Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a book on C6 handling

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 07:52 PM
SteveJewels
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 186 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Looking for a book on C6 handling

700+ WHP has convinced me to up the rubber on the rear. 2010 base. Tomorrow it will go to the shop to have Z06 quarter panels added and painted. I have a pair of Z06 rear wheels, 19X12 and will try a pair of 345/30-19 R888r's. I expect this will upset the handling but I don't know in what way. As it is now it is unsafe. If I am at all aggressive with the throttle the rear tires, Mich SS 305/35-19's spin and the rear wants to be in front or I can feel it shifting from one tire to the other as the LSD looks for the wheel that has grip.

I am somewhat limited as to the front tires. I ordered some C6 Z06 rep wheels, 18X9.5 +56 so I can go up a bit from the 245/40-18 factory size, maybe 255 or 265. I plan on Mich Sport 4S's.

I don't know much about handling. I have started reading "How To Make Your Car Handle" and looking for others. Most of what I am finding is dated and doesn't address the transverse FRP mono-leaf springs.

A C6 specific book is probably too much to ask for, barring that a book that can help me understand C6 handling and what increasing the tire width from 285 to 345 on going from a 300 TW to a 100 TW, R compound tire will do to the handling. That and how to generally improve the handling would be interesting.

I have the Magneto Rheological system and a Jim Mero Super Sport suspension tune.

Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car, understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. HP is how fast you hit the wall, and TQ is how far you push the wall when you hit it.

Although I don't race I am posting this here as I figure the most knowledge will be found.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2020, 09:41 AM
GS_DAN
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Check out the Speed Secrets series of books by Ross Bentley. Also, "Going Faster! Mastering the Art of Race Driving".
Old 10-12-2020, 07:23 PM
SteveJewels
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you Dan. They look interesting.

I am looking more for information on the hardware aspects of handling, shocks, tires, springs, anti-sway bars and to some extent alignment.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:31 PM
Sphurley
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Are you trying to drag race it or AutoX and HPDE? Call Sam Strano @ Stranoparts.com, Spend the right money first time. 700+ is a little crazy for AutoX or tracking. Unless you have a ton of cooling mods done, you're in for a wake up call.
Ask me how I know.......
Old 10-12-2020, 11:36 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If your looking for more traction and stability with the car take it and get it corner balanced and aligned first. You could just have a bad alignment. You’re in Dayton, OH so make an appointment with Paul Curly at Tire Discounters in I think Kettering or Centerville. He knows what he’s doing. May be able to help you with some Viking Coilovers too. Paul knows what he’s doing; just won Optima GTL class at NCM this past weekend. This is where I’d start and of course tires are definitely an item of importance.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:52 AM
SteveJewels
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you for all the input, especially who to talk to about an alignment.

At this point I am seeking information, a book, to help me learn about handling in general and, if possible, the C6 in specific.

If I had to pick something, suitability for HPDE would probably be the most representative of the handling characteristics I am looking to achieve.

Yes, 700+ HP is a bit much for most types of racing other than the drag racing family. I like having the power. What I essentially was looking for, and got, when I bought this car was an LS3 with a supercharger in a package (C6) that could be made to handle quite well and was aesthetically pleasing.

Being a technical person by nature, I would like to learn how the different components, shocks, tires, springs, anti-sway bars and to some extent alignment, affect handling and how to make them work together.

I expect the wider, stickier tires in the rear will upset the handling but I don't know in what way.

I would like to learn about the mechanics of handling.

Information on transverse FRP mono-leaf springs is especially hard to find.

That and how to generally improve the handling would be interesting.

I don't race, at least nothing organized.

Again, thank you.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:45 AM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

The stock rear suspension bushings are going to moving alot with 700 rwhp. A set of mono ball or delrin bushings and a alignment is where id start.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:15 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets.html

Although dated, this is a good resource. The e-book is worthwhile although most of the content can be found on the website.

Don’t let the fact that Dennis Grant ran an Eagle Talon taint your thoughts about the book as a lot of content is C5 Z06 oriented as he worked for a (now closed) Detroit area shop that did aftermarket and prep work for autox, and the owner had a couple of C5 Z06s.

Last edited by acrace; 10-13-2020 at 07:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
l98tpi (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 09:30 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by acrace
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets.html

Although dated, this is a good resource. The e-book is worthwhile although most of the content can be found on the website.

Don’t let the fact that Dennis Grant ran an Eagle Talon taint your thoughts about the book as a lot of content is C5 Z06 oriented as he worked for a (now closed) Detroit area shop that did aftermarket and prep work for autox, and the owner had a couple of C5 Z06s.

Yes excellent read.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a book on C6 handling

Quick Reply: Looking for a book on C6 handling