C6 repairs after a small engine fire - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 repairs after a small engine fire

Old 08-06-2018, 08:31 AM
Scooter70
CF Senior Member

Default C6 repairs after a small engine fire

I had an engine fire at MidOhio in June. The oil cooler line got too close to the header and failed, spraying oil on the hot exhaust. We were able to get out of the car safely and the safety crew got the fire out before it got too bad. Now I need to get it torn apart and rebuilt so I'm going to have some questions.

First, some photos:

First question: The last photo shows the wiring harness that comes up the fender and goes to the brake master cylinder. There are two other connectors on that harness that weren't connected to anything. What are they for?

Second: The third photo shows melted EVAP lines. Can I delete the EVAP system and eliminate those lines? Does it just need to be capped at the tank? Do I need to turn it off in the PCM?

Third: I want to bypass the heater core and remove those hoses. How do I need to run the hoses to still use the expansion tank?

Thanks!
-Matt
Old 08-06-2018, 01:44 PM
c5racr1
CF Senior Member

Feel your pain
Old 08-06-2018, 01:49 PM
c5racr1
CF Senior Member

Good news is the major wiring harness runs on the other side of the motor. Bad news is you need to keep tearing stuff off until you find out everything that’s damaged. There is a major harness that runs behind the motor, you also have knock sensor harness and a bunch of other stuff down there. You need to at least get to those harness and see if they are alive. I thought it would be a simple fix and it was not. I had to replace the Ecm harness, the trans harness, and chase multiple shorted wire problems. Good luck as far as eliminating the heater hose you can just put block the rear one and run the front one to the water res.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:50 PM
c5racr1
CF Senior Member

You can see how the water hoses go on the picture.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:23 PM
Scooter70
CF Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. I have the engine harness out of the car and will be sending it off to be repaired. There really wasn't as much damage to it as I thought.

Your water hose setup is exactly what I was thinking. I just wanted to make sure it would work as expected.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: