Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible to flip the front LCA bushing? on C5

Old 07-31-2018, 11:16 AM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Possible to flip the front LCA bushing? on C5

My rear front LCA bushing shoulder was chewed up due to braking forces. I replaced with some cheap prothane poly but they are NOT any better and front LCA is VERY close to metal on metal, plus I'm loosing a lot of caster.

Measuring the space on each side of the bushings, seems NOT possible to flip the front bushing due to the shoulder thickness. Have other people done this? I'd hate to get everything apart and fail.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:07 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshboody
My rear front LCA bushing shoulder was chewed up due to braking forces. I replaced with some cheap prothane poly but they are NOT any better and front LCA is VERY close to metal on metal, plus I'm loosing a lot of caster.

Measuring the space on each side of the bushings, seems NOT possible to flip the front bushing due to the shoulder thickness. Have other people done this? I'd hate to get everything apart and fail.
Hey, how's it going? I did Pfadt poly on mine. Stiil good. I have some ca's for sale if you need then I bump every fri in the c5 f/s section. I have been "told" flip does not work, but I have been know to try stuff anyway.

Bought a c6z now.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:03 AM
heavyzee
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

havent had any issues with the LCA... UCA it is normal to have to flip them due to braking forces. I had to with my AFE crapola Poly setup
Old 08-01-2018, 11:27 AM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I flipped upper long ago. Not sure if this was gradual or more sudden... surprising I missed it if been like this for awhile. I'm leaning toward Delrin replacement on just these arms for now.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Go with a good set of replacement bushings. Flipping bushings really won't work. The early C5 LCAs seemed to be more susceptible to bushing slip than the later ones. In 6 years the ones on my 97 were metal to metal running about 5 track days per year and a number of autocrosses per year. The 03 Z went 6 years on the stock bushings with no slippage doing 10 track days per year while running much lower lap times and doing more autocrosses.

Bill
Old 08-06-2018, 12:43 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Agree with Bill, the latest stock c5z rubber ones appear to be a better quality and/or life. Keep in mind if you do poly or delrin, and this from my personal experience, those are nice on a smooth track/autox venue if you can put up with the extra nvh on the street. On a rough autox lot (think SD) you will wish you had the rubber back. Skipping the car like a stone on a pond from peak to peak of the bumps/patches/grates/etc. does not result in a fast lap time although your car control skills will get a useful workout.

My new to me c6z is a smooth operator (with stock rubber bushings) compared to my c5z with t1 springs and Pfadt bushings. On track my c5z is on rails. But I have no intention of messing with the rubber bushing ca's on the c6z.

Last edited by froggy47; 08-06-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:17 AM
cpt11gs
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Go with a good set of replacement bushings. Flipping bushings really won't work. The early C5 LCAs seemed to be more susceptible to bushing slip than the later ones...

Bill
Does anyone sell just the rubber bushings without having to buy new arms also?

Old 08-07-2018, 12:59 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by cpt11gs

Does anyone sell just the rubber bushings without having to buy new arms also?

About 2 weeks late, just sold a set.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:26 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Borg sells individual Delrin bushings... I ended up ordering only the front LCA, which if pieced together is only slightly higher than the full set. A great deal I think!

Get notified of new replies

To Possible to flip the front LCA bushing? on C5

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible to flip the front LCA bushing? on C5