move.
long story short I caught the fever. I really want to fulfill the urge to do as I intended and have a street car that can preform well at track days.
I bought a completely stock C5 Base corvette. low mileage. really nice car.
So what I would like to hear from people that have cars and seat time with recommendations on how to prep the car to do just as I suggested
my car is an automatic( Yes I know not the most desirable to use as a autocross car) But that's what I have to work with.
Performance axle package 3.15 rear gear. Z51 suspension option. Not looking to build a track car but would like it to preform well at the track.
suggestions?
thanks in advance. Tim
Old 07-28-2018, 07:47 PM
Tbair64
Racer

So here what I'm working with.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:27 AM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

Delrin bushing set from van steel, 35 mm van steel front bar, 1 inch adjustable rear bar, 4 18x10.5 rims from bobs house of wheels, 4 315 hoosier a7s , koni shocks yellows, max rear negative camber front camber around -2.8 caster +6.5 zero toe alignment. If you can drive you will be battling for FTD.
The following users liked this post:
Tbair64 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 07:08 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by sccaGT1racer
Delrin bushing set from van steel, 35 mm van steel front bar, 1 inch adjustable rear bar, 4 18x10.5 rims from bobs house of wheels, 4 315 hoosier a7s , koni shocks yellows, max rear negative camber front camber around -2.8 caster +6.5 zero toe alignment. If you can drive you will be battling for FTD.
good advice, bigger sway bars are huge difference. and make sure you have metal endlinks and not the plastic that was used in the earlier years of C5. I'll talk to you when I'm in on Tuesday, I'm there a full day, Tim.
Tbair64 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 08:53 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

Put a trans cooler on the car. Change the rear diff gear set to a 3.45/3.54 or 3.70. Decide how you want to build the engine. Once, you have all the aforementioned decided and installed, have a custom torque converter built for your setup by a reputable torque converter builder and have the trans built accordingly with the right valve body for autocrossing in second gear. The second gear (1.63) ratio is pretty tall even with the 3.45/3.54 or a 3.70 gear set but, with the right torque converter and cam you should be able to pull hard in second gear with a lot of torque coming off a tight/slow corner. The right torque converter will do you right in the slow/tight corners on an autocross course.

On an autocross course you want to run the entire course in second. If the tranny keeps downshifting into first on the tight stuff, you don't have the right setup/torque converter.

Last edited by Nokones; 07-29-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:24 PM
Tbair64
Racer

Thanks for the information. I've checked into some of the parts suggested. The Bilstien shocks are on back order and have a wait list. Is there any other shock that could be used in place if them.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:36 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Before I could make any recommendations, I'd need to know a couple of things. Answer some questions.
  1. How competitive are you? Do you want to win trophies? Or is driving the thing just the justification for time spent building and modifying the car?
  2. Where on this planet are you located? What club(s) have autocross events in your area?
  3. How much modification do you really want to do?
  4. Is the car currently "factory original" and completely stock? or are there already mods made to the car?
The first thing you need to get is a rule book from whatever club/sanctioning body you'll be running with. If there's more than one organization, get all the rule books.

Personal safety equipment (mainly a good helmet) is next.

Then, based on your answers to the other questions, I can make some better recommendations where to start. Tires are usually the good first step, with a spare set of wheels to mount the "autocross" tires on.

One thing you don't want to do, especially if you're competitive and trophies are important, is make any modifications that will land you in a category/class that you're not fully prepared for and aren't competitive in without spending a boatload of money. It's easy to make that mistake.

BTW, an automatic transmission isn't as bad as you might think for autocrossing. You can be quite competitive with an automatic.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 07-30-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:53 AM
Tbair64
Racer

Thanks guys. I believe I covered most of the questions on my opening statement.
I'm fairly competitive but in this situation more for fun than anything.
autocross for me is not an all out series or points race. For me it will just be attending some local events from time to time. And driving at some open track says. Nothing more.
I just dont have the time to put into an every weekend thing. Nor do I want to travel all the time. I do plenty of both at work.
I know the effort it takes to take car to a track event. As we attend and race plenty. Some times as many as 6 cars at a time.
I'm just not looking to do that for myself.
but I do like to get in my own car and have a bit of fun from time to time.

Last edited by Tbair64; 07-31-2018 at 07:57 AM.
dclafleur (07-31-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To need some advice

Quick Reply: need some advice